Artificial sweeteners

Options
levitateme
levitateme Posts: 999 Member
I've been a big diet soda drinker since I was young. Regular soda has always tasted too sweet and syrupy and left me more thirsty so I opt for the "zeros" or pepsi max. About a month ago I decided to cut them out. I've only been in on this weight loss quest for about a week but I've struggled with weight all my life. At my heaviest I was 210 and over 2 years in my early 20's I went down to about 135. I've bounced up and down, mostly because I tend to eat a bunch of junk when I'm bored or I just get intense cravings for candy.

My mother suffers from MS. She's also been a diet soda drinker for many years. I did some research on aspertame and sucralose and found that they've been linked to MS, Lupus, "fibromyalgia" and alzhiemer's. They can also cause people to over-eat. Since I've quit the cravings to binge on junk have pretty much disappeared. I don't know if it's psychosomatic or what but I have to say I feel a lot better. Currently I only drink water, unsweetened tea and coffee with agave. I find that stevia has an awful aftertaste so I don't bother with it.

If any of you drink diet sodas or use things with aspertame or splenda(light yogurt, sugar free cookies, sugar free jello, etc) I'd recommend you abstain for 2 weeks and see if staying on track becomes easier. It did for me.

Replies

• TKIY
    TKIY Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've quit my soda habit as well (also, largely diet) as an attempt to curb my caffeine intake.

Those first two weeks SUCKED, but I'm not missing it anymore. I drink way more water now, and a protein shake after workouts.
  • Opticalfish
    Opticalfish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to sweeten things with Stevia, since I find that it satisfies that need for 'sweet' but it doesn't seem to make me crave more sweets (if that makes sense). I don't know how good it is for you, but I've found it to be pretty nice tasting and from what I've read not nearly as bad for you either.

I also saw a commercial for that Nectresse and am super curious to try that.
  • GreyGal
    GreyGal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I thought the Stevia had a strange aftertaste as well. I thought it was just me since I know a lot of people that love it.