Food ideas...

Options
I am looking for meal ideas. I am 4 1/2 weeks out and still on moist foods, do you have suggestions of meal ideas? Food ideas? I know I can have only tiny bits but having a hard time with what to eat. I find myself still drinking protein stuff but I would like to chew something too. lol
Any suggestions?

Replies

• operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, I had alot of mashed potatoes topped with Ground meat (turkey or chicken) prepared in gavy. Even though it is like breaking a golden rule in my household, I bought the already prepared mashed in different varieties (cheese, garlic or original). Also lots of eggs. Very early on, I tried to get off drinking the protein as much as possible.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Refried beans with melted cheese, chili in the blender W/ greek yogurt or sour cream, Ricotta bake (google it) yuuuum, scrambled eggs w/ lauging cow cheese, Look at www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com for stage appropriate recipes that tast good.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Refried beans with melted cheese, chili in the blender W/ greek yogurt or sour cream, Ricotta bake (google it) yuuuum, scrambled eggs w/ lauging cow cheese, Look at www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com for stage appropriate recipes that tast good.

Ditto on the re-fried beans -loved those! Start slow on the eggs - like eat 1/4 of it and see how you feel - if you check out the VSG forum on Obesity Help, lots of the VSG folks have issues with eggs (unsure why but made them very nauseous) - so do a amall trial run first. I am personally cool with eggs - when i was newly post-op I was doing a 1/2 scrambled egg mixed with grits - it hit the spot!
  • Rockstarr44
    Rockstarr44 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I didn't even think about ground turkey. I will be trying that tomorrow. Thanks
  • Rockstarr44
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to check the website out.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I made a pasta-less lasagna, its like the ricotta bake but I added sauteed vegetables for more flavor and texture, and topped it off with parmesean cheese. a LOT of greek yogurt and cottage cheese - about 5 months out and I still eat a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese, I just mix up the flavors and add ins; ex: cottage cheese with tomato and some cucumbers, or diced up cantaloupe (vs mushy stage food of apple sauce or peach puree - still good though lol), as for yogurt I make what I call yogurt-pudding, mixing s.f. pudding mix into the greek yogurt, its FANTASTIC, I also add a little shredded wheat cereal for added fiber.

As for eggs, I am one of those people that can ONLY handle hard boiled eggs, I cant seem to handle omelet/ scrambled eggs which is a shame because I used to love that stuff :frown: perhaps later on I will be able to eat it again. But I often eat homemade egg salad and add a little finely diced onion and green onion, a little light mayo and salt and pepper to taste and eat it with some veggies and a cracker. Also I eat a lot of fish I buy the frozen tilapia fillets and cook them. Oh and of course tuna fish, lentil soup and split pea soup!!!! (but not all together lol)
  • Rockstarr44
    Options
    More great ideas! Thank you so much. I am not a cook and always had trouble finding dinner ideas for family. Now its hard to find things for just me right now. Thank you every one for the ideas.
    Have a great day.
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of tuna and chicken salad at that stage - just a dab of mayo to moisten it. My nutritionist was OK with pickles at that point too so I would put dill relish in both salads. Obviously no celery. :) I also ditto the refried beans, I was dying for something with flavor so I'd include a bit of 2% shredded cheese and I used taco bell mild & hot sauce packets for flavor.
  • wanttobeamoore
    wanttobeamoore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Refried beans with cheese and tuna salad with reduced fat mayo are great suggestions. I used to eat my mashed potatoes with one of those little Gerber baby food "meat" jars. I also enjoyed Wendy's chili, just be sure to puree everything first. My fave was the banancotta I got from the Chef Dave cookbook. Just add 1 or 2 bananas and some lowfat or fat free ricotta cheese, a little vailla extract, and a scoop of unflavored protein powder to your blender or food processor and you are good to go!