How to work out with a clingy baby

Options
My son is 9 months old this Saturday. I wanted to wait until he could crawl before I start working out since I am a stay at home mom but now he wants to either have what I am using or wants to be held all the time. I want to at least less the baby weight before his first birthday but at this rate I wont be able to with him being clingy. Any ideas of what things I can do with him and still lose weight without going to the gym or outside?

Replies

• aleksandra615
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, because I am in the same boat! My baby girl is 3 months old and it's a rare minute I have to myself. When I do manage to get her to nap (sleeps amazing at night, daytime is a work in progress) I am trying to catch up with housework. When is there time to work out? Never! I wish I could freeze time for an hour a day to get a good workout in. I am looking into buying some fitness DVDs, some friends have suggest Jillian Michaels...some have pretty quick and intense workouts. Maybe start to devote just 20 minutes at a time to it and see what happens. Maybe your baby would enjoy watching you workout?
  • mbcorns
    Options
    Hey ladies, my son is 7.5 months old and he is my third. My best advice with a 9 month old is to set a nap time and stick to it. Sometimes your baby might wake up early from his nap, but if that is the designated nap time it certainly won't hurt him to hang out in his crib for a little longer while you finish your work out. I know scheduling a baby's feeding and nap times is controversial so if you disagree that's fine, I am not looking for a debate (there's lots of sites for that) but I just saw your post and thought it might help you to try a schedule. I'm assuming he takes 2 naps a day? Perhaps just pick one and set a start and an end time. Then add a few safe toys to the crib so he can occupy himself if he wakes early. Please note, this is my advice for a baby who is at least 6 months old and sleeping in a safe environment. I also would recommend listening for the baby when he wakes up, if he wakes up screaming and that's not the norm, I would at least check on him to make sure he's not in some sort of distress. The overall idea here is that if baby's needs are met, there is no reason why he can't wait a little while for you to finish whatever you are doing. I personally think that this can help reinforce the idea that he is part of a family and sometimes someone else's needs might have to come before his. Also a happy (fit) mama is a good mama for him to have! Good luck!
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine gets a little fussy too. I would suggest using a baby carrier ex baby bjorn to have the baby close to you and do your workout. there are also plenty of dvd's that include your little one in the action.
    Also mall walking was amazing for me.
  • astronima
    astronima Posts: 35
    Options
    I tried to involve my exercise with my little man. He is super clingy during this phase and is 15 months old. If possible try going for a walk with your baby in the stroller. My little man has loved this since he was 4 months old and still does. I also agree with abitzan try doing a workout routine that involves your baby. Then they can do it with you and be around you. :smile:
    Don't be discouraged if you don't lose the weight by the 1 yr mark. I think that's every Mom's hope, but it doesn't always happen. :flowerforyou: I still have 8lbs to lose and it's been over a year.
  • TaraRyaz
    TaraRyaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 16 months now & it has gotten easier...some days at least she will amuse herself as long as I am in the room with her. Here's what worked for me when she was littler

1. Nap time. They say sleep when the baby sleeps, but it's more like furiously clean, attempt to shower/put yourself together while the baby sleeps! I got an elliptical and would do just 10 minutes at first and a quick shower afterward. I had to do this super quick like that because my daughter was used to sleeping with me so she was a really light napper. Instead of long work outs a few times a week on the elliptical I would do short ones multiple times per day and at least 10 minutes every day.

2. Go for daily walks & challenge yourself to pick up the pace. I still do this and we walk a few miles nearly every day. I am not a runner, but obviously that would be even better. My husband jogs with our daughter & she looks forward to it now.

3. Dance like an idiot. My daughter was fascinated when she was little, now she totally joins in.

4. Use the sedentary moments to stretch a little. While breast feeding I do little exercises like leg lifts & toe points...I just get so bored, I figure I might as well use that time.

5. Also I would straighten up while carrying her around in a hiking backpack for babies...it's like a backpack with a hard frame as opposed to one of those fabric slings. She loved it and it made life much easier when it came to getting stuff done. Light exercise while wearing it is more challenging!