The CrossFit Open!

Options
Have you participated before? Already signed up? Thinking about it? No way in hell? Share your thoughts, opinions and experiences with The CrossFit Open right here. Games season is just weeks away!

Replies

• dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for this year! I did the Open the first year it was held but missed it last year. I had just moved to a brand new box that had not yet been affiliated. In 2011, my wife convinced me to participate just before registration closed. I have never been happier to have made the commitment. I was just coming into my 2nd full year of doing CrossFit and my goal was to not get knocked out. If you cannot complete a WOD at Rx, you are out. Both me and my wife learned that we were so much more capable than we ever imagined. It was a huge turning point for both of us in CrossFit. I highly recommend it!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how I've not done a WOD at Rx yet, I'm going to sit this year's out. Next year, maybe! And I'll still enjoy following along with the WODs, just not competing :)
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - this is something I look to in the future, which would be a cool goal to have. I've only Rx'd one time in a month and a half so far :)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Would like to go support my crossfit friends at one. I'm no where near ready, cardio wise. I wish I was...so sad = (
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Would like to go support my crossfit friends at one. I'm no where near ready, cardio wise. I wish I was...so sad = (

Same and I have a real problem with pull ups since it kills my hands.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Signed up :)
    I did the open for the first time last year and managed to not get kicked out. I didn't do that great, but I was proud of myself for getting my first chest-to-bar pull up, first 75-lb snatch, and execute a handful of double unders. Looking forward to 13.1...can't wait to see what it'll be!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is something i want to do in the future. next year!!! this year i'm no where near ready. i did find some list of fitness standards on the crossfit website and have been working to make those. this first quarter of the year i'm working on increasing my cardio, endurance and stamina because those all suck.

good luck to those who compete!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    nope, still 4 years from Masters. Preparing, waiting to take over!! LOL:glasses:
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I did all the Open workouts last year but I didn't sign up officially.

The affiliate I go to has a team and so they are having their mediocre to best members sign up because some random person might end up being really good at one of the WODs and helping out the team score. I can't RX pull ups so it probably won't go too great. :/ Oh well. Should be fun at least.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'll probably do it. I did it last year 3 months into my CrossFit life. We will be doing all the WOD's in class regardless, so why not? It's fun! Hoping to Rx everything! Wasn't able to pull it off last year.....
  • littlehokie
    Options
    I signed up, they recommended we do just to have a benchmark to compare to every year. There's no way I'll be able to RX everything though.
  • artsyalice
    artsyalice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    our box is doing the WOD's every Thursday anyway so you really have nothing to lose if you sign up. I'm still not sure if I will though.....
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options
    I am seeing a lot of posts in this thread and also hearing a lot of chatter in the Box about people not wanting to sign up for fear of not being able to do all of the WOD's at Rx. Allow me to offer some perspective as a coach.

1. The CrossFit Open is a primary revenue stream for CrossFit HQ. They are not going to make the initial WOD's so tough that people cannot finish them. It would not make financial sense. If 70% of participants are eliminated after week 1, those people are not going to come back next year. The first WOD last year was 7 min amrap burpees for a reason. No one got knocked out on round 1.

2. It isn't all about you: CrossFit is as much a community activity and team sport as anything else. So what if you cannot do a pull-up or double unders? Everyone is good at something. Each week, your team's ranking is based on the top 3 men's and women's scores. Most likely, you will be contributing to your team's score at some point over the 5 weeks. You will feel rewarded for having decided to do The Open after all.

3. You are so much better than you think you are: In 2010 I saw some of the most inspiring things I have ever seen in a CrossFit gym. Sure, you may be thinking that "my box is programming The Open WOD's every Thursday anyway, so what difference does it make if I sign up?" The difference is that maybe the weight or WOD is more than you think that you can handle. But you are so much more likely to fight like hell to stay in the competition if it is do or die. I will give you the example of my wife. On so many WOD's she would have the most reps and fastest times but rarely if ever went Rx. She had been a tennis player and runner for years and was afraid she was not strong enough to do the daily programming at Rx. Then a clean and jerk WOD showed up in The Open. It was probably 20-30 lbs heavier than she had ever gone. She tried that WOD probably 7 times over 4 days to get the one rep she needed to stay in competition. The end result was that her clean jumped from 70'ish lbs to 103 lbs. She needed 110 to stay in competition and got knocked out of competition but she learned that she had the heart of a lion and she never ever ever gave up. Everyone in the gym was touched and had her back. The fact that she got bumped made no difference. She was inspired to believe in herself and inspired others as well. Just telling the story to you now, I am getting emotional thinking about it.

4. Is a great benchmark for future reference: One of the major CrossFit tools is measurability. How would you know if an exercise program or diet was working if you did not have a baseline? If you are in your rookie year of doing CrossFit, you will want to have participated in The Open to see how far you have come year after year. You are going to make your biggest leaps in year 1. Allow yourself to be inspired by looking back in a year and realizing how far you have come. To me, it's worth the $20!

I hope these ramblings will at least get you to reconsider if you have written it off or are on the fence. I mean, if you are doing CrossFit because it is hard, not because it is easy, right?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I may do a local comp at their box, but I'm know where near ready for that yet.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    I am seeing a lot of posts in this thread and also hearing a lot of chatter in the Box about people not wanting to sign up for fear of not being able to do all of the WOD's at Rx. Allow me to offer some perspective as a coach.

1. The CrossFit Open is a primary revenue stream for CrossFit HQ. They are not going to make the initial WOD's so tough that people cannot finish them. It would not make financial sense. If 70% of participants are eliminated after week 1, those people are not going to come back next year. The first WOD last year was 7 min amrap burpees for a reason. No one got knocked out on round 1.

2. It isn't all about you: CrossFit is as much a community activity and team sport as anything else. So what if you cannot do a pull-up or double unders? Everyone is good at something. Each week, your team's ranking is based on the top 3 men's and women's scores. Most likely, you will be contributing to your team's score at some point over the 5 weeks. You will feel rewarded for having decided to do The Open after all.

3. You are so much better than you think you are: In 2010 I saw some of the most inspiring things I have ever seen in a CrossFit gym. Sure, you may be thinking that "my box is programming The Open WOD's every Thursday anyway, so what difference does it make if I sign up?" The difference is that maybe the weight or WOD is more than you think that you can handle. But you are so much more likely to fight like hell to stay in the competition if it is do or die. I will give you the example of my wife. On so many WOD's she would have the most reps and fastest times but rarely if ever went Rx. She had been a tennis player and runner for years and was afraid she was not strong enough to do the daily programming at Rx. Then a clean and jerk WOD showed up in The Open. It was probably 20-30 lbs heavier than she had ever gone. She tried that WOD probably 7 times over 4 days to get the one rep she needed to stay in competition. The end result was that her clean jumped from 70'ish lbs to 103 lbs. She needed 110 to stay in competition and got knocked out of competition but she learned that she had the heart of a lion and she never ever ever gave up. Everyone in the gym was touched and had her back. The fact that she got bumped made no difference. She was inspired to believe in herself and inspired others as well. Just telling the story to you now, I am getting emotional thinking about it.

4. Is a great benchmark for future reference: One of the major CrossFit tools is measurability. How would you know if an exercise program or diet was working if you did not have a baseline? If you are in your rookie year of doing CrossFit, you will want to have participated in The Open to see how far you have come year after year. You are going to make your biggest leaps in year 1. Allow yourself to be inspired by looking back in a year and realizing how far you have come. To me, it's worth the $20!

I hope these ramblings will at least get you to reconsider if you have written it off or are on the fence. I mean, if you are doing CrossFit because it is hard, not because it is easy, right?

This is awesome and I agree. Thanks!
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options
    Here are links to all past CrossFit Open WOD's. This may help you decide if it is for you. Keep in mind that since everything is pretty much and AMRAP, all that you have to do is the first rep of any given WOD and you can stay in. It isn't as hard as you think.

2011:
    http://games2011.crossfit.com/content/open-summary.html

2010:
    http://games.crossfit.com/content/open-workouts
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options

Goosebumps! Good luck to you! I just hope NZ airs the games!!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm in it for year 2 for me (was about 6 or so months in last time). GAME ON! Let's get this party started!
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I won't enter this year b/c some of the movements I still haven't gotten down pact. I'm too competitve to enter it and do badly. However, next year I'm going to raise all kind of hell.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options
    What an inspirational experience. Our little rookie box, CrossFit Carrboro, has 48 members signed up. This morning at 6 am, 10 of us knocked it out! 102 reps with 6:00 minute tie breaker. Let's hear about your experience and scores!