Boston Marathon

Options
I will be running in my first Boston marathon this year. I have arranged to stay at a hotel about 8 miles north of downtown Boston. I plan to take the subway to downtown early in the morning to catch the race shuttle to the start.
Is there anyone with experience at Boston who knows if this plan is feasible? Does the public transportation run on time there on race day?
Any other advice concerning what to do and what to avoid during my stay in Boston would be much appreciated.

Replies

• electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No advice I'm afraid but a big congratulations on getting to run Boston!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You should check the schedules. http://www.mbta.com/

Eight Miles is a long way to travel by subway, so it will take a while. Patriot Day is an official holiday in Boston, so schools and banks, etc. will be closed and the mass transit may be running on holiday schedule, so something to pay attention to. I think you need to take shuttles from downtown between 6-7:30 am, so not sure how feasible this would be for you.

In terms of running on time, etc... Boston's T is the oldest subway in the US and not very well maintained. I wouldn't consider it as reliable or easy as the subway in NYC or other major cities.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't stay with Seinfeld
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You could be cutting it close, but hard to say without knowing more details - what town are you staying in, where in boston do you get the shuttle, and how early do you get the shuttle?
    Another thing to think about.....do you really want the stress of trying to depend on and navigate public transportation? Might be better to pay for a cab ride. Plus, if by "subway" you mean the commuter rail, it may not be that much more expensive to take a cab.
    Congrats on running Boston!
  • jocamaria
    jocamaria Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Boston area. If you are just riding the train, and not a bus, then you will be fine. The T (short for mbta) is older in Boston, but very reliable, especially during holidays because when they encourage people to ride the T. You would not be able to drive into the city so you really don't have any other choice. Just give yourself enough time, but you shouldn't have any problem.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd spring for a cab, or a closer hotel. The T and Commuter Rail are... quirky, I'd say, about when they choose to run on schedule, and you don't want to risk missing the shuttle!
  • buttonfeet
    buttonfeet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have no advice to give, but I just wanted to say congratulations on your BQ! I'm hoping for my first BQ this year. Best of luck out there!!