What do you do to let go of the past and move forward?

Options
I was wondering if anyone else went to Al-Anon meetings for Adult Children? Or if anyone reads any of the literature? I was just curious. I go to a meeting Mondays. I started going a couple of months ago. So far it's helping me realize that I am not alone or unique. All of the problems I have, seem to be the same in all children who grew up with similar home lives.

Does anyone else follow the 12-step program or does anyone have other ways that they have learned to cope/deal with the past/heal? I know that people have different ways of coping, and I was wondering how others deal with these issues.

Replies

• MommaSquirell
    MommaSquirell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do Not go to meetings , But I read allot of the literature online and in the AA manual. I also have prior experience due to Drug abuse on my part. That was the only time food was not a coping mechanism for me , but that kind of life made me hate myself more then ever . 7 years without Cocaine/ Heroin whoop . But again food came back into my life and having kids after I cleaned up yeah . I think My dogs help allot , I have a very strong passion for dogs , since my dad was a vet tech/ dog handler in vietnam. I use that as a way to connect with my dad even though he passed away when I was young. Acceptance has also helped me to cope allot . Learning to view my life One day at a time instead of rushing through in a panic . I am practicing being thankful for the things I have instead of focus on what is not . but yeah As far as coping , when I really feel like Eating now I turn to the dogs XD . Or drink a Giant cup of water and jiggle around allot! It is funny because I have never been comforted by the stories of other people , I am a very empathetic person but shy away from people , but this is actually Very comforting . I rarely post on any msg board period , let alone start a group . I am so rambling right now . Anyway yeah the dogs , ..... oh I have learned how to appreciate my mom allot more and find allot of comfort in talking to her now! I pretty much just practice the serenity prayer Live the serenity prayer Daily . I accept the things I cannot change (I will put up a tiny fight XD) And I will change what I can .

It is funny because I get my motto from The drivers ED class I took after leaving My abusive relationship .2 kids no money just a box of clothes and toys , The only thing you control On the road is your vehicle (yourself) :) It is right . And I accept it . <3 Acceptance and Love comfort me . And I love my kids I love my Dogs I love my idiot husband lol And I will prove it to them all By loving myself <3 The battle my dad fought was not for nothing . I will show my kids the right way to fight! <3 OO RAH! <3