Going to sign up for a 5K--anybody in?!?!

Options
I am going to do at least one 5K this year. I don't know if I'll be able to run the whole thing (we'll see how I do with the C25K (Couch to 5K program.) At the very least, I will walk a 5K.

My small town has quite a few each year. The first one is the end of February, and I don't think I'll be close to ready. I could walk it. (5K = about 3.1 miles). I normally walk 2 miles a day. But I want to be prepared to run at least a good part of it.

So, the next opportunity is May 11th Race for the Zoo.
Then July 7th Alien Chase (I live in Roswell, NM. What can I say?)

I'm going to sign up for these (and, if I like it, maybe I'll do the other 3 in the fall!)

Want to find a race (walk/run) in your area? Check out www.Active.com/running.

Anybody else want to join me?

Replies

• EmilyJZ
    EmilyJZ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This Alien Chase sounds fun! My husband almost had me talked into a road trip to Roswell for my birthday but then I decided to go to New Orleans to see my friend. Could I pull off another road trip??? hmmm....

My long term goal is to run a marathon. I have been working out for almost 2 months and I am still walking so I don't know whats in the cards this year. My brother and I have set a concrete goal to run a marathon in 2015 when he gets back from Afganistan. There is a marathon in Lincoln, Nebraska for the National Guard (what my brother is in) so maybe I should start finding humid areas to go run. Colorado isnt that great when it comes to humidity. lol.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This Alien Chase sounds fun! My husband almost had me talked into a road trip to Roswell for my birthday but then I decided to go to New Orleans to see my friend. Could I pull off another road trip??? hmmm....

Many people wear costumes for the Alien chase! If you ever come down to Roswell, let me know. We'll show you the sites! :)
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    I am going to do at least one 5K this year. I don't know if I'll be able to run the whole thing (we'll see how I do with the C25K (Couch to 5K program.) At the very least, I will walk a 5K.

My small town has quite a few each year. The first one is the end of February, and I don't think I'll be close to ready. I could walk it. (5K = about 3.1 miles). I normally walk 2 miles a day. But I want to be prepared to run at least a good part of it.

So, the next opportunity is May 11th Race for the Zoo.
    Then July 7th Alien Chase (I live in Roswell, NM. What can I say?)

I'm going to sign up for these (and, if I like it, maybe I'll do the other 3 in the fall!)

Want to find a race (walk/run) in your area? Check out www.Active.com/running.

Anybody else want to join me?

I was just wondering if you got a doctors ok before you started this?
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It is on my short list to discuss with the doctor for my pre-op physical. The one I would want to run is in June. Every year I say I am going to do it. This year might have to be the year I do it!
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    im doing a 5k mud run in october. with obsticles. When the colour run dates are announced i will do that as well.
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We're signed up for the Biggest Loser 5K! REALLY excited!! It's not until the fall, so in between we're planning on the Glow Run and maybe the Color Run. I won't be running any of them, but walking instead. My knees are not going to allow that. I'm still paying for the 3 hours of walking I did on Saturday. :(

Considering the Warrior Dash, too...my 16 year old did it last summer and is convinced I could do it, but I'll have to see how I feel as we get closer to summer for that!!

:glasses: How cool of a group are we!?! All this motivation all the way around!!
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'll do some when it warms up. I have no shame in walkin'. :smile:
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There's a big 'City to surf' fun run here in August which has a 5k walking section - my sister and niece have wanted to do it for the last two years, but I didn't cos I felt I was too fat and unfit then they didn't end up doing it either. This year I think I'll try to get all of us girls doing it this year. No more excuses :)
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options

I was just wondering if you got a doctors ok before you started this?

I didn't specifically ask my doctor about running, but he has been after me to get moving.
  • KatArceneaux
    Options
    I'm in!!! Just have to pick one before the pavement starts melting. I also highly recommend THE COLOR RUN!!!

motivation_zps5b81e020.jpg
  • rlv2
    rlv2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi ,

I ran 2 5k's last summer. I never thought In a million years I could ever run with being 250 pds... but I did it. It was alot of fun and hope to sign up for another one in April or May !! : )
  • rlv2
    Options
    LOVE THIS !!!!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    Hi ,

I ran 2 5k's last summer. I never thought In a million years I could ever run with being 250 pds... but I did it. It was alot of fun and hope to sign up for another one in April or May !! : )

That give me hope! Heading out to the treadmill do to C25K W2D2
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm committed to doing a 5K walk on the first Saturday of March.......kind of scared! LOL!
  • rlv2
    Options
    Yes.. that is what I used.. couch to 5k.. and it really worked and I was slow ... but I didnt stop and I finished... ; )
  • KatArceneaux
    Options
    Finally summoned the courage to officially sign up for the Biggest Loser RunWalk Texas 5K Off-Road Challenge on May 18th. It's a combination mud run, obstacle run (optional) and trail run on a ranch in the Texas Hill Country ...YiKeS!!! I guess it's time to kick this up a notch and throw some actual trails, stadium bleachers, etc. into the weekly walking mix :)
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I've moved back my first 5K. I was planning to run/walk in May (Race for the Zoo). But I just found out that the Walk for Hope (Cancer walk) is the night before (6-10 pm). And a good friend is undergoing chemo right now. So I'm going to walk (probably more than a 5K that night!)
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    elis_mama...how did your 5k go?
  • KatArceneaux
    Options
    I've moved back my first 5K. I was planning to run/walk in May (Race for the Zoo). But I just found out that the Walk for Hope (Cancer walk) is the night before (6-10 pm). And a good friend is undergoing chemo right now. So I'm going to walk (probably more than a 5K that night!)

Julie, that is going to be a wonderful walk for a great cause!!!
    I wish Roswell wasn't so far away. My kids would've loved the alien-themed 5k. We "detoured" through Roswell on our way home from Taos last summer. The kids thought it was very neat! :happy:
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options

Julie, that is going to be a wonderful walk for a great cause!!!
    I wish Roswell wasn't so far away. My kids would've loved the alien-themed 5k. We "detoured" through Roswell on our way home from Taos last summer. The kids thought it was very neat! :happy:

They do it every year, so maybe one of these years..... :) Just let me know when you come through! :)