Adding Friends and My Story

Options
My name is Marcie and I'm 27 years old I had Gastric Bypass RNY in October of 2009 I started out at 325 pounds before surgery and I lost within 6 months 125 pounds which put me at about 200 pounds I was happy at the weight because I had been a size 26 for so long and at 200 pounds I was a size 12/14 so it was a big shock to me and i was happy but apparently I got too happy. After the 6 months I really didn't follow through and just kinda ate what I wanted sometimes it would make me sick sometimes not at this point now I've pretty much gotten used to everything. So, anyway I would always stay in between 200-215 for the past couple years in June of 2012 I had my gallbladder taken out and I didn't change my eating habits at all or do anything different but I got up to 242 pounds I'm not really sure how it happened because I wasn't doing anything different but that's besides the point. So, 2 weeks ago I decided that I didn't want to do this anymore my shirts and pants were starting to get tight and I hated feeling like that I would be upset about my weight everyday. So, now two weeks after starting I have lost 10 pounds and am down to 232 my first goal is to get to 185 and re-assess the situation once i get there. I know you all know how hard it is to have the surgery lose the weight and then gain some or all of it back. I'm going to see how this counting calorie thing works for me I mean we all know they preach protein protein but there is alot of calories in those shakes and protein bars so I'm going to try to count calories while also getting in protein. I know that being so far out post-op that our nutritional requirements have changed and so have our stomachs and bodies. So, that's my story if anyone wants to add me as a friend please do so we can definately support each other. Good Luck everyone.

Replies

• sissuzi2
    Options
    I too am struggling with what to do. I am also counting calories while getting my 60-80 grams of protein in daily. I am totally amazed how much protein is already in the food I am eating. I thought I needed to supplement, but I sure don't!
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options
    I totally understand. Im still trying to figure out what will work for me...good luck to us all!
  • sissuzi2
    Options
    Yes! Good luck to us! I have noticed that this group is not very active!
  • XxMarcella85xX
    XxMarcella85xX Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree there isn't much activity in the group!!!! How many carbs are you guys shooting for daily. I'm trying to do around 100grams of protein a day but I usally get to 65-75 which is still great and at least 8 glasses of water 64oz but I'm not sure about what our carb intake is supposed to be. I've been eating those lean cuisines and smart ones and they have alot of carbs in them i just like them because they are low cal and quick..........Ohhh will I ever win. How are you guys making out exercising???
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options
    I have set a few appointments so I will share the info I received. If they don't give me clear & accurate answers I will be very upset to say the least. I just told them to schedule an hour because I have a list & I'm not leavening until all my questions are answered.
  • sissuzi2
    Options
    When I talked to dietitian at the weight loss clinic I had my surgery performed, she told me to shoot for 1200 calories, 150 grams carbs, 60 grams protein and 40 grams fat. I usually go over that a little bit because of the exercise, therefore I am probably not losing as fast. But if it's a loss, I will take it!! My goal is 2 pounds a week. I weigh in tomorrow and will see how I've done this last week.

On another note. How do you all count your exercise calories? I had been entering what comes off my exercise bike, however I was reading if it does not ask you to enter your weight it is probably not correct. When I calculated it the amount of calories off another site, it was way over what I have been recording! So I let the default go this time, it was under what the other site calculated but more than I had been tracking.

I eat some weight watchers meals, some medifast meals and some stuff that I cook. I have been having applesauce 3 times a day to put my calcium in and a banana before bedtime. Gosh... all the supplements add up too with calories and carbs!
  • sissuzi2
    Options
    Oh, I am up to 40 minutes now on my exercise bike. That is the only exercise I am getting besides physical therapy. Still having trouble walking after surgery last September, so am sure that hinders my weight loss too! But like I said, if it's a LOSS I'm taking it at least at this point it's not a gain!!!!
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options
    God job on increasing your time! I saw the specifics & I will discuss with nutritionist as I think 150 carbs are too many for my circumstances...
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Hi! I need friends!

My name is Amity and I had my RNY in May of 2008. At the time I weighed 245lbs and within 18 months I had dropped down to 125. Frankly, that was too light for me and I quickly stabilized at about 135-140. Over the last year and half though, my weight has been slowly creeping up. Right now I am about 180. I would really like to get back down around 140-145. Its been a very slow start and I am really struggling with getting motivated. A major problem for me is alcohol.. I do love my wine and beer, and as I am in a reletively new relationship there is ALOT of celebrating going on. I know that if I could get rid of that I would be able to lose weight again...

Anyway, happy to be here! Looking forward to supporting you all!
  • sissuzi2
    Options
    Welcome Amity!

That is what we are here for... to help and encourage each other. Sharing what works for us and trying to encourage others along the lifestyle journey! My start was slow too, had to find what would work for me as you will too. Don't give up and try not to be discouraged, although at times I know that is easier said than done! You are here doing this for a healthier you, keep that first and foremost in your mind and don't let anything derail that train of thought.

I was taught after my RNY that I should only eat 3 meals a day and NO snacking. I find it works better for me to have 6 small meals a day, I also get all my supplements in as well, although I really feel like I'm eating all the time!

I am looking forward to helping to support you as well! We CAN do it!!!
  • nitabean47
    nitabean47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can so totally relate here.....starting weigh was 336, lowest after surgery 210, current 256. I want to know how the heck you lost 10 pounds that quick! I sit at my desk at work w/ a 64oz water jug and a straw not allowing myself to eat or snack until half of it is gone!
  • Midwestpeach2
    Options
    I am so glad to find this group! My name is Holly, I had the Roux-n-Y Gastric By-Pass in January of 2001. I went into surgery weighing 295, and I lost 130 pounds in 7 months. Then in 2008 I lost another 35 pounds which put me at my lowest weight of my life 135. Then I got pregnant! I gained 50 pounds with my son, and lost 35 of it after I had him. Over the past year I have put on 15 of that, and I am finding myself having to actually put the hard work in to get this weight off. So I have joined my fitness pal, bought a pair of running shoes, a garmin gps watch, and I ready to go. I am wanting to have my excess skin removed finally, but the plastic surgeon advised me not to even come in for a consult until I reach my goal weight. I am not sure if this applies to anyone else, but at times I feel like I had more self confidence at almost 300 pounds. I just want this weight off so I can feel good again! It's going to be tough journey, but I am ready for it!
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This post is from a few months back but I wanted to reply any way. I had RNY in 2005, lost 130lbs, got married, had 2 kids, then gained back 55lbs. I was about 236 when I joined MFP in March. Lost 20lbs on the 5:2 Diet, so this plan has been working for me so far. I would love to get back down to 175. I'll be sending you all friend requests because I would love to know how it's going for you. Hope you don't mind.

I saw someone post that there dietitian told them to aim for 1200 cals. Wondering if that was for losing weight or for maintaining?

I started with 1200 (based on 2lb loss/wk), but changed to 1360 (1.5lb loss/wk). Not counting my two 500 calorie days on the 5:2 diet, so I average about 1100 calories/day for the week. I've been losing about 1-2 lbs a week, which has been great, but I want to make sure I'm doing something that is ok for my stomach. I moved away from my surgeon and my current doctors are really clueless about WLS post-ops.