Which direction are you?

Options
tekhipee
tekhipee Posts: 20 Member
I can easily do left knee falls and get back up but not right

I can turnaround toe-stop of skate backwards by turning to the right but struggle on the left.

Most of the time I can't get my brain to make me actually try it. It is getting better however.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My right knee falls are a no brainer. Left knee...umm, let's just say they're passable by WFTDA standards.

I turn to the left when I transition to backwards. Counter clockwise. I'm also a figure skater, and this is my dominant turn style. I also turn to the left when I transition back to forward. That's a bit awkward. I need to work on turning back to the right to go forward again.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    Same here! I had to learn to break a lot of my figure skating habits when I joined derby.
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out but I am finding that I tend to favor my left side on all of my skills. Except the getting back up, I still struggle with that one but I noticed and so have my coaches that when I go to get back up that I push my legs really far apart almost into a split but when I work on it at home in tennis shoes I have absolutley no trouble getting up without using my hands its just when I put the skates on that I struggle.
  • tekhipee
    tekhipee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The last practice I was at, they were doing assessments (yearly and newb). For 2 hours, the rest of the girls did nothing but turn around toe stops at the specific spot on the floor - to practice hitting but stopping before going out of bounds. After two hours, I am 50% better at turning around on the one side and not hesitating before turning around at all.