MFP cardio calorie counter

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering about the calorie counter for cardio on Mfp. What the thread mill and bikes in the gym advise of how many calories you have worked off is very different to what Mfp advise. Which do you guys follow? Does Mfp take your weight in to account is that why is higher?

Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm using the MFP estimates for now but I'd trust a personal HRM over either MFP or the machine-generated estimates. I've got a HRM coming in the mail, hopefully SOON! I guess that doesn't really answer your question though, does it, lol. I actually don't know if the MFP estimates take your personal stats under consideration...I just did a bit of a forum search and it sounds like it doesn't; it seems to use an estimate based on someone about 150-170 lbs? If you can manually enter your personal stats in your gym machines it's probably more accurate, but ultimately a HRM is the way to go. They can be pricey, though. I bought a super cheapo one off ebay (like 7 bucks), we'll see how it works!
  • alanfogarty
    Options
    Cheers for that! Yes maybe a hrm is the way to go 7 bucks isn't to bad I should invest really : )
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Just wondering about the calorie counter for cardio on Mfp. What the thread mill and bikes in the gym advise of how many calories you have worked off is very different to what Mfp advise. Which do you guys follow? Does Mfp take your weight in to account is that why is higher?

Any help would be appreciated

When I was still logging my exercise, I found that MFP was pretty spot on with my heart rate monitor, but the gym machines are NUTS and predict wild amounts all over.

So I'd use MFP> the machines but your own HRM > MFP

Oh and it dependso n what the exercise is on MFP. MFP uses averages for certain levels of intensity, but someone who is very out of shape swimming as best they can is not going to burn as many calorie as a swim athlete. So, sometimes those numbesr are a little wacky.

I think the elliptical numbers on MFP tend to be high. but walking/joggin tending to be on target for me.
  • alanfogarty
    Options
    Thanks tameko2 ! It all seems a bit confusing really I might stick with the Mfp until I get the hrm and try and decide whats best

Thanks again