New here.

Options
Melinda_S
Melinda_S Posts: 3 Member
Hi! I want to introduce myself. This group is exactly what I need. My name is Melinda, I am 38, married, with 3 kids. I love beer, and I know it has played a major role in my weight gain and inability to lose weight over the last few years. I don't love wine, or any other alcohol, so switching to something like Vodka Diets isn't an option for me. Even going to a lighter beer is not an option. I can't stand the taste of the Ultras and the 55's. Uggh. I think maybe it's a Minnesota thing, but the big green olives in beer is very common here, and my brother got me hooked. Those olives really crank up the calories, and the saltiness makes the beers go down twice as fast. I am going to try to limit to weekends, I just hope that doesn't make me drink a whole case on saturdays ;) I might need some help.

Replies

• ASLacey
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lacey.

I don't like beer, but I might need to try a beer with the green olive thing - hmmm ...

I like wine, no actually I love wine ... but I love the idea of losing weight more than I love wine (sounds good, right?) ... so I want to limit myself to weekend wine only. I guess it's a good thing I joined this group on a Friday!!!

I know that making this change will help in my weight loss journey, just like all the of the other changes I've been making, one change at a time!

Cheers,

Lacey
  • emmojess
    emmojess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Lacey & Melinda! My name is Jess & i'm with you. My husband and I are craft brew enthusiasts. We're up in New England and its a huge culture. We even have a kegerator in our living room with 2 brews on tap at all times. Talk about temptation! But i'm an equal opportunity drinker. Last night i had red wine, a sake cosmo and a scorpion bowl. my head is aching this morning and i'm just sick of not feeling healthy. Shall we keep each other motivated? Tonight will be tough since its Saturday...

What do you have planned?
  • ASLacey
    Options
    We can def do this!!!
  • Melinda_S
    Options
    I've been saving it for the weekends, and so far I have done pretty well. I am sooo glad the Superbowl is on the weekend! Jess, I think It would be almost impossible for me to have a kegerator and not drink out of it every day. I am just buying a 12 pack on Friday, and having a few on Friday, Sat, and Sun. If my husband has a few with me then they are gone by Sunday night, and they can't call my name all week. My husband is usually a wine drinker though, so mostly, I get to drink them all :) You are right Lacey, one change at a time.
  • thekatspjs
    thekatspjs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    its so nice to see other women that are struggling with this like i am. today is my 7th alcohol free day in a row. yay! after having my daughter almost 2 years ago, i have not lost any baby weight due to being too sedentary and inadvertently keeping up with my husband when it comes to drinking. that is not good because my husband falls into the "almost alcoholic" category, as i sometimes fear i do. my self esteem was suffering so much due to not fitting into ANY of my clothes 2 years after giving birth. therefore i wear yoga pants and stretchy jeans every day. talk about letting myself go. it was getting to me so bad, that i just up and quit alcohol last week. after only 7 days, i have lost a few lbs and i feel a million % better. it is so worth it. now that i have started to see results, i am not going back. alcohol is such a trap and just simply not worth it. for me at least. i am thinking about reading the book almost alcoholic as i saw it quoted in a womens health magazine article and it struck a chord with me. the opening line was, "do you drink to that? and that? and that? and that?"
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    @thekatspjs - Congrats on your 7 days. If you're looking for reading material, Allen Carr's book is pretty good. It's a very different perspective on alcohol in general. I figured out how many calories I've had to drink in the last 90 days since I was trying to "cut back". Ugh, what a waste.

@Melinda and Jess - How I miss good craft beer. We used to brew our own as well. Congrats and keep it up.
  • Melinda_S
    Options
    @thekatspjs - Good job on cutting out the alcohol. I have cut it out completely to lose weight in the past and it definately works. Do you think you will cut it out forever? My problem always seems to be that I lose motivation. I end up doing really well for a while and then I lose all motivation and go back to all my old habits, which are sitting around and having beers, not working out, and eating junk. I would consider myself "almost alcoholic" too, but I have no problem cutting it out if I set my mind to it. I had no problem giving it up completely for years at a time through 3 pregnancies and nursing for many months after with each one. I have never driven drunk, or done anything that could harm my children so I guess at this point my biggest problem is that it's keeping me fat. I have the same problem with junk food as I do with beer. It tastes so good, and I don't want to have to deny myself the things I love for the rest of my life, so I need to figure out moderation. I want to have a cheeseburger or pizza some day again too, but I know I can't have them every day, even though I really want to. I did pretty well with counting calories and giving myself a cheat day in the past, but then I got pregnant again and that was my excuse to eat whatever I wanted. Of course there are many different aspects to it, but mostly moderation will be my key to long term success I think.
  • thekatspjs
    Options
    it was hard to for me cut it out while pregnant, and i did, but towards the end i had a couple drinks on a couple occasions. its definitely kept me fat, and it also kept me in an underperforming mode. it was hard to do all the housework, work out, cook take care of my toddler etc. to do all those things without being super stressed out, i pretty much cant drink. if i do drink, it makes all of those things seem unsurmountable. even one week without drinking has changed my level of activity and i am accomplishing so much more.
  • emmojess
    emmojess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm loving the honesty in here. Another great book is 'drinking; a love story'. the author's last name is Knapp, not sure of the first. It is totally a woman's perspective of her clinging, desperate love affair with alcohol. Really intense & introspective.

I had a vodka and soda last night on a date with the husband and one right now :/ i almost drove off the road this morning due to some black ice so I've been pretty wound up. But no nightly 4 or 5 beers or bottle of wine. My skin feels better, my mind is clearer and i have more energy. I'm hoping i find that i can enjoy alcohol without abusing it.

@katspjs, I'm sure now that you're seeing results it will be even easier to abstain. 7 days woohooooo!

The kegerator isn't even calling my name right now. I like this new me :D
  • thekatspjs
    Options
    well today is alcohol free day 15. made it 2 weeks. it seems like longer. it isnt hard once its off the table. except for times like last night when my husband tried to get me to go to my favorite mexican restaurant where they have awesome margaritas. its my complete weak spot, and i cant go there and not have a margarita and all the food there is probably 3-4 days worth of calories in a meal. i said, "its your choice. do you want a fat wife or a thin wife? you make the call. i cant go there if you want a thin wife." we didnt go, but he wanted me to cave in. other than times like that, its not that hard.
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    @thekatspjs congrats on the 15 days! That is incredible! I'm giving up drinking for Lent. I honestly don't know how I'll handle 40 days, but if you can do it so can I! Glad to hear you are so successful. Have a great day!
  • thekatspjs
    Options
    dropped 2 more lbs. makes 6 in 2 weeks. i am pretty sure that would not have happened if i had kept drinking. cheers!
  • rascal58
    rascal58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting MFP again for the second time. Last summer I lost about 15 pounds( my goal was 50) using MFP. My main goal was to look better for my daughters wedding. So I did look alittle better and then right after the wedding fell into my bad habits and regained it all plus 5 pounds. My main downfall...wine. I'm glad that I found this group. Reading these posts makes me realize I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I can go for several days without wine but then in order to treat myself I'll have a glass or two or six. Next day... no motivation. No working out. Eating whatever . SO I'm going to keep it out of the house ...not go to the store after 4 pm (somehow it ends up in the cart) and keep logging on!!!
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    wine has been my downfall too, so no more! basically, if I write down all of my goals, wine does not help me get to any of them and is only hurting. day 1 of being in this group and loving it already. I know I will need the support!!!