Another Newbie Here

Options
Anniel88
Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
Hi everyone!

I’m new to this group and thought I should introduce myself. I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and went to a new doctor last week because of continued complications. I was recommended for thyroid surgery and this new doctor said that my thyroid being enlarged and growing may be because I’m not really being treated. It should be getting smaller not bigger…And at which point he told me I should go gluten-free for at least three weeks because there is a strong correlation between celiac and gluten intolerance and Hashimoto’s. Part of me almost hoped I would not feel better going gluten-free just because I know how much of a challenge to eat that way, but I also want to feel better. Such mixed emotions!

So anyway, here I am on my 6th day being gluten free and I have already lost 8 pounds of water weight and already most of my joint pain has gone away. I’m also feeling more alert and less fatigued. I’m still waiting on my blood work to come back and I have a couple more weeks of this experiment, but it looks like I’m going to be in this for the long-haul and may be stopping on this board more often. Now that some of the initial shock and emotion has died down I think I'm good to say hi!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been GF for about 7 years (Celiac) and it gets easy. And sounds like you are getting very positive results quickly!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Welcome, it is amazing the damage gluten can do to your body. While I miss donuts, I never want to go back to feeling horrible again. Gluten Free for 4 years, living with Celiac.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I remember when I was told to go gluten free, I had that same conflicted feeling of almost hoping it wouldn't work. The good news is over 2 years later I barely give it a thought!
  • Spartan_Guy
    Spartan_Guy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at age 2 (30 years ago now - yikes!), so I've been doing this for a long time. If you have any questions, this is an amazing support group. You can also feel free to ask me anything and I'll help if I can!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! I've only been GF for 6 months due to celiac, but it amazing how much better I feel now then I did then, it doens't take long to notice a difference and that you'll feel so good that you won't ever be tempted to go back to gluten.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the supportive welcome! I appreciate all the encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Some people think going gluten free is hard. You just have to pay attention! I have been GF sine 1997. Celiac......at first, I thought I would have to omit all the good things but there are so many companies making GF foods now, it is getting easier....Lots of the local grocery store are carrying more products.. So check out those and go from there. Don't go spending a lot for all the flours until you know you need them.. As you have probably found out, everything is so expensive! Take you time and explore the GF world!