Tips on Preparing for VSG Surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I thought it was weird that my taste would change after surgery, but they did! Before, I HATED bacon - even the smell made me want to vomit. After surgery, all I wanted was bacon! As a matter of fact, the first meal I made when I could eat normal food again was the bacon cheeseburgers from Eggface's website. Man, they were DELICIOUS! Also, pre-op, I really did not like anything strawberry flavored. I love strawberries, but anything that said "strawberry flavored" made me gag. I ate EVERYTHING strawberry for months!

Now, my tastes are back to normal. I dislike bacon just as much as I did before and strawberry flavors are nasty. I tried a sip of my husband's strawberry milk, which I LOVED when I was newly post-op, and I spit it back out. LOL - that's how I knew I was back to normal!

Eggface is wonderful. Her protein shake recipes were the only way I could get my protein in because I could not find one I liked. Syntrax Nectars? YUCK! Isopure? EW! Finally, I found Click and Syntrax Matrix 2.0 mint cookie and I'm in looooooooove! If you like mint chocolate chip ice cream, try the 2.0 mint cookie. It's sooooooo good!

Sample packs are the way to go! Check out About Time (www.tryabouttime.com). You can purchase sample packs from them for $3.99 for 2 (I think) and shipping is free on the sample packs. Everything I have tried, except for the banana, has been amazingly delicious!
  • cntrykami
    cntrykami Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all these great tips! I'm scheduled for my surgery on 10/29 and am getting ready to start my liquid diet. I'm excited about my surgery and future but I am very nervous about handling my sugars (I'm a Type 1 diabetic). All these tips are great! Thanks :)
  • Auntrobbie1
    Options
    I agree with previous suggestions and am fairly new myself (VSG 9-4-12). I had a friend who had the VSG just over a year ago and I watched her journey. It was amazing. She gave me samples so even though I bought some stuff she gave me small amounts of things to try. That helped. For my own personal tastes, I guess I had a hard time adding unflavored protein powder to my food. Didn't like the way it changed texture, dissolved etc. So for the most part I stick with pre made stuff or i add non fat dry milk powder to many thins. Premier protein shakes from Costco are my "go to 'meal". 30 grams of protein. Portable, tasty, easy. Also have explored many CALCIUM products and just ordered Calcet creamy bites after getting samples from my post op visit. They were the best tasting so far. I am just at 6 weeks post op and I am struggling with the need to "crunch". So I'm looking for suggestion on substitutes and opinions on Carbs, little carbs, no carbs? Good luck to you. I have found MFP to extremely valuable in such the short time I've been doing!
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can only dream of the day when I have parachute panties! LOL!! You ladies are cracking me up! =)
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ha! The "parachute panties" reminded me of this summer when I was at home (thank goodness). I was wearing shorts and underwear that were too big for me. When I bent over to give the dog his food dish, both the shorts and underwear hit the floor!! Oopsie!! :-O
  • LOL!!!

i love the underwear suggestion!!! it is SOO true!!!

I had VSG on 07/23/2012, highest weight was 386 - surgery weight was 353 - current weight is 269.

I also LOVE Sugar Free popcicles! I am 6 months post-op and I still eat 3-6 a day!

Make sure you have the gas x-strips with you at the hospital!!! you may have gas pain/bloating.
    also make sure that you have clothing around that is at least a size smaller then what you wear. if not 2 sizes smaller!

your about to embark on a wild ride! you will be amazed on the changes that your body will go thru over the next 12 months!
    keep smiling and have fun!!!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hey! It sounds like our Weight loss journey is following similar paths. I had my VGS 7/6/12. Highest weight was 346 - weighed 313 day of surgery and down 95 lbs at 251 today. If you are interested in following each ohers progress or just looking for support, feel free to friend me.
    PS Thanks for reminding me about the popcicles. I was eating them at the start and forgot about them.
  • wanttobeamoore
    wanttobeamoore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. I had VSG on 8/13/12. I lost 80 pounds pre-op and am 3 pounds away from having lost 100 pounds for good post-op. (I have another week to lose those 3 before I hit my 6 month surgiversary, so wish me luck!). Right after surgery, it will be hard to get anything down, so focus on protein shakes that can serve as protein and fluid. I lived on the Ensure drinks for the first couple of weeks post op, and I also like the Isopure Zero Carb creamy vanilla powder. Some other post op staples are puddings, pops, and broth. I used to take the broth from a cooked can of Progresso light chicken noodle soup and feed the noodles, chicken and veggies to my fiancé without any broth, lol!

Make sure you have an eye mask and ear plugs at the hospital for sure. My laptop was also a great thing to have, even though I don’t remember much about that week, I do remember that I was on Facebook on Pogo, so I must not have been bored! Also, bringing your own pillow for comfort is a must. I went back to work after 3 and a half weeks, but I wish I would have held out for 4. Those first weeks right after are so important to your healing process.

You will have an "OMG WTF did I just do!?!" moment after your surgery. Relax, it happens. But it is temporary. This has been the best decision of my life, hands down. After struggling with my weight my entire life, I can finally feel good about getting married (16 weeks, eek!) and starting to make babies!

As for what to do now, my main suggestion is to get an exercise routine down. Get yourself used to it and it will be much easier to go post-op. Try water aerobics, too! Also, you may want to start looking at some recipes for the pureed, soft foods, and even the regular foods stage. Pintrest has some great stuff under their Health & Fitness category, and you always tweak any recipe to be VSG friendly (remember, greek yougurt is your friend! You can pretty much add that stuff to anything!). There are also some great post-op books out there, and you can’t go wrong with eggface’s blog.

Good luck!