Curious over where people are in their process

Options
Anyone want to share how long they have been trying to get healthier/lose weight?

I've been at this since July 2009. My highest weight was 335lbs. I have lost a lot but have about 50lbs left for me to feel like I'm "done".

Replies

• ResplendentWoman
    Options
    I re-started trying to lose weight in late October/early November, I think - not long before the holidays. Currently I am down about 16 lbs from my non-pregnant high weight and would like to lose an even 100.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I've been trying all my life! This time around, I've lost 147.6 pounds (44 from 2009, the rest since 1/1/12). I'm 7 pounds from my first goal of a normal BMI. But I'm more than 7 pounds overweight to look at me, so I think I'll try 10 pounds at a time until it feels right. My highest weight was 338.4...

Love MEFI and MFP! I'm going to try to keep my username there unconnected to my username here. No sense making life easier for any future stalkers...
  • jessamynwest
    jessamynwest Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started MFP last year and used it to lose what I called my "grieving weight" which was the weight I put on after my dad died and I spent some time not really giving a ****. I'm also 5' 2" so weight loss while staying out of "starvation" range (I know it's a bit of an overstatement but it's taken me a while to feel comfy with all of this) was slow going and I learned to make a lot of all new-to-me foods. I swar I went to a nearly all-squash-and-burrito diet!

I'm in the normal BMI range now and my goal is to stay here with close attention to what I eat and regular exercise. I am a good cheering squad person for MFP stuff since it worked well for me so far. Good to see folks here.
  • kjbarone
    kjbarone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I signed up for both Weight Watchers and MFP just 3 weeks ago. So far I'm finding MFP to be much easier for tracking, but I like the weekly weigh-ins and the pep talks at WW. I've lost 9 pounds so far and now I'm just a hair under 200. My long range goal is to lose at least 50 more pounds, but I know that may take a while. My short range goal is to get down to 189 which will represent a 10% loss - and I'm hoping to accomplish that by Easter (not so I can gorge on chocolate but because the whole family will get together for the first time since I started "dieting").

I'm so inspired by what others have done. Celeigh12 - you've lost more than 100 pounds since last year - wow!!!
  • Celeigh12
    Options
    KJ, friends on here can be really supportive and are wonderful for pep talks. Feel free to add me! (Anyone is welcome too!) I'm here every day.
  • megashark_kill
    megashark_kill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Celeigh12, your accomplishment really is incredible and inspiring!
  • tatiana131
    tatiana131 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been trying very actively for about a year and a half. I spent a year building a solid layer of muscle, and now it's time to trim down. My body is super slow to lose weight without very drastic measures, so it'll be a long-ish slog. I've barely budged since doing this for about a week or so, and am now adding running to speed up the results.
  • Janelikes
    Options
    I have been back and forth since Fall 2010 - I lost 20 pounds for my wedding and then put it all back on within the year post-wedding. Trying to lose weight again is annoying but I am hoping to stay motivated. I'm in the healthy range for my weight but I would like to tone up,eat better, and overall have a more consistent weight. I tend to be very cyclical - I can be really "good" for a few weeks and then fall off the wagon and not pay attention to my health for months at a time. I have been more active in my past and would love to have more exercise in my life but I struggle with time and energy to do so.
  • brigittejt
    brigittejt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to get back into the BMI below 25 (yes, I know BMI is a flawed metric, but my body shape means that it's a useful one for me). I did it *just* before I got pregnant.... 5 years ago. Put on a lot of weight during my pregnancy and have lost it in fits and starts - and gained in fits and stats - over the subsequent 4+ years, but never got back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I run as much as my job and family allow me, about 15-20 miles a week, but that makes me starving. Y'all know the drill :)

Last time I lost a decent chunk of weight (about 15lb, a couple of years ago) was tracking calories, so I'm hoping it will do the same this time. I'm 5'8", and I carry my weight pretty well, so I'm not trying to get skinny, but I have a family history of diabetes and I have been giving my belly the side eye for a while. No sign of blood sugar issues in me yet, but I'm big on prevention.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've been trying all my life! This time around, I've lost 147.6 pounds (44 from 2009, the rest since 1/1/12).

Way to go!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Having been a largely sedentary kid, except for the occasional hike or backpacking trip with the Boy Scouts, and then a college student with bad eating habits, I was significantly overweight when I started grad school in 1991. I walked a lot, but couldn't run more than a couple hundred feet without being winded. Trying to jog with a friend convinced me I needed to do something about my fitness, so I started swimming regularly. When my wife got an eczema that ruled out swimming for a while, we switched to running. I didn't bother dieting, but between exercising regularly and walking 2-4 miles a day to and from campus and shopping (and having the metabolism of someone in his early 20s), I went from somewhere around 180 lbs. (I'm not sure exactly what I weighed) to 137 in the fall of 1994. After some knee problems made running harder, and then getting a job in 1997, I started to put on about half a pound a month, until the summer of 2008, after my father's death, when I was up to the mid-220s. That shocked me enough that I started exercising regularly again (cycling, easier on the knees), but I found that while exercise alone seemed to stop the upward climb, it wasn't enough to lose weight now that I had the metabolism of a 40-year-old. I spent the next 4 years slowly fluctuating between 215 and 205, until this January, after reading about MyFitnessPal in Consumer Reports, I decided to give it a try and rigorously count calories.

So far it's working. The discipline of writing down what I eat has helped immensely in getting a sense of what my actual needs are and how they relate to the food I'm eating. MFP's tools make it easy to copy meals from previous days and then modify them as needed, and I find that the iPhone app's bar code reader is useful when eating prepared foods or entering a recipe. (I cook a lot from scratch, so I've created 31 recipes in 39 days.) I'm down about 7 lbs. from my starting weight in about 6 weeks. I have been riding my bike a fair amount (4-6 hours a week) and lifting weights to keep my muscles from disappearing along with the fat, but I've been eating to compensate for calories consumed in exercise, to avoid too great a calorie deficit.

I recently discovered John Walker's online book _The Hacker's Diet_ (Google will take you there), and while some of what he says about physiology seems speculative, his explanation of how to use exponentially weighted averages to compensate for daily weight fluctuations is well worth reading. His advice is to weigh yourself every day, but to then use mathematical tools to discover the trend that lies beneath daily fluctuation. It's the same principle as the skinny purple line on my Beeminder graph (https://www.beeminder.com/brianogilvie/goals/weigh).
  • Celeigh12
    Options
    I've been trying all my life! This time around, I've lost 147.6 pounds (44 from 2009, the rest since 1/1/12).

Way to go!

Thanks!