Pregnancy Workouts/DVDS

Options
I'm currently looking into getting another prenatal DVD for home workouts, but am super hesistant as to which to buy due to all the mixed reviews. I have Baby Bells by Lauren Brooks, The Perfect Pregnancy Workout Vol. 1, and Suzanne Bowen's Long and Lean Pregnancy Workout. The only one I truly enjoy is the Baby Bells workout.

Prior to getting pregnant I was mixing up HIT Kettlebell training and running, so I'm finding the other workouts to be boring or not feeling like I'm actually doing anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions and maybe an overview of the workout that you enjoy doing?

Thanks for any input! I really appreciate it!

Kim

Replies

• rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like the 10 minute solution prenatal pilates workouts. You can try them on YouTube. I also like Erin o'brien. She is kind of pilates with some light toning. Do NOT recommend Denise Austin's DVD! Really boring and annoying.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like the 10 minute solution prenatal pilates workouts. You can try them on YouTube. I also like Erin o'brien. She is kind of pilates with some light toning. Do NOT recommend Denise Austin's DVD! Really boring and annoying.

I tried a Denise Austin yesterday on youtube and thought it was a joke. Lots of wiggling your bum. It was ridiculous. I have an Erin O'Brien and she's not annoying at all but I'm not a pilates fan so it wasn't really for me unless I was doing it after something more intense for stretching/toning.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like vinyasa prenatal yoga and barre workout prenatal ballet dvd's. The yoga one has different workout lengths and positions to help you through labor and birth as well as partner stuff.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation as you. I feel like the pregnancy workout dvds are boring and not enough of a workout. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get bigger. For now I'm trying to walk as often as possible (which is usually only on the weekends when it's nice out) and I'm going back to my pre-pregnancy dvds. I'm starting to do Les Mills Pump again (with a lot less weight).
  • rosy003
    Options
    I should add, I love my Abs Diet 2 DVD. I was doing it before pregnancy and have continued- though I lightened my hand weights. I modify the abs portion.
  • kekevela
    kekevela Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just got the Tracy Anderson Pregnancy Project last night. It has a different workout for each month of pregnancy. I started on Month 3, but I think I might switch between 2 and 3 so I don't get bored.
  • rosy003
    Options
    Just tried Gabrielle Reece's dvd- not good. Requires too much stuff and even with all the props it isn't a very good workout. Skip it.
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll let you know if I find any additional disappointments as well!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just got the Tracy Anderson Pregnancy Project last night. It has a different workout for each month of pregnancy. I started on Month 3, but I think I might switch between 2 and 3 so I don't get bored.

I just heard about this and was thinking of getting it!

Do you like it? Do you feel like you are getting a good workout?
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Prior to getting pregnant I was mixing up HIT Kettlebell training and running, so I'm finding the other workouts to be boring or not feeling like I'm actually doing anything.

Oh I so know what you mean. I just had to quit my kickboxing class as my Dr. said at 14 weeks I'll start feeling discomfort. She's right, I can't keep up just because I get tired quicker, but it's like all the routines for pregnant women are so incredibly easy it's like "am I doing anything?" So it's as if I work out for real and poop out, or use these "fluffy" videos.

I do like 10 minute pilates solution. But I'm glad I've heard about Denise Austin's. I'll skip it.
  • achair12
    Options
    I got: Denise Austins (yea not my favorite, LOL) - the only thing I like is that there is more than one pregnant person and I like workouts with more people. So I do pop it in occassionally. But don't fee like it gives much of a workout.

I LOVE Erin O'Brien. I feel like I get a workout. My husband even did the partner workout with me (he sure has heavy legs, but thighs still hurt from that last night, LOL). And she is pretty fun!

I enjoy Summer Sanders as well. Only I got bored with during my first pregnancy because it was the same thing over and over. But a very good workout I think.

I also got Karyne Steben's The perfect pregnancy workout. I also feel like I work my muscles with this one. Her voice is calming for me too, haha

Lastly I got Gabrielle Reece's "Fit & Healthy prenatal workouts". I did it 2-3 times during the first trimester and haven't touched it since. I found it boring and didn't get much of a workout. So that one is going to the yardsale!

I preordered the Pregnancy Project. It looked great, but I don't get it till March and I will be close to the end of my second trimester. Anyone else use it and love it? I'm hoping I do!

I also try to do Leslie Sansome workouts and the treadmill for something different. I workout 6-7 days a week. For 20-40 minutes depending on the workout. So I have the fitness part down... if only I could conquer the eating thing. ):

Nice to see other people's thoughts on these workouts!
  • kimberly_grubbs
    Options
    I had to give up some of my kettlebell workouts due to the intensity and with how tired I was it was really throwing off my form, obviously leading to more problems. I can still do my pregnancy kettlebell workout which my doctor said I may eventually want to stop - she said eventually I may start to pee a little with all the squats - so far that has not happened! lol

I gave up ordering different DVDs and decided to join Planet Fitness. I'd rather pay the $10 a month and get a good cardio workout in 3-4x a week alternating with my kettlebell DVD 2x a week rather than keep ordering different things to see if I like them. I also found that I started getting super lazy cause I just hated my workouts!!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I was going to order the Tracy ANderson pregnancy project, but like someone else mentioned, I cant get it until mid March, and at that point I will be about 24 wks or so. I am wondering if it is worth getting since I missed the first half of the workouts.
    RIght now I am just doing Bob Harper workouts and modifying as needed, and p90x modifying as needed. I dont know if I should bother with the pregnancy project....
    unless anyone here has tried it and really really loved it.....
  • kimberly_grubbs
    Options
    Which Bob Harper workouts do you have? I love him!! His were the kettlebell ones that I had to give up - just way too intense at this point. If you're doing your workouts and modifying them as needed, I would almost think it wasn't worth it to order the pregnancy ones unless you're looking to utilize them towards the end of your pregnancy if you're unable to continue even with the modifications to your normal workouts.

I looked up some of the Tracy Anderson pregnancy workouts on youtube, and it it seems like a lot of the moves that are incorporated in the pregnancy workouts I already have. Definitely check it out there to see if you think it'd be beneficial - its not too expensive to the point that you'd be super angry for buying it! lol
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I forget the name of the Bob Harper ones, but they came as a set of four, and one is strength, one is cardio, one is upper body split and lower body, and I think one is yoga. They are really intense, but I like the idea of using weights. I feel so flabby lately so I wanted to do something other than treadmill to change things up.

I am going to checkout youtube right now!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I'm 11ish weeks and still doing my Zumba workout dvds. I'm looking for a fun workout with a pregnancy theme as I think I'm starting to need less jumping about but need to keep burning calories. Don't think I could stand slow yoga or pilates type workouts as I like the dance aspect of Zumba.

Can anyone recommend a good pregnancy dance-type workout?

And has anyone tried Davina's Pre and Post Partum workouts?
  • meredithrn77
    meredithrn77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I finally found a pregnancy workout dvd that actually makes me work and sweat. It's called "Expecting more: Sara Haley's Daily Sweat Pregnancy Program". I got it on Amazon. It has 6 different workouts. It includes a calendar telling you which workouts to do each day. Each week she changes up the order or combines workouts. I have really enjoyed it. I have tried many other ones and this is the first one I really like and feel like I am getting a real workout. Plus she isn't annoying to listen to. I would highly recommend it.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Meredith. I'll take a look into that one!
  • SpunkBean
    SpunkBean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to Second Summer Sanders workout! I really enjoy it! There are 3 workouts (one for each trimester) that focus on mainly strength training with a band (gotta get a band for this-- that's the only equipment you need though). It's a good strength training workout, but has zero cardio so you have to switch it up for cardio days.