Place to eat

Options
Coolhand1969
Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
Anyone have any good somewhat healthy places to eat around the area that we all might now know about? When we were in DC, we stopped by a great salad place called chop't, where they custom hand make your salad for you in front of you - kind of like a Subway style method or something but a lot lot better.... Unfortunately, they're only in NY and DC... :( hopefully someone can throw a gem out there like that though :)

Replies

• jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    http://wheneddiemetsalad.com/

When Eddie Met Salad is a salad place close to IUPUI campus, there are a few other locations around the north side of Indy.

I ate at Souplantation in San Diego and it was better than When Eddie Met Salad but this is a good option for Indy. Would love to know of more...
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find that just right place too! I love a little restaurant up by Broad Ripple called, SoBro Cafe. They make all of their food from scratch and use a lot of organic, gluten free, vegetarian type dishes. BEST baked sweet potato fries! But they are known for their crepes. : ) Good luck!
  • Coolhand1969
    Options

When Eddie Met Salad is a salad place close to IUPUI campus, there are a few other locations around the north side of Indy.

Thanks! looks good! they have calorie counts on the menu also! nice :)
  • debramariemary
    debramariemary Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    McAllisters has a lite menu with calories listed on complete meal. I like it because I don't need to calculate or worry about hidden calories. I wish every place would do that and have low cal available.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    McAllisters has a lite menu with calories listed on complete meal. I like it because I don't need to calculate or worry about hidden calories. I wish every place would do that and have low cal available.
    Yup. One of the things I like about Panera, too. That's one advantage to chain restaurants--the calorie counts are available online so you can do some research and plan ahead before you go.

For good, locally-sourced, but not necessarily low-calorie food, try Pearl Bistro up by the Marsh on 86th & Ditch. It's not on the menu at the moment, but when they have the lamb bacon BLT, it's most definitely worth a splurge!

http://www.pearlbistro.biz/index.html
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    Jason's deli has a great salad bar and a light menu.
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    Jason's deli has a great salad bar and a light menu.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I ate at Souplantation in San Diego and it was better than When Eddie Met Salad but this is a good option for Indy. Would love to know of more...

I second this place. Plus there are so many options for meat, toppings. I think I know where I will have lunch on Sunday!
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    By the way, When Eddie Met Salad is closed on Sunday. I don't know for sure that all are, but I know the one by the pyramids is. : ( I went especially for a light lunch, and was most saddened!
  • SoSwank
    SoSwank Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stir Crazy in Greenwood. You can choose brown rice and load up on veggies for your dish.
  • beerylicous
    beerylicous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was going to say SoBro Cafe also. There salmon salad is great! It is so fresh and they have yummy vegan cakes!
  • aprilkats
    aprilkats Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    McAllisters is great, and so is Zoup Soups, on Carmel Dr. And 31. Lite options and so tasty!
  • larzie65
    Options
    Panera is great, they have calories listed on the menus, the "You PIck Two" menu is loaded with good things that will fill you up but without a lot of calories. McAlisters is also another good one! Several chain restaurants like Applebees and O'Charley's are not working on a low-cal menu.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Panera is great, they have calories listed on the menus, the "You PIck Two" menu is loaded with good things that will fill you up but without a lot of calories. McAlisters is also another good one! Several chain restaurants like Applebees and O'Charley's are not working on a low-cal menu.

I haven't been to Applebee's in a while, but don't they still have thoseWight Watcher selections on the menu? There used to be about six of them that were pretty good (and they had the calories listed)...
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I haven't been to Applebee's in a while, but don't they still have thoseWight Watcher selections on the menu? There used to be about six of them that were pretty good (and they had the calories listed)...
    I was at an Applebee's a month ago and they still have the weight watchers items on the menu. I usually don't eat a lot of red meat but the Roasted Garlic Sirloin is pretty good. It has 42g of protein and isn't too bad on fat at 19g.
  • awindisch
    Options
    PIta Pit on W. 86th St.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

They used to have this menu. It used to be called the under 500 calorie menu. They stopped doing it when people actually called them out on their calorie count. Maybe they still have a lite menu, but not sure about the calorie content in it. Its like eating Bologna thats 98% fat free, but theres still 20g of fat in it. :laugh:

When I go to Mcallisters I try to stay with the salads (dressing on the side) and a bowl of chili. I will get the potato with the chicken on it and not put butter or sour cream on it.
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bd's Mongolian Grill is located in Clearwater Crossing, it's similar to Stir Crazy. The raw food is set up like a salad bar, you choose protein, veggies and sauce then they cook it for you. They'll bring white or brown rice to the table (or both). I haven't been there in a while and don't hear many people talk about it but it's alway busy when I've been there.

http://www.gomongo.com/locations/locationDetails.php?loc=18
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for more of a fine dining experience, check out Seasons 52 at Keystone @ The Crossing. Everything on their menu is less than 475 calories and absolutely delicious. Menu changes seasonally, they have really awesome flatbreads and salads. They also have little dessert indulgences that are shooters - just enough to get a little bit of a sweet treat. I agree about both Panera and McAllisters since you can look up their nutrition info online. I eat Qdoba a lot too, I love to get their kids naked burrito bowl (without the rice) - pretty decent on calories and protein-loaded.
  • Katie9191
    Options
    Both Applebee's and Chili's have lighter options with calorie counts on the menu. I had the sweet and spicy chicken at Chili's (chicken, rice, and steamed broccoli) and it was delicious!