What do you do with corn tortillas?

Options
MoniMoni2u
MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
Hi everyone. I've only been gluten-free for a month. I haven't missed bread but I've missed the opportunity for a quick easy lunch item now that I'm working from home and only get 1/2 an hour off for lunch.

Yesterday I made a cheese quesadilla using corn tortillas instead of flour. Anyway, I've decided my tuna melt would be good this way as well, so I will be trying that later this week.

Any other great ideas for using corn tortillas?

Replies

• dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You can get brown rice tortillas.. I use them for wraps--not quite as easy to roll but it works....Also try Udi's products... they are good tasting....Rudi's are ok and my health food store manager says Kinnibunk is a new company making some good breads.. He was sold out of them...
  • MoniMoni2u
    Options
    Great ideas. My goal is to use as many foods as possible that were on my grocery list before going gluten-free as possible. When I'm hungary for bread, I'll make my own using gluten-free flours but hope to stay away from as many processed products as possible.

Brown rice tortillas, huh? May have to look into those! LOL
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've used them for wrapping burgers, egg burritos, grilled cheese, and peanut butter and jelly. You can use them for anything, but I hate them. I didn't like them before, and I just can't make myself like them now. lol But they are versatile.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've used them for wrapping burgers, egg burritos, grilled cheese, and peanut butter and jelly. You can use them for anything, but I hate them. I didn't like them before, and I just can't make myself like them now. lol But they are versatile.

I'm with you. I don't perticularly like corn tortillas at all. It seems they just have too much grease which kills my stomach. I do use Mexican food as my only guilty pleasure and eat them that way. It's really the only resturaunt food that I can eat anymore.

I did buy a package of them to make wraps out of, but eventually the kids just ate them with quesadillas because I didn't like the way they greased up in the pan when I fried them.
  • Spartan_Guy
    Spartan_Guy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you want them to roll better, and/or use them for quesadillas, heat up some oil on the stove and dip the tortillas for about 10-20 seconds. Dry them thoroughly. They'll be stretchier, and have a much better consistency.

...of course, the oil isn't really good for you, but it definitely makes them more palatable.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I looove corn tortillas- I use them for everything! I eat them pretty much every morning as an egg burrito- I've also used them as a crust for quiche. I cut them in triangles or strips and use my misto to spray olive oil on them and bake them for tortilla chips or strips. I use them for tacos and enchiladas too. Basically anything that you used to put inbetween a sandwhich works with corn tortillas. I like them a lot better toasted than just plain. Sometimes I just put them right on top of the burner on medium heat and let them get toasty for 20-30 seconds on each side to give them a better taste.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    LOVE the Rudi's tortillas too! They're pretty good, but I can't justify the cost.

I use tortillas for most of my sandwich stuff.

What I want is a good, easy tortilla recipe I can make myself.
  • MoniMoni2u
    Options
    What I want is a good, easy tortilla recipe I can make myself.

Me too! And a good pita recipe as well! :)
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made a cheese quesadilla using corn tortillas instead of flour. Anyway, I've decided my tuna melt would be good this way as well, so I will be trying that later this week.

Careful with the tuna as well. Check the can for broth.
    Last time I had "broth" it was the worst accidental "glutening" experience I've had in a long time....
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There was a quesedilla cookbook free on Kindle the other day. Ah, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mexican-Food-Cookbooks-ebook/dp/B00A49DGVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1360204825&sr=1-1&keywords=quesadilla

You don't need a Kindle to read it. Your iPhone or Cloud Reader on your PC/Mac/Tablet works fine.
  • julesgirls9103
    Options
    I make chicken and spicy cheese quessadillas. I did that for lunch on Tuesday. I also make pizza roll-ups in the oven by taking the corn tortilla and sliced tomatoes and cheese with italian seasoning. Either nuke it up or throw it in the oven but they are really scrumptious for a pizza craving.
  • julesgirls9103
    Options
    Also shredded chicken (with or with out bar-b-que sauce but I prefer with out because it has less sugar) shredded lettuce and tomatoes with a smidge of sour cream. yumm
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    Ooooh yum! Sounds good, Jules!
  • MoniMoni2u
    Options

Careful with the tuna as well. Check the can for broth.
    Last time I had "broth" it was the worst accidental "glutening" experience I've had in a long time....

Thanks for the tuna comment...didn't check, but I have checked my broths! :) I'm new and need to be vigilent!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    Broths. Yeah. Check out this thread - a lot of people gave good info in it...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859763-campbell-s-broth-has-wheat-gluten
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    Heaven Mills GF Pita bread is a pretty good tasting gf pita bread. Calories are way high and listed for one third of a pita- I eat half at a time, as do most normal people... grin.

I use corn tortillas for sandwiches but lately I have used lettuce leaves to make "sandwich wraps". Mann's Individual lettuce leaves is the product brand I use. They come in a square box in the salad section of the grocery.

I wrap it around turkey & cheese slices, chicken salad, tuna, etc. Really good!
  • mrsploy
    Options
    I eat them like you do and think they are fantastic. My husband cannot stand the texture, but I still use them all the time!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Personally taken Tj Rice tortillas and baked them in the toaster oven for a Crispy Treat! .. plain. .or for a Guac, bean or pea dip, or crunched over a Soup. Lots of Possiblities here!
    :flowerforyou:
  • bethkrusac
    bethkrusac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac's and a gluten allergy (Yes, both...it's a joy!) and my husband who isn't GF, has gone GF because of just living with me. Anyhow, we both LOVE corn tortillas. We make normal sandwiches but just in a tortilla and fold it over. It helps if I very lightly toast it or microwave it so that it doesn't' fall apart.

Also, any grilled cheese recipe, I just make into a "quesadilla" of sorts, too. Same ingredients in a tortilla and fold it over, then toast it in my toaster oven. My favorite is spinach, goat cheese and avocado in a corn tortilla and then lightly toasted!

We've also made breakfast burritos in bulk and frozen them for a quick and easy "on the go" breakfast. Again, use a toaster oven to keep it from being soggy, but I definitely recommend!