Is this acid reflux?

Options
I think I am fighting acid reflux or heartburn. I am not sure, as it is a new "sensation". They fixed my hiatal hernia when I had my VSG surgery and i was not sent home with any type of antacid meds. I just started having this when I went to full foods. It's a "discomfort" with some gurgling then usually I have to burp. Before surgery, anything like this would be located above my "bra line" but this is below that "line". It's kind of like - I don't know what this is, but if I had to make a guess.... kind of situation. Can anyone help? All these new sensations are hard to describe sometimes!
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tashacan
    tashacan Posts: 121
    Options
    I think I am fighting acid reflux or heartburn. I am not sure, as it is a new "sensation". They fixed my hiatal hernia when I had my VSG surgery and i was not sent home with any type of antacid meds. I just started having this when I went to full foods. It's a "discomfort" with some gurgling then usually I have to burp. Before surgery, anything like this would be located above my "bra line" but this is below that "line". It's kind of like - I don't know what this is, but if I had to make a guess.... kind of situation. Can anyone help? All these new sensations are hard to describe sometimes!
    Thanks in advance!

How far out are you? I'm only a little more than 3 months out but, YES I have this from time to time as well! I do take an over the counter acid reducer every few days. Some days this bothers me and other days I don't notice it. Some days the "discomfor" even hurts....but not very often. :)

Hope this helps. :)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Gas is a normal thing after WLS. If it doesn't hurt like acid reflux, don't worry about it. If it hurts in any way, talk to your doctor. I might just be gas trapped, (ry eating slower), but if it is acid coming up or a deep pain it might be acid reflux.

I still have to take Protonix even 2 years out from surgery. Some do some don't. But if you had it before surgery, you may have to take it after.
  • JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lord, I make all sorts of stomach gurgle sounds. And that's one year out!
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    I am 7 weeks out. Sometimes it happens after I eat, but a lot of times it is "at its worse" when my stomach is empty - like 2-3 hours after I have eaten. I figure it is just part of the "new me" and as long as it isn't making me sick, I'm probably alright.
    Thanks everyone for your replies!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Talk to your surgeon about it. I had a hital hernia repaired also with my Sleeve surgery and had the same issue. I went back on generic Priolsec and they also gave me anti nausea med that helped alot. I had acid reflux issues before surgery too. Now almost 8 months out no acid reflux and no meds taken for it either. When you have the hital hernia repaired it is also swollen so it is hard to get liquids and solids down. My surgeon said people that have both of these done at the same time have this issue.
    Good luck!
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    After a lot of coaxing of everyone I called the nurse, who talked to the doc. They really don't know what it is at this point. It don't matter if I eat or drink, 1 bite/drink and I am nauseated. Continual discomfort and pain. Doc says to give it through the weekend. If it isn't better to call back on Monday and they will schedule a scope to check it out.