Coconut Oil

Options
Anyone use this stuff to cook with?

Heard it suppose to be pretty good stuff so thinking of giving it a try

Replies

• EROG1970
    Options
    Ive used it to make puddings alongside almond oil , almond flour and coconut flour. Its very expensive in normal supermarkets so head to your nearest Asian one and grab yourself a bargain.
  • rose_ruby
    rose_ruby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    At the mo I only use it for a hair treatment. It's lush. Apparently it's good for frying.
    x
  • Pol3cat
    Pol3cat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's ok for special treats but is very high in saturated fats and bad cholesterol so not recommended for everyday use.
  • mearnsey
    mearnsey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Although Coconut Oil is high in Saturated Fats these are medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs. These are similar to the fats found in breast milk and are really easy for the body to process. Its the long-chain triglycerides found in butter that are the villains that cause fat gain and heart problems.

Not that this means that it's good to start drinking shed loads of coconut oil instead of sticks of butter as it has 117kcal per tablespoon but being aware of good fats and bad fats when you do need to use them is useful.:smile:
  • LilMissDB
    Options
    Very interesting discussion on my dietitian forums recently about this. As far as the clinical trials go, the jury is still out (not many good studies at all) but there is strong physiological evidence that the saturated fat in coconut oil does indeed still contribute to body cholesterol levels - it's a bit more complicated than some of the pro-coconut oil articles suggest. If it's expensive as well, I'd definitely stick with olive or vegetable oil.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Very interesting discussion on my dietitian forums recently about this. As far as the clinical trials go, the jury is still out (not many good studies at all) but there is strong physiological evidence that the saturated fat in coconut oil does indeed still contribute to body cholesterol levels - it's a bit more complicated than some of the pro-coconut oil articles suggest. If it's expensive as well, I'd definitely stick with olive or vegetable oil.

Soooooo nice to hear from a professional instead of lots of the posts from people who just repeat unsubstantiated drivel they read. THANKYOU!!
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook quite a bit, a while back you could get a tub of it quite cheaply in tesco. But I haven't seen it there in a while, only the glass bottles of it (which I never understand because its solid at room temperature). I tend to use it for stir fry's, curries etc, but my mum uses it for everything :-)
  • Syndri
    Syndri Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use it when I do a stir fry. A little goes a long way!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I worked with a woman who grew up in Sri Lanka and when she developed heart disease in her 40s the first thing she was told wa to stop cooking with it. I have always understood it to be very high in SAT fat and not a desirable cooking medium (same as palm oil) . So use in moderation
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for cooking and baking, also for eating in general. I have it in my coffee every morning, for instance. I love it on top of baked sweet potatoes with a bit of cinnamon--YUM . I use coconut oil as a skin moisturiser as well. It's a fantastic, versatile MCFA (medium chain fatty acid) with a bunch of lauric acid (lauric acid is an antiviral found in breast milk, and can increase HDL, which is the good sort of cholesterol) . Great stuff! I use Nutiva brand.

Besides coconut oil, I also eat (real) butter, lard, tallow, olive oil, walnut oil, and avocado oil.

I avoid polyunsaturated oils and trans fats, and favour saturated fats.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic! I've never actually used it to cook with. Growing up, Mum used to force on us as a hair treatment, which I have to admit did work, I just wasn't keen on the amount she used to use!! And it has put me off using it....

Given that you can eat and cook with coconut and coconut milk, it makes sense that you can cook with the oil. One to try methinks!
  • The_Gruffalo
    Options
    It's ok for special treats but is very high in saturated fats and bad cholesterol so not recommended for everyday use.

Ah i didnt know that tbh pleased i never got a jar now tho £6:99 was a bit steep.

Will stick to good ole Frylight
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Anyone use this stuff to cook with?

Heard it suppose to be pretty good stuff so thinking of giving it a try

I use it daily. It is a solid oil not a liquid mind. I buy tubs and then add a small amount to a stir fry. It is said to help fat metabolism as well. Obviously dont eat by the spoonful ;)
  • mummajuju
    mummajuju Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter has just been to see a nut and and PT to tone up and get in shape. Both told her to use this as it is so good for you etc and us a fat metaboliser! Not sure myself but only stating what they
    Told her xx