Logging CrossFit exercises

Options
TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
I just joined CrossFit a couple weeks ago and I love it! It's especially helpful for me because I have no experience lifting weights.

I was wondering how you guys log crossfit exercises. Do you use something to measure calories burned or do you think MFP is accurate when you log for 'weight training'?

Also, how many calories do you eat a day? I know that I need to eat more, but as to how much more, I'm not so sure.

If it helps, I'm 5 foot 2 inches tall, 22 years old and weight about 115. (i'd get down to 110 if I could, but I figure gaining muscle and losing fat may keep me at 115 anyway...)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I created an exercise called 'CrossFit' and I wear a heart rate monitor, so I use the calories burned from that when I log. I usually make note of the strength/skill we worked on plus the WOD in my notes.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I created a exercise called Crossfit as well but haven't use a heart rate monitor so am guessing at my cals burned. I Would be interested to hear what the ave cals burned are for everyone?
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    I think this is a great question - I know that each WOD is different and that I can't be completely accurate, but a general idea would be nice. I have been logging it as Circuit Training, general.
  • megallegos
    megallegos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way I've been logging my workouts as Circuit too and logging the time that we begin the WOD to the end, then noting the WOD and the warm up time. This is my fourth week in, I've just started loggin my work outs so it will be interesting to see the progress.

Absolutely LOVE crossfit....
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Circuit training and calisthenics both come up with similar calorie totals
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I created an exercise called "CrossFit" and I based the original estimate on how hard I work when running the same distance. For example, I typically do a 10 minute mile, 100 calories. If I do 20 min of CrossFit, I compare that to how hard I would have worked running 2 miles and log those calories.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I wear a HR monitor to Crossfit and for the hour (usually warm up, strength activity of some sort, then WOD), I burn between 450-600 calories. On insane days, I have burned 700. My average heart rate is usually between 135 and 150 for the whole hour.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I quit logging food and exercise. I did it for a year and weened myself off of both. Felt like MFP was a crutch and I had to see if I could stay true without it.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    I wear a HRM and lot calories burned during the warm up, WOD, and cool down/skill building. When we did Karen a few days ago my HR hit 191 and I burned 760 calories during an hour workout. insane. today we did 4 rounds of pullups, pushups, situps and double unders I burned 575. Our coaches make our warm ups hard though, lol.
  • tdessert
    tdessert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great Idea,
    I was having trouble figuring out how to calculate calories burned for a CF workout as well. Was wondering what kind of heart rate monitor you have and would you suggest it as something you love and would buy again?
    Theresa
  • littlehokie
    Options
    Great Idea,
    I was having trouble figuring out how to calculate calories burned for a CF workout as well. Was wondering what kind of heart rate monitor you have and would you suggest it as something you love and would buy again?
    Theresa

I have had the polar FT7 for 3 years and it's fabulous. Any Polar brand one is good, none of the other brands are as accurate.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    1 calorie burned ;)

Seriously though, try a TDEE approach and don't log exercise.

Also, HRMs are HIGHLY inaccurate for non-steady state cardio activities.

Just as a gauge, typical weightlifting burns are 200 cals an hr, figure depending on the metcon you could be anywhere from 50-200 calories for that. I would say you're not burning more than 400 cals for an hour of CrossFit.

ATHLETES (not your avg gym goer or even CrossFitter) burn about 10cals/min so anything exceeding 600 cals is probably wrong. You're not going balls to the wall for a full hour of CrossFit... 15-30 minutes of strength work, balls to the wall during a WOD for 15-30 minutes, and some stretching.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I created a "CrossFit" exercise, and I have a Polar FT4 that I wear. My burns vary from a few hundred to over 700, depending on the level of *kitten* kicking. LOL! I don't log my food anymore, but continue to log my burns. I like to look back and see my progress throughout my history.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For logging calories burned, for better or worse, CrossFit culture frowns on heart rate monitors. For logging CrossFit in MFP, I enter the total number of minutes the actual WOD takes, subtracting out rest intervals. So it we have a 15 minute WOD with 4 minutes of rest intervals in there, I would log 11 minutes as either Calisthenics or Circuit Training (both are the same amt of cal/minute). Unfortunately, it is too difficult for MFP to figure out how much calories weight lifting burns so it does not give you any calories for logging squats, bench press, cleans, etc which sucks because it IS burning lots of calories.

Here is what I have found. I have a desk job so MFP suggest to remain at my current weight I should eat 2,300 calories/day. Over a 16 week period I have averaged about 2,900 calories/day (gross) and 2,500 cal net and lost 13.4 lbs. So in reality, if 1 lb=3,600 calories then I would need to eat 3,300 calories/day to maintain my current weight. That means that for me, as a CrossFitter, the recommended daily caloric intake to maintain current weight is off by 1,100 calories. That is a ****load of discrepancy and shows the shortcomings of this otherwise awesome website to accurately predict caloric needs for anything other than traditional cardio.

The reason, from what I can gather, is that the standard model for calories burned during workouts has some holes in it for the combination of the type of weightlifting and interval training that we do. The only way to really determine how much you need is to log your meals and calories and see what happens. I keep a detailed spreadsheet which has helped me determine how much cal I need to gain and loose weight. I recently hit a point I never imagined that I would be in that I wanted to stop dropping weight.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    I created a "CrossFit" exercise, and I have a Polar FT4 that I wear. My burns vary from a few hundred to over 700, depending on the level of *kitten* kicking. LOL! I don't log my food anymore, but continue to log my burns. I like to look back and see my progress throughout my history.

Assuming you do a typical CF workout of 60 minutes... well, I hate to break it to you but you aren't burning over 700 calories in that time. Weighlifting for 30 minutes burns roughly 100 calories, like I explained above.

Typical CF session at all boxes I've been to:
    5-10 min warm up - up to 50 calories
    5 min mobility - 25 calories
    15-20 min strength work - 75 calories
    15-30 min WOD - 200-300 calories
    5 min cash out/stretching - 25-50 calories
    500 cals burned on a good day
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Assuming you do a typical CF workout of 60 minutes... well, I hate to break it to you but you aren't burning over 700 calories in that time. Weighlifting for 30 minutes burns roughly 100 calories, like I explained above.

Like I said, CrossFit is too complicated for the simple algorithms in MFP to calculate. Yes, your HRM may show that it is nearly impossible to burn more than 500 calories in a 1 hour CrossFit session but this is really shortsighted. The hormonal and metabolic benefits that occur as a result of such an exercise program continue around the clock. There is a lot of science supporting this. My fear is that such comments will make CrossFit look less attractive to those serious about changing body composition than an hour of running on a treadmill. I am not trying to attack you. Obviously you have found the value in CrossFit. I just wanted others that are desperately seeking fat loss to consider that MFP calculations for anything other than traditional cardio are flawed.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    People tend to overestimate their caloric burns during any exercise. I thought I was burning a lot more during CF than I actually was, hence why I saw hardly any changes in body composition and weightloss while I thought I was eating at a deficit. WHICH is why I suggest not using an HRM because they aren't accurate for anything other than steady state cardio. And also why I suggested using TDEE calculators and then monitoring progress. If calories are logged accurately, it doesn't take very long for someone to tweak what a TDEE calculator spits out to actually fit what their body is doing.

Any person who does a little research knows that weightlifting with moderate cardio will improve body composition way more than cranking out hours on an elliptical.
  • polkie05
    polkie05 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why does the CF community dislike people wearing HRMs?????

Also you suggest not to wear them because they are inaccurate??? What's the logic behind it? I'm really curious
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I log as circuit training.
  • littlehokie
    Options

That's very general. I wear mine every single WOD and start it during warm up and stop it after the WOD or stretching depending on when I remember and I consistently burn 500-700 depending on the WOD. Isn't that more accurate than estimating? I'm not planning on eating the calories or even tracking what I eat since I eat mainly Paleo but I just like to know what I"m burning. Who cares if someone wants to wear a HRM and others don't?