Swing Shifts and Poor food choices

Options
Hello all!!! I am a Patrolman in Northeast Pennsylvania. I've been on the job for 7 years now and I am finally adapting to the swing shifts that I've been doing since the day I was hired. In my area there are absolutely no healthy choices as far as food goes, after 10 p.m. I generally go without eating, or stop by the local quik-rob for a sandwich and chips. I recently started bringing peanut butter, celery, apples, protein powder etc. to work with me and it seems to fill me up and keep me happy. I'm interested to hear what other people do while working the late shifts. And I am new to the group, I just recently started logging on again since I noticed my duty belt getting tighter. Please Reply, CHEERS!

Matt

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I end up stopping for coffee, bars, chips, etcetera like most officers on patrol. I exercise a lot so I am BARELY keeping my weight down. Lately I try to eat carrot sticks, celery, or diet soda instead of coffee and donuts.
  • dlhartma
    dlhartma Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi all. I'm in NJ. Same issues with the crappy food choices available at night! A lot of times I find myself eating whenever food is available even if I'm not hungry in anticipation of not having time later.... 4 yrs of this has added 15 lbs.
  • emingus
    emingus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To Gerst73,
    Bringing your lunch is the way to go. I've been doing it since returning to patrol. It allows you to manage portions and you know what's in it. Milk is a good filler and it's been shown to help with weight loss. Good luck to you brother.
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Our evening shift is the worst for me. 2pm - Midnight. I don't get up at a normal time, and I am wound up when I get home, so I snack like crazy and throw down a beer or two. On night shift, I usually go to a 24 hour grocery store and buy something there, then nuke it in the microwave at the station or precinct office. Still not always the healthiest way to go, but a whole lot better than the greasy-spoon places that are open 24hrs.
  • blueblood1
    blueblood1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pack your meal and stop and get a healthy drink at your local shop you would visit. Not only does this give you a good feeling of
    not buying the junk food but still gives your presence at the store:) It takes time so if you take a step back it's okay! Just get back on track and move forward.

Glad to have you on board, take care and be safe :)

Peace.........
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I found when I first got on the job, the weight piled on, lucky for me I was getting married and had a misson to lose the weight, However 10 years later after having kids I have to lose some weight. Being the oldest female in the office and having weight to lose sucks. I refuse to eat out and lucky for me most of my co-workers will bring their food or will get take out. I work in a small city of 13000 people and some of the cooks are our clients, that said so of the guys have gotten sick when eating at restaurants.