Loose Skin?

Options
28 year old female in the pre-op stage for VSG. I've had one normal pregnancy. My stats are:

Height: 5'6"
SW: 231
CW: 214
GW: 135

The thought of loose, saggy skin after I have the VSG is enough to sometimes make me think twice about VSG. I'm so afraid that I will need corrective surgery afterwards - and that is simply not an option. I already go to the gym 6 days per week and plan to continue that after the VSG.

Is it possible to obtain a lean body after the VSG with just diet and exercise?

Replies

• JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Each person is different I think, however the big thing in your favor is your age. If you hit the weight training hard, I'll bet that you don't have too much of an issue :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Depends on how old you are, how long you have been obese, how much weight you loose.... and so on. I have been obese all my life and at age 48 had the sleeve surgery. I have loose skin. I am working out and with weights but there is only so much that will do. Many times the only solution is to have surgery to remove it.
  • JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Spfldpam... I'm in that same boat... 46... over 250 since I was 22. Sigh. Oh well. Better the saggy skin than the fat. :)
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah...every BODY is different, but, as previous posters said, age is in your favor, depending on how long you've had the extra weight on.

I started at 370 AND have had and nursed 4 kids, so, for sure, I'm dealing with extra skin...but, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. It's a sucky side effect, but, one that you definitely have to be aware of before making a decision for surgery. My philosophy was....I'd rather have some extra skin than continue the battle of all that weight.

Slow and steady weightloss is the key, that and hydration...aside from that-it's in your genes.

Best wishes to you on your journey, your doing great.
  • diazwoman
    diazwoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    youth is in your favor, genetics play a role but truthfully it is easier to hide loose skin than rolls of fat. No one ever died from
    loose skin related complications but they sure do from obesity related complications. So I will take my chances with the loose skin
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and had a c-section in August 2006, and have lost almost 100 lbs from my VSG. I have yuck batwings under my arms and loose skin on my upper thighs and belly, but it's not horrific or anything. I am still losing and starting to do better at working out/toning, so I don't know what the final outcome will be. Certainly not enough to make me want plastics, but everyone is different. There are a lot of plastic surgery threads on some of the obesityhelp groups.
  • ohgerard
    ohgerard Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 (as of today!) and 2 months post-op. My entire life I have been overweight. I do not/cannot use weights. I am almost 50lbs down and have some sagging already in my inner thighs, and abdomen above where I had a cesarean 2 years ago.
    I have saddle bags just under my hips too. I'm quite certain we will be handing over a large check to the plastic surgeon for the body lift. :ohwell:
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and have lost 147 pounds since having my VSG. I would like to lose about 20 more pounds still. I started at 325 pounds. Yes I have loose skin. My worst is my arms. I mean I can cover the belly and inner thighs with clothes and wear a good bra to support the deflated saggy girls, but the batwings make me not want to wear tanks this summer. I mean I didn't wear tanks when I was heavy but now that I am thinner I want to be able to. If I were to opt for plastic surgery (provided I had the money), I would go ahead and have the body lift and boob job too. But for now I am just living with it. Better the saggy skin than the excess weight. :) As I like to say, "I look pretty damn good with my clothes on!" lol