Low Sodium Ideas?!

nlkoelle
nlkoelle Posts: 23 Member
Today I printed 2 weeks worth of logging so I could mark up a copy. I can't believe how well I'm doing in most areas! However, I found some trouble spots with sodium. I'm told 1500mg is the goal for heart patients.

So what are some of your favorite low-sodium meals? I think that the foods I'm choosing aren't so bad, but some of them I need to not pair on the same day as they add up quickly...

I'm also diabetic, so that's a challenge - spreading out the carbs for the day, etc.

Some of the tough ones for me included.... low carb bread (still has 200+mg sodium), polish sausage (don't eat often), greek yogurt, salad dressing....

Replies

• angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    a good guideline i saw was to try to keep everything around 100mg or less per serving, which means fresh, fresh, fresh really. Pretty much everything packaged has sodium in it, and the only way to get the best bang for your buck is to read the labels. Literally the exact same food item varies greatly in sodium content depending on the brand, whether it's low fat or regular, and even different flavors! like with chips.. some are 140mg per serving of 17 chips for like, spicy chipotle, but the sour cream and onion will have twice as much sodium.. just as an example.
    I literally read the lable of everything i buy and buy the lesser of all evils. I look at sodium, fat, and sugar, and buy the one that seems most balanced. It is a daily struggle. Most things that are low in fat are higher in sodium. It's shocking and awful.
    The breads i buy are about 120mg per serving, but im not sure about carbs.. right now im eating Sara Lee Healthy Whole Wheat. Things like sausages, brats, bacon, i just dont eat any more at all. Before i knew i had high blood pressure i noticed my hands and feet would swell after eating sausages, so now i dont feel its worth the risk to my health.
    Because even meat you buy raw and cook yourself has some sodium in it, it's important to not ADD to it. So i use ALOT of seasonings like garlic, all types of pepper, and Mrs. Dash no salt blends. For yogurt i like Light N Fit. It's middle of the road on sugar and sodium, and has no fat. I've also been eating Oikos but it has a ton more sugar than Light N Fit.
    Salad dressing i only use ranch and it doesnt actually have a ton of sodium if its regular, and NOT low fat or fat free. I just stick to the serving size.
    As always, feel free to troll my food diary and if you have any specific questions, just message me!
  • nlkoelle
    nlkoelle Posts: 23 Member
    I watch the labels and serving sizes as well. The hard part for me is that I need to be aware of the carbs, etc. too. Diabetes + hypertension is a rough combination when it comes to eating "right". What is the lesser evil? Diabetes or hypertension? Something that is lower in carbs/sugar will be higher in sodium. ARgh! lol

I sent a report off again this week to my endocrinologist. (I put blood sugar readings in the food notes.) I'm asking her for some guidance on the sodium too...
  • angelcop74
    i know exactly how you feel! Thats why i started this group, even if all we can do is complain about it, at least we know someone feels our pain! haha
    It's a sad state of affairs for sure. I see all these products that have the heart symbol on them for Cholesterol, and the sodium is 300, 400, 500mg! How is THAT heart healthy?!? The government should really do more about how manufacturers label food. And how they make it, in general! There is no reason one peanut butter can have only 100mg of sodium per serving, and another brand of virtually the same item with 3x that amount! That just proves it isnt necessary, so it shouldnt be allowed.
  • Keeping the sodium down is really tough! I've pretty much given up on bread :(
    I always thought subway had healthy choices till I started tracking sodium... their bread has tons.

my boring "go to" diet is -

BREAKFAST: old fashioned oatmeal with splenda, cinnamon and blueberries.

LUNCH: a chicken breast seasoned with southwest seasoning (no salt) and fruit

DINNER: large salad (mixed baby greens) with lots of tomatoes and a low sodium dressing (Annie's Raspberry Vinaigrette), some sort of vegetable and a meat portion (Heb - Fully Cooked Beef Fajitas, home-made salmon with lemon-pepper, or another chicken breast)

SNACKS: bannana, pears, oranges, grapes, sugar snap peas... etc.

I still have a lot of bad "sodium" days (only been at this a month)... it's so easy to slip up... and once i slip, I kind of just myself a pass for the rest of the day (sodium wise). If I stick to the above regiment, my sodium can be almost too low.

(I recently discovered that a Taco Bell grilled chicken burrito won't put me over calories or sodium... but I still try to not go there too often.)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    I agree wholeheartedly with reading labels. One of my favorite meals is spaghetti (using whole wheat pasta) but most sauces are loaded with sodium, about 500+ mg per half a cup. But I've found some really tasty brands with much less than half of that. For a lower carb option you might use spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

I'm a big salad eater and dressings are full of calories and sodium. One trick I use is to put a tablespoon or two of dressing in a small bowel. Dip your fork lightly in the dressing and then spear your salad. I use much less dressing that way, usually on the order of half a tablespoon.

I treat sodium just like I do calories. I get a daily allotment that I try not to exceed. By planning what I will eat for the day in advance, I can usually stay under my daily limit for both.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    It seems like there's always a trade off when it comes to foods. Blood pressure is my priority so I'm focused on the low sodium foods. I'm concerned about my weight and the fat in foods but rarely purchase fat free products because they are usually too high in sodium. Convenience products usually trip me up on sodium because I don't like spending the time to prepare fresh foods for my lunches.

I try to avoid the center isles and fill my grocery cart with the perimeter foods at the grocery store.
  • By avoiding the sodium... i am finding that my caloric intake is down and I am losing weight. but I have also noticed that after a bad sodium day (like yesterday) my weight shoots up several pounds. I guess the whole salt and water retention thing is real. hard for me to tell, the bp med's I'm on cause my ankles to swell regardless.

I am also a soda-holic. most people think I must be a beer drinker, but I have to tell them that's not a beer belly, that's a soda belly. I read somewhere that one 20 oz soda per day will add 10lbs a year in weight... I am now forcing myself to drink diet soda's.

So, if anyone is interested, here is the sodium info for diet beverages:

20 oz coke zero - 70 mg sodium
    20 oz diet pepsi - 25 mg sodium
    20 oz diet dr. pepper - 88 mg sodium
    20 oz diet mt. dew - 35 mg sodium
    20 oz diet coke - 70 mg sodium
  • idahopacker
    When my insurance quit covering one of my BP meds, my doctor switched me to amlodipine which caused my feet and lower legs swell more. It got so bad that blood would seep from my lower legs and ankles. A $40 pair of compression socks helped with the swelling but I was amazed at how I reacted to the new med.

I used to drink diet Pepsi every day, but I rarely drink it now. It had a significant impact on my weight.
  • idahopacker
    Here's a green smoothie that might be of help

2 cups spinach
    2 large kale leaves, chopped (1.5 cups)
    3/4 cup water
    1 large frozen banana, chopped
    1/2 cup frozen mango
    1/2 cup frozen peach
    1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
    1 tablespoon almond butter or peanut butter, optional

Start by blending the spinach, kale and water on a low speed. Once it begins to break down, go to medium speed until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and blend for approximately one minute or until the desired consistency is achieved.

Calories 157, Total Fat 2g, Sodium 48mg, Potassium 807mg, Total Carbohydrate 35g (Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 16 g), Protien 5g
  • angelcop74
    you're so right about convenience foods. I basically cant eat anything any more unless i make it myself. For Spaghetti i buy the lowest sodium canned tom sauce i can find it's about 1/3 of what the jar sauces have, and then i spice the heck out of it with the various mrs. Dash concoctions! I then i make sure i only use a serving.
    Salad dressing kills me. If i eat a huge amount of salad the dressing pushes me right over in sodium.

I try not to stress though. When i think about what i was eating daily, just four months ago, i can't help but feel like a champion!
  • see if your grocer has "Annie's Naturals" - salad dressing. the Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette has 60mg sodium, and Fat Free Mango Vinaigrette has 5mg sodium.

Those are the only two dressings i have found so far low in salt.

https://annies.alice.com/products/1276083
  • idahopacker
    see if your grocer has "Annie's Naturals" - salad dressing. the Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette has 60mg sodium, and Fat Free Mango Vinaigrette has 5mg sodium.

Those are the only two dressings i have found so far low in salt.

https://annies.alice.com/products/1276083

I like the Annie's Naturals also. A while back I picked up the Roasted Red Pepper and it was delicious, but it has over 200 mg of sodium in one serving. Glad to hear they have some low sodium salad dressings.
  • idahopacker
    Low Sodium Smoothie

Green Avocado Smoothie (added to MFP food search)

1 cup chopped kale
    3/4 - 1 cup water
    1 green apple
    2 small kiwifruit, peeled and halved
    1 small avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
    1 tangerine, peeled and separated into segments
    3-4 ice cubes

Place the kale and water in a blender. Start blending on low, and as the kale begins to break down, increase to medium speed until it is completely broken down and smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, and blend on medium to high speed until desired consistency is achieved, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
  • idahopacker
    Green Avocado Smoothie (added to MFP food search)

Use 'DASH - Green Avocado Smoothie' in the search as there are a lot of avocado smoothie's listed.
  • JusDoinDis
    JusDoinDis Posts: 5 Member
    I've been trying to cut down my sodium and decided to lower the amount of breads I eat and in place of that use a corn tortilla which has NO SODIUM as opposed to 150-200 per slice of bread. I recently made a tuna taco and it was delicious, I also had a corn tortilla with my egg and bacon instead of making a sandwich with bread. I make a wrap with my burgers also and I'm loving it although if I desire a hot dog I'll just eat it with the bread because it's not all that tasty on a tortilla lol.
  • I have been dealing with hypertension since 2011 when I was pregnant with my daughter (born feb. 2012). My bp still wasn't normal range and had to be put on two medications for it. I went on a diet plan (some don't call it that) called Eat to Live (Dr. Furhman). I implemented many of his principles in it (but following it mostly 90%). He actually mentions that 1500 mg of sodium is still too much sodium for anyone to consume and if you incorporate more salads, fruits, etc.(book is great) you are actually consuming much less than the 1500 mg of sodium. Of course, I wanted to allow myself on occasion to enjoy something outside of his recommendations however I can honestly say I consume way less than the 1500 mg allowed. I have lost 26 pounds and have been taken off one medication and my bp is at a stable 117/86 on one small dose of another.

I did read the DASH diet book and found that many of the recipes still contained way too much sodium for my liking. I suggest reading Dr. Furhman's book and even if you don't take him up on all his suggestions implement more salads as the main meal concept. Also you may surprise yourself when you implement this diet that you no longer will crave the unhealthy foods and for me, sweets :))

ALso, go on line and do research on recipes related to the Eat to Live Diet :)

GOOD LUCK :)))
  • JusDoinDis
    JusDoinDis Posts: 5 Member
    Great find on the low sodium salad dressing. Today I had a Turkey Bacon BLT on a corn taco shell which has no sodium and it was absolutely delicious!!! My bacon is the Butterball Thin only 30 calories and 180 mgs of sodium for 2 strips, I also use a lower sodium mayo that only has 70 mgs and 105 calories it was so good.
  • Having uncontrolled blood pressure since 2011 when I was expecting my sixth child at 20 weeks (and HBP not go away)I needed to read labels because despite two medications my bps were still high. I find that I make EVERYTHING from scratch. I always used to say "I'm too busy" however I now had no choice but to make my own sauces, breads, you name it. I got many recipes off the internet. When I do buy I go for NO SALT (spaghetti sauce) and NO Salt Chicken broth for cooking. I use NO SALT which tastes like salt somewhat for baking and seasoning food (I use lots of spices). Thankfully after so long of a journey of being sick and all with HBP I lost 26 pounds and my BP actually dropped to dangerous leves (I guess good in a way LOL). They took me off one of the two medications (the one I am now on is small dosage). I find that most of the food out there contains way too much sodium..........I do find breads that have low sodium than others but choose to bake my own. When I cook I cook with no salt and my family just adds that on themself. Another great way that helped me control my sodium intake was doing the EAT to LIVE diet (Dr. Furhman). I follow it loosely however I find that I don't consume much sodium when I follow it. More greens and stuff so much healthier. Do you research on line. So many great websites for finding low sodium recipes :)
  • idahopacker
    Found a great low sodium pizza crust recipe

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/WholeWheatPizzaDough.htm
  • Here's an awesome Lasagna recipe my husband and I made!

Nutritional Info:
    Calories: 347
    Total Fat: 14
    Saturated: 7
    Polunsaturated: 1
    Cholesterol: 69
    Sodium: 162
    Potassium: 328
    Carbs: 33
    Fiber: 7
    Sugar: 6
    Protein: 23
    Vitamin A: 17
    Vitamin C: 21
    Calcium: 17
    Iron: 12

Serving size ~ 3"x3" slice

(you can add it to your diary, just type: Jay's Homemade Low sodium turkey lasagna)

Ingredients:

Kroger - Whole Wheat - Whole Grain - Lasagna Noodles, 1 container
    Coop Bio - Concentré De Tomates - Tomato Paste
    Del Monte - Diced Tomatoes, No Salt Added, 3 container
    Jennie - O - Lean Ground Turkey - 93/7 - Greene's, 1 container
    Joan of Arc - Traditional Goat Cheese (Per Package), 1 container
    Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 1 medium
    Flax Seed - Flax Seed, 0.25 cup
    Crave Brothers Farmstead Classics - Fresh Mozzerella Cheese, 1 container
    Generic - Chopped Green Onion, Raw, 1 Cup
    Whole Foods 365 - Shredded Parmesan Cheese, 2 tbsp
    A LOT of Mrs. Dash's brand of seasoning.

Seasonings:
    -Cumin
    - Garlic and Onion
    - Tomato and Basil
    - Black Pepper
    - Garlic
    - and More!

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350.

Blend the diced tomatoes with whichever seasonings you prefer (I used all low - no salt ones; Mrs. Dash's brand is great for no salt); don't forget the tomato paste.

Brown the ground turkey.

Boil half the container of noodles.

Grab a glassware big enough for the recipe.
    Coat the bottom with some sauce.
    Lay down half the noodles, scatter the zucchini (cut/diced/sliced however you like), sprinkle some goat cheese/mozz. and green onion.
    Throw the other half of the noodles into the pot to boil.
    repeat the layering process.
    Top with parm.
    Throw that bad boy into the oven and set to bake for about 45 mins; cover with foil.