Service Dogs

Options
SPBROOKS68
SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
I have to get one to save my life as my lows have gotten so bad that I have been near death several times.

If you know someone who has a service dog, please ask them to message me as I would like to talk to others about life with a dog that can sense any sort of problem you are having.

I have to raise $1000.00 before I can be matched with a dog, so if you can help or know of a company that would like to sponsor me, Here is the information again I am on the list to receive a Diabetic Service Dog....

If you or your company would like to make a tax deductible donation in my name, please click on the link and follow the prompts. Make sure that you list that the donation is for Stacy P. Brooks, Douglasville, GA.

If you question the need for this, check out my picture of my tongue that I bit in the middle of the night during an extremely low blood sugar episode.

http://www.sdwr.org/change-a-life-donate-today

THANK you for your support <3

Replies

• SPBROOKS68
    Options
    Hello is there anybody out there??
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    Please check out the website to see how much these dogs help their owners....Freedom and independence from going low and having 911 called to me in a store will be priceless:flowerforyou:
  • jonnyrosko
    jonnyrosko Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I’m not in a position financially where I can donate money. But, I do have some questions. How much to the service dogs cost? Does insurance help pay for it or is it going to be out of pocket?
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    The total costs is $2500.00, Insurance does not cover the cost (must get donations to the training company). I do plan on asking my tax lady if any part of his/her care will be tax deductible since it is there to work and save my life.

Feel free to post my information on your profile page for others to see and I will be glad to answer more questions, once I am actually using one:smile:
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    I have a service dog but I came by him on accident. I rescued him at 4 months old and he and I bonded very closely. When he was 1 1/2 or 2 years old, we noticed whenever I had a low he was practically on top of me on the couch or bed. We began rewarding him for this behavior and now he lets me know way in advance. He is just anxious to get loved on and told what a brilliant boy he is. As he has gotten older he is not as "on it" as he used to be.

I sympathize with you in your financial situation, we are in quite a predicament ourselves right now. I wish you the best of luck though. I have no idea how to professionally train a dog to do this. I can tell you that Pit Bulls are very sensitive and very easy to train. I have a new baby boy that I am trying right now to take Husaks place, but it's not looking promising lol.

I feel a whole lot better driving with him in the car since I've wiped out a bunch of signs and a jeep driving with low BS. He's gone with me in stores and Wal-mart and has always been on his best behavior. He did four years of obedience training so I trust him completely in every situation.

I look forward to hearing more about your quest for a service dog.
    Good luck.
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    FriedPicklePrincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just curious if you were able to raise enough money for your service dog? I'm currently doing research on getting one.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not to put down service dogs but would not a CGM be a lot cheaper? The newer versions of Continuous glucose monitors let you see your sugar trends so you know which way things are headed. They let you take action before you fall off a cliff or go through the roof.
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    I have the newest CGM by Dexcom, got it in January of 2013 and had a heart attack in March...You can sleep through the alarms as they are not loud, but a dog will wake you or another member of your house up!
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    I'm using the dexcom G4 and had to set the profile to low since it was too loud. Have you tried the attentive setting? Also what do you have the high / low snooze time set for? It can be set to repeat every 15 minutes if you don't respond and it gets even louder the more it repeats. The other thing is where do you have the low alert set? If it's too low then you do not have enough time to react before you get too low.
    Where do you keep it at night? Between the vibrator and the alert sound it gets me every time. Have you tried it on your headboard in a cup or bowl? It amplifies the noise and vibration.
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    I have it set on attentive and it repeats every 15 minutes..It was set at 60 when I had my heart attack...Now is set at 100 and I still do not wake up to it...My husband has to wake me up...I have been a diabetic for 39 years and my lows were not bad until I was diagnosed with Addison's disease.

If you do not agree with the service dog that is fine, but I need one so that I can continue to LIVE>
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    Don't mean to put down your need for a dog. Just trying to help tweak what you have now to to keep you safer while you work on getting one.