Sore Knees!

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
I had started my c25k 3 weeks ago and after having a good start I am having pain in my knees, not too much but while running I am feeling it. In addition to that I am trying to do more walking. I have a couple of questions:

How many days should I rest for? 3-4 days or untill the pain goes away completely?

Seocndly should I use ice packs on the knees or treat them with hot water bottle? Please advise:)

Replies

• eternity365
    eternity365 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have sore knees as well. And I ran only one lap around stadium:(. I know that is because of wrong technique. but i don know how to fix it.
    As much as i know you should ice it and you should rest till pain subsides.
  • karebear22776
    karebear22776 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try asking either a doctor or a store like the Running Room...if you have one where you are located. Sometimes it is technique and sometimes there is not enough cartilidge in your knees so you are feeling the high impact
  • umer76
    Options
    I am using ice on them and not doing running for the next few days.
  • jc1231
    jc1231 Posts: 67
    Options
    Could it be your shoes? They say that shoes need to be replaced every 3-6 months or a certain number of miles. Check the tread on the bottom of your shoes to make sure there is enough support. Also, the type of shoe? Is it a running shoe or cross trainer? Try going to a specialty running shoe store. I went to one and they basically watched me walk and told me I was in the 10-15% of the population that supeonates (sp?). Basically, that means I walk on the outside of my feet and most people walk on the inside. They were able to fit me with a shoe that works best for ME. It has made a huge difference. I also tried running and was getting bad shin splints. I went back and they gave me some orthodics to put in and that fixed the problem. Good luck and hope you heal up soon!
  • wasmws1138
    Options
    I have had 2 surgeries on my right knee. Both surgeries were years ago but since then I have had to deal with soreness. I wear a wrap to generate heat during the activity when I'm going to really push it (walking for more than an hour, running, hiking, etc).

There are a lot of different reasons that you could be having sour knees. I think the shoes would be a great place to start. If the shoes don't have the right padding, your knees are going to really be impacted. I agree with jc1231, a running store will be able to fit you with a good pair of running shoes, which are then also great for walking.

If they are really hurting ice them down. I also take a couple of excedrine or advil to help bring the swealing down.

I think resting them is also a good idea. The primary thing I have learned is do what feels right to you.
  • umer76
    Options
    I have had 2 surgeries on my right knee. Both surgeries were years ago but since then I have had to deal with soreness. I wear a wrap to generate heat during the activity when I'm going to really push it (walking for more than an hour, running, hiking, etc).

There are a lot of different reasons that you could be having sour knees. I think the shoes would be a great place to start. If the shoes don't have the right padding, your knees are going to really be impacted. I agree with jc1231, a running store will be able to fit you with a good pair of running shoes, which are then also great for walking.

If they are really hurting ice them down. I also take a couple of excedrine or advil to help bring the swealing down.

I think resting them is also a good idea. The primary thing I have learned is do what feels right to you.

Actually I didn't think of the shoes could be a reason is because I have been to the running store where they tried difference shoes on me while I was walking on the treadmill. They make a video where your foot is going. Based on the best support I was recommended Asics gel shoes which I am using since July 2012. These were quite expensive shoes and my physio also used to recommend me Asics shoes. I think shoes might not be the reason.

I hope it is only a temporary pain because I was doing 8-10 km almost 2-3 times a week. I was not used to do this much walk in my life. But the pedometer step counting was pushing me to do more. I did 16000 steps in one day. May be I was doing over which is the reason for this pain now.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I got a couple days of my c25k in but now my knees (especially the right one are killing me. The pain is constant and sharper when I turn or bend it or put weight on it. I think I'm going to wait a few weeks and try again after taxes start so that I can get a pair of shoes not from the cheap section of Walmart lol!! I liked the feeling of running and would like to incorporate it in my regular schedule. That will give me time to talk to the doctor about it as well. Good luck!!
  • stamfordjules
    stamfordjules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but have been reading up on running recently, I'm on week 4 of "0-30mins in 8 weeks":

-Shoes, def could be the problem. You should be running on the treadmill (not walking) when they do your gait analysis and have this reviewed at least every 6 months (depending on how many miles you are putting in and how much your weight has changed)

-Clothing, I've bought a compression base layer and my previous problem of painful shins has not come up. Result!

-Frame, your cario system gets fitter quicker than your frame (bones, muscles, tendons etc.), so doing too much too soon could cause injury. At the end of my session I feel I have the energy to do loads more but I'm sticking to the plan to avoid issues

-Case studies, I recently read an article written by 3 women who all had previous pain complaints before they started running. Each one said their pain got worse before it got better! As above as the exercise strengthend their frames the pain decreased

Saying that, I think it's important to check out you don't have an actual injury before putting too much pressure on it.

Hope this helps
    Jules
    x
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert by any means but I think it might be your shoes. July 2012 you got your shoes, you may have worn out the arches in your shoes. I only use my asics shoes at the gym and I run about 100 miles a month. They look beautiful on the outside, not worn at all, and they need to be replaced after about 3 months. My arches just disapear in them, which causes shin splints and knee pain. Another thing is I run with knee braces 3 of my 6 workouts a week. That has helped a lot with my knee pain.

So, my recommendation go get your shoes checked out again at the running store you went to. They may be worn. I know they are crazy expensive but well worth it to replace if your a runner. Also, maybe look into getting a knee brace.

I keep my worn out shoes for my day to day errands, so it isn't like you are throwing them out either. They still get great use.
  • umer76
    Options
    stamfordjules & jchepulis thanks for your observations and suggestions. Looks like almost everyone is suspecting the shoes. I might visit the store and get them tested. They charge almost 50$ just for testing the gait on the treadmill:tongue:

I am not going for jogging for last 5 days now. At first I was icing the knees but today I am trying to keep them warm with the hot gel packs, may be it will have a better effect. I am missing the jog, finally I was able to run but now have to deal with these pains:sad:
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running room near you? I think they test you for free. $50 seems extreme. I would hate to pay for that again. Or, maybe they will test you again for free since they already tested you. Wouldn't hurt to ask. I would hate to pay for that everytime you think you might need new shoes.
  • stamfordjules
    stamfordjules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The place where I get my gait analysis done does it for free if you by shoes there... surprisingly the shoes aren't over priced either! Shop around, see what deals you can find