Snacks

Options
tsherrill
tsherrill Posts: 35 Member
Okay, so I'm having trouble finding good cheap snacks that actually help me feel full. The best I've found is beef jerky, but it's expensive and even the low salt stuff is still a sodium bomb. I should also add that I dislike banana's and have no refrigerator acess at work.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of these, although they are a little pricey when not on sale.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kashi-Chewy-Granola-Almond-6-Count/dp/B002DHNIBG

What about stuff like baby carrots?
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    oatmeal! nuts! fruit leathers! crackers?
  • ThomasNMn
    Options
    Air popped popcorn, olive oil and kernel seasonings topping. I make a batch most nights. 170 calories total, thou the kernel seasons is high sodium, however there are low sodium versions. Most of the calories come from the olive oil. The popcorn is a couple bucks for a bag, the kernel seasonings is under 2 bucks a container, and olive oil isn't too expensive and lasts a long time.

If you are looking for protein, try Greek yogurt - filling and you can find it for like a buck a container.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Love Greek yogurt and for something crunchy Special K crackers

http://www.specialk.com/crackers/savory-herb/
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds!
  • LMMelch123
    LMMelch123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    all of the above are great choices ... I've tried most of them and feel satisfied. Do you have access to Aldi's food store? They have 100 cal. snack packs under their Fit and Active brand that aren't bad and reasonably priced.
  • Hephree
    Hephree Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have found these little packets to be delicious and filling, though I never really allow myself to go more than 3-5 hours without a small meal (aside from sleepy-time)
    but check them out if you want, they're great!

http://www.backtonaturefoods.com/product-detail.aspx?category=granolas&productname=Honey-Almond&product=5928300015
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies. Or if you need something low cal but still feel like your snacking on something bad (like me lol) I shop at Aldi and they have the Fit and Active brand. Great stuff, delish, low cal!
  • KitoBrandt
    KitoBrandt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find trail mix, yogurt, and granola to be my go to healthy snack. Great way to not go crazy on calories.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you are a fan of jerky you can always make it yourself. I find that Emeril's recipe is very delicious, and you can monitor the salt.

I also make my own granola, so easy and wicked tasty.

If all else fails, I go for the Aldi fit and light, I'd rather make it homemade so I know what I'm eating.. but their snacks are pretty darn tasty.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Apple slices with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Luna Bars are marketed toward women, but they're 180 cals and come in many tasty flavors.

Just the other day I found a Tuperware-type container specifically for salad. It has that special freezer stuff between the layers, so you stick the container in the freezer the day before and then it keeps your salad cold for the rest of the day. There was a place in the top for the dressing.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Almonds, Greek yogurt, carrots with hummus, apples with peanut butter, homemade protein bars (I have a recipe, if you need it!)