Healthy restaurants in the city?

Options
What's your favourite place to get some healthy eats in TO.?
i love Fresh and The Loving Hut :) (both vegan)

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Freshii is really good for a quick fresh and healthy meal!
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yeah! love that place. plus, they are every where :D
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/thedish/article/1084826--the-dish-the-buddha-bowl-from-fresh-not-as-healthy-as-it-sounds

I'll just leave this tidbit right here for your reading pleasure. It definitely makes me think twice about Fresh being a "healthy alternative".
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That is some good information on Fresh and more than a little surprising! Thanks for posting.

As for eating out while trying to keep the cals down, I pretty much stick to Subway or Extreme Pita and go with the assumption that any fine dining is a 'cheat day'.

Obviously there are cheat days and there are CHEAT DAYS built into that.. Benihana is a cheat day, Milagro is a CHEAT DAY ;)
  • monstercakes
    Options
    yes there are some not so healthy high calorie items on their menu. just eat smart. their ingredients are fresh and anyone who knows a thing or two about nutrition knows what to avoid! (or maybe that's just me? i'm studying to be a dietician.)
    the bowl in question here is covered in peanut sauce. i mean, common what did you expect?
    also- the article expresses shock that they don't disclose this info. there is a clear disclaimer on their website that explains the fact that they want to provide food that's real and fresh, not "diet food". that's why they don't give that info out. they list all of their ingredients. like i said, if you know bit about nutrition, you can figure out whats what!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    'Four' is in The Path in the financial district and nothing is over 600 cals.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/thedish/article/1084826--the-dish-the-buddha-bowl-from-fresh-not-as-healthy-as-it-sounds

I'll just leave this tidbit right here for your reading pleasure. It definitely makes me think twice about Fresh being a "healthy alternative".

I'm not sure how that article suggests that Fresh is not a "healthy alternative." The assumption that low calorie and healthy are always synonymous drives me insane!!! The article simply pointed out that their portion sizes are enormous. It's really just common sense. Don't eat it all, get all sauces and dressings on the side, and don't get anything fried. That's how you should be eating in most restaurants and Fresh is no different. They don't claim to offer "low calorie food." Most of their food is still much healthier than most restaurants anyway.
  • monstercakes
    Options

I'm not sure how that article suggests that Fresh is not a "healthy alternative." The assumption that low calorie and healthy are always synonymous drives me insane!!! The article simply pointed out that their portion sizes are enormous. It's really just common sense. Don't eat it all, get all sauces and dressings on the side, and don't get anything fried. That's how you should be eating in most restaurants and Fresh is no different. They don't claim to offer "low calorie food." Most of their food is still much healthier than most restaurants anyway.

agree :) I'd rather eat nutrient dense foods than so called diet foods any day
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options

The article doesn't work anymore :(:(

I wanted to go to the Loving Hut but they shut down the one on Eglinton (near Allen Rd) a few months after I moved here, so I never got to check it out!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Try this link:
    http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/nutrition/2011/11/10/the_dish_the_buddha_bowl_from_fresh_not_as_healthy_as_it_sounds.html

The gist of the article is basically that it's enough food for two meals. The article seems to be equating calorie count with health, which really irks me. I was unable to sustain my weight loss and continue losing weight (I've had more than a few bumps) until I started thinking about eating for health rather than "diet" food and only counting calories. I practice mindful eating and the better I feel, the more I'm likely to keep eating this way and not slip up. It might not work for everyone, but it has been key for me.

Another yummy and healthy option is Live Food Bar on Dupont...their detox salad is my favourite.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Try this link:
    http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/nutrition/2011/11/10/the_dish_the_buddha_bowl_from_fresh_not_as_healthy_as_it_sounds.html

The gist of the article is basically that it's enough food for two meals. The article seems to be equating calorie count with health, which really irks me. I was unable to sustain my weight loss and continue losing weight (I've had more than a few bumps) until I started thinking about eating for health rather than "diet" food and only counting calories. I practice mindful eating and the better I feel, the more I'm likely to keep eating this way and not slip up. It might not work for everyone, but it has been key for me.

Another yummy and healthy option is Live Food Bar on Dupont...their detox salad is my favourite.

Thanks for the article!!! :)

I think it is a good article. I mean, it's healthy food but people probably shouldn't be eating that much at once. If it was separated into a couple meals - awesome! But as one full meal? Maybe not. But that's how it is at most restaurants. I went to a "normal" restaurant today. Probably wasn't healthy and definitely more calories than I usually have. But I only ate half of my meal, and I took the rest home to eat either tonight or tomorrow. :)
  • GroverBlue78
    GroverBlue78 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most of my favs have already been listed
    - Loving Hut (I think the one on Richmond and the one on Broadview serve different stuff)
    - Fresh (Love the magic tofu wrap) and I agree the food is nutritious and whole
    - Freshii

I am a vegetarian living.working downtown so I have also found good food (and not just salads) at these places
    - Sadie's Diner on Adelade at Portland - they have the best veggy BLT and they make vegan brunches
    - Vegetarian Haven on Baldwin. I have only been there once but their food was really good
    - Red Room or Nirvanna - they have some yummy options (meat ones too!)

Overall though my strategy when eating out is just make sure I am making smart decisions. Ensure food is prepared in a healthy way and I make sure I pay attention to my stomach. If I think I am getting full I probably already am and I get the rest packed up for later.
  • monstercakes
    Options
    GroverBlue: agree! If you know what kind of choices to make, you can always make a healthy decision! (as I sorta touched upon when talking about Fresh's so called unhealthy dishes..)
    Eat, love, & enjoy! xox