How much weight did you love after giving birth?

Options
Okay this is my first baby, My first time being pregnant in my 3rd trimester. And I know this may sound like a conceded, self centered question, but how much weight did you lose from giving birth? The weight of the baby? Or more?

Replies

• Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a 7lb 7oz baby and I lost 25lbs within the first 2 weeks from fluid and the like :)
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My first son was 6 lbs 13 oz when he was born and after 3 weeks I had lost 25 lbs. It took me 7 months and a lot of hard work after that to lose the extra 25 lbs I gained. I still wanted to lose about 40 more, but found out I was pregnant again shortly after that!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I honestly lost about 8 pounds. My daughter weighed 7 lbs, 11 oz. I actually cried when I saw how little I had lost. I don't even know how that was possible with all the fluid, placenta, etc. coming out as well. I lost about 10 more over the course of 6 months, despite exclusively breastfeeding. It was a year later that I really buckled down, joined weightwatchers and lots 25 pounds more.
  • RenaeNguyen
    RenaeNguyen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've already gained 20lbs in my pregnancy, and have maintained on dr orders for 7 weeks. So I hope to keep it at a 20 lbs gain. I workout 5 days a week and eat really well. And after my son is born, as soon as my dr clears me to start working out again I plan to hit the gym hard (Home gym).
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've already gained 20lbs in my pregnancy, and have maintained on dr orders for 7 weeks. So I hope to keep it at a 20 lbs gain. I workout 5 days a week and eat really well. And after my son is born, as soon as my dr clears me to start working out again I plan to hit the gym hard (Home gym).

You are doing really well. If you do put on a bit more than you are hoping for remember that you have lost it before and you can and will loose it again.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I had a 7lb 3 oz baby and lost 25 lbs or so right off the bat (within the first 2-4 weeks, I can't remember exactly). I gained back about 5 and held onto the rest until I started MFP at 2 months postpartum.
  • RenaeNguyen
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I'm just trying to figure out my short term goals for my weight.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I had a 9lb baby and lost 16lbs by 1 week postpartum.

I was down 26 pounds at 2 weeks postpartum.

A lot of women retain fluid after delivery, so don't be surprised if you don't lose a lot immediately. Quite often there is a big drop around 2-3 weeks postpartum. Focus on sleeping instead of your weight when baby comes :smile:
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    . Focus on sleeping instead of your weight when baby comes :smile:

THIS!!!!!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    . Focus on sleeping instead of your weight when baby comes :smile:

THIS!!!!!

Yeah, I agree! It's hard to focus on much else at that point! I would get your routine down, get breast feeding well-established, then check out the scale and start from there.

I mentioned my loss earlier, but I remember losing over 10 of those pounds in the first week. I'd maybe lost 5 or so by the time I left the hospital (2 days postpartum), but I had a lot of swelling before giving birth, and I still had a lot of fluid on my legs even when I left (though it was much improved).
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 of the 35lbs I put on by the time I went by to work, 10 weeks later. I wasn't exercising much, but I did breastfeed n take walks with my son on the stroller. In all honesty I was tired n wanted to keep house clean n prepare meals as my husband at the time was working a lot of OT so I could take my leave from work. I hope this time around that I can find more time so I can run for an hour at least 3-4x per week. My first son was such a good baby just hungry all the time!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I gained almost 45 pounds. My boo weighed 7 pounds and 3 ounces. After 2 weeks, I lost 20 pounds. I am now 5 weeks pp, and my weight loss remains 20 pounds (so I still have 25 to lose). I am just starting to try to figure out how to lose it, because I don't want to mess with my milk supply (something I heard could happen if you "diet" too soon after giving birth).

Also, I had a complicated delivery, which required I go back to the hospital twice and be on a lot of bed-rest after the birth.

In all honesty though, I am eating A TON. And a lot of it is healthy, but a lot of it is not. I think just cutting out a lot of the junk food will make a real difference for me. Fingers crossed. And I should be able to start exercising soon. Again, fingers crossed.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It varies a lot by women and by pregnancies.
    I gained 70 lb during pregnancy with baby #1 and lost 37 lb by 10 days postpartum, and the baby was 7 lb 4 oz. With baby #2, I gained 60 lb lost only 18lb by 10 days postpartum and the baby was 7 lb.

Overall I left with 35 lb extra chub to lose each time after my babies.
    I exclusively breastfeed and that is important to me, so I am not dieting not to mess with my milk supply.
    I eat healthy as much as I can, but i won't be surprised if the weight stay until I finish nursing, because that what happened last time too.
  • RenaeNguyen
    Options
    I'm determined to keep my weight gain at 25lbs. I workout daily and eat really healthy. So as long as its 15 I'll be happy. Lol my husband jokes that the first thing I'm going to ask after everything is settled down after giving birth will be "so.. How many weeks till I can start working out again?" Lol. I plan to breast feed exclusively without formula for 6 months, then continue with food until he is one. I know I'm not going to have a supply problem because I already leak at 27 weeks.