New here! So glad i found you guys!

Options
Hey, im julie. I am nursing my 6 month old and have had a ton of questions about breastfeeding and loosing weight. I have a 3 year old also. I got up to about 230 with my youngest child, and am back down to 178 now. I am looking to loose about 30 more pounds. I have been able to maintain about 1.6 pound loss each week while eating about 1600-1800 cals a day and if i go over, no biggie. I hope you guys can help me with my questions!!

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    also, feel free to add me!
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Nursing mommy here. I am currently nursing my almost 1 year old twins. I have also nursed my 5 other children. Feel free to add me.

As far as calories and nursing, you shouldn't go below 1800 while nursing especially if you run into supply issues. It takes the body 26 calories to produce one ounce of milk. So if a mommy produces 25 ounces a day she burns 650 calories to do so. When the number 500 calories is given as an extra amount for nursing mommies, it is with a calorie deficit to help post partum weight loss already built in.

To add nursing calories in you can log it under exercise (especially if you are concerned about your macros), log it under food, or simply change your calorie goal in the set up (also fixes the macro issue, but is terrible for the what you will weigh in 5 weeks.) I currently have set my goal higher and am playing around with my numbers since the babies are getting older. I used to log it as food everyday.

Best wishes on your nursing and weight loss journey! If there is anything I can help you with I would be glad to.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Nursing mommy here. I am currently nursing my almost 1 year old twins. I have also nursed my 5 other children. Feel free to add me.

As far as calories and nursing, you shouldn't go below 1800 while nursing especially if you run into supply issues. It takes the body 26 calories to produce one ounce of milk. So if a mommy produces 25 ounces a day she burns 650 calories to do so. When the number 500 calories is given as an extra amount for nursing mommies, it is with a calorie deficit to help post partum weight loss already built in.

To add nursing calories in you can log it under exercise (especially if you are concerned about your macros), log it under food, or simply change your calorie goal in the set up (also fixes the macro issue, but is terrible for the what you will weigh in 5 weeks.) I currently have set my goal higher and am playing around with my numbers since the babies are getting older. I used to log it as food everyday.

Best wishes on your nursing and weight loss journey! If there is anything I can help you with I would be glad to.

Thanks so much for that! I find that adding it as food as -400 is working well for me. It puts me at 1600and on most days i go over by 100-200 calories. Like i say, i am loosing weight at a steady pace and its working for me. Shes about to start eating more solids though so im going to have to play with the numbers and see what works. I love breastfeeding, its helping so much with weight loss.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you are going over by 1-200 then you are right in that range. I am glad that is working well for you. It drives me nuts to see the number in the red.:tongue: I was adding -1000 (for twins) and was still losing weight. Now they are almost a year and finally really into food, but still nursing tons so it is very much an adjusting process now. Glad it is going well for you.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    i hate seeing that negative red too! but just gotta keep in mind were still doing great!
  • StaceyMayfonz
    StaceyMayfonz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That is great!!! I am glad you are losing steadily and breastfeeding is going well for you...:happy:
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    :) thanks!