How do you track Strength Training?

Options
I've been using this app since 01/27 and I'm not sure how to track the weight training and mat exercises that I have been doing. I was hoping to just enter 30 mins of weight training or something generic like. Do I have to list each individual weight Im doing?

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to track the calories burned from it, go to exercise and under Cardiovascular click add exercise, then search for strength training and enter it as that. The strength training portion is just to track how much weight/how many reps you do. It doesn't really cross over.
  • marcykellar
    marcykellar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Hope you stick with MFP. It's such a great tool.

With MFP, I'm interested in knowing my caloric burn, not how much weight I lifted. I wear a heart rate monitor to track my burn while circuit training and use another app to manage the workout. In MFP, I track my calories burned under cardio as a custom exercise such as "Strength Training - Core and Lower Body (HRM)." To track complete workouts, exercises per circuit and weight/progress, I use the paid version of the iPhone app called "fitness buddy".
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Hope you stick with MFP. It's such a great tool.

With MFP, I'm interested in knowing my caloric burn, not how much weight I lifted. I wear a heart rate monitor to track my burn while circuit training and use another app to manage the workout. In MFP, I track my calories burned under cardio as a custom exercise such as "Strength Training - Core and Lower Body (HRM)." To track complete workouts, exercises per circuit and weight/progress, I use the paid version of the iPhone app called "fitness buddy".

Everything I've researched says that HRM's are not accurate for strength training (although I imagine circuit training is probably a bit closer than lifting heavy)
  • jsinc363
    Options
    Thanks Coolhand!
  • jsinc363
    Options
    Thanks Marcy!!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I've just been using MFP's generic "strength training" estimation as far as calories burned goes, and if I want to track individual reps/weights on here I usually just type them into the notes. Beats the crap out of looking up or creating exercises and then logging them!