RA and distance running?

Options
Ok, so I am likely totally insane, but I have been going through a phase recently where I've felt completely rebellious against the limitations of my body-- I hate this, and I've lived letting it hold me down too long I feel (as long as I can remember, my early teens sticks out as the start of seeking a diagnosis). I have spoken to my husband, several friends, and spoken with my doc, and we have gathered a team of people to participate in the Color Run (5k) in his hometown this summer.

We have 6 months to prepare and slowly train (and if I do have a lot of issue, it is fine to walk this particular 3.1 mile course!) and we are going tomorrow to have a gait analysis and shoe fitting properly, so I won't be running with the wrong shoes. I am terrified of it, but the hope of possibly strengthening myself, and maybe even working up to something better (my friend has mentioned us trying the Disney Princess 13.1 next March if everything goes well this year and I am able to keep it up!).

Is there anyone else who has tried/ does any running or jogging, especially distance running? If you have, any advice, tips, anything would be wonderful! It sounds crazy to say the two in one sentence, but my drive is sky high to do this-- for my own esteem and my feelings of being so stuck in this shell!

Replies

• dwmaestradeb
    Options
    You're not insane! I've just started walk-jogging with a modified Couch to 5K program (it's more like a Bed to 2K, but I'll take it). I did my research about finding good shoes and how to run safely without wearing myself out or doing any damage to my knees, which are the most affected part of my body. My family doctor and my rheumatologist both gave me the okay, with the admonition to listen to my body--while some exercisers are encouraged to "work through the pain", that's probably not the best plan for someone who has fragile or damaged or inflamed joints due to R.A. If it hurts, I slow down or stop. If it hurts A LOT, I take a day or two off.

Part of taking up walk-jogging (I can't quite claim the term "running", yet) was the inspiration from some family members who have taken up running and seen great results physically. It's difficult to lose weight and/or maintain a healthy weight with the meds I am on, so moving is a must, even though moving strenuously every day isn't a possibility for me. And yes, in a way my taking up walk-jogging (and krav maga!) is a big middle finger to the R.A. monster.

Take it slow, be patient with yourself, listen to your body, have fun! Be well :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Nah your not insane, you just want to live. I am currently training for a 10-12 mile insane military course where you run in mud, through electric current, through trenches, vault over walls etc...I'm having a very hard time with my knees on down hill running. So I probanly have to do some walking there.
    My rhuemmy and I decided not to put me on drugs because of the cancer risks. Ironically chemo works very well against RA, so that was a plus. I like you refuse to let RA slow me down. Pay attention to your body and the pain. Do what is right for you and enjoy it!
    LANCE
  • anndmorg
    anndmorg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you're crazy then so am I.

I just started the C25K program yesterday. 1st day went great. Today with the incoming weather change I can't move my right shoulder without a lot of pain.

I too am looking at the color run this summer and I hope paricipate in something called the glow run in the fall. In addition to beginning to run I also cycle. I hope to complete a 2 day 100 mile ride this fall. So not we are not crazy but we have to do thing new enjoy to be sucessful. My RA often hinders my progress but i must keep moving towards my weigh loss goal. I must learn to listen to my body and rest when I am in pain.

WE CAN DO THIS!