Hand stand pushups

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
How come hand stand push ups are easier facing the wall rather than facing out? Meant to ask last night.

Replies

• Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them that way. I can only do a couple at a time before I fall off the wall
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I haven't learned kippling on anything yet so all mine are strict. Gettin close to being able to do the kipp pullups though.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    ha, nothing about handstand pushups is easy for me, lol.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How come hand stand push ups are easier facing the wall rather than facing out? Meant to ask last night.

I have not done these yet at my box. When I do them on my own I always face way from the wall. Now I am curious to try them the other way!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i think... when you walk up the wall you aren't "fully" vertical because to maintain hollow body and not smack your nose/chest on the wall you are just a few inches less than vertical, plus you can almost use your toes for assistance.

when you kick up, you need to keep hollow body so your booty isn't smashed up on the wall and you can hit true parallel, and you can't use your feet for assistance at all.

that is my biggest guess... though im not the best source cause i need 3 abmats under my head for strict and 2 for kipping still :)
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    only time I do them facing the wall is if I am walking up the wall
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've only done them facing the wall. It'd be interesting to try the other way as well.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hmm I've only ever done them facing out, will have to try them both ways
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Z,
    it's easier to face the wall due to the anatamy of your spine.

When your spine is contracted slightly (your spine is pushing towards the posterior), you are more stable in the shoulder girdle and core, thus you have more power for the overhead press.

When you are facing away from the wall your spine is arched (your spine is pushing towards your belly/anterior), thus you are opening up the shoulder girdle and have no secondary muscle support for the shoulder girdle or the primary supporters your pectoral muscles when you press.

happy training!

The secret to handstand pushups is to push your ribs towards your spine, or what gymnasts call locking out. That aligns the spine nicely with the shoulder girdle and all the supporting muscle groups can help the arms and shoulders during the press.