annoying comments ppl make to pregnant women!

Options
laurab1217
laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
Does anyone have any stories about people making rude/annoying comments to them in public about their size, their belly, or weight gain?

I think it will make me feel better if I share my story from today and hear some of yours!

So I was at Wal-Mart today picking up a few things, and the lady at the cash register says to me, "How's that little girl doing?" And I said "Um, actually he's a boy." And she says to me, "It don't look like it! You've just gained weight all over haven't you?" Then started rambling about how big I was and insisting that I was having a girl....I ignored the stab at my weight and said, "No, he's definitely a boy...." The woman even insisted that I show her my belly button to prove her point! Which I definitely did not do and just decided to ignore her. My grandmother was with me so I was thinking I didn't want to snap at the lady in front of her, but then by the time we got to the car and were driving away I was so mad and worked up that I almost went back and told the lady, well, you're twice my size and your belly is twice as big, and you're not even pregnant. But I decided not to.....but definitely should have said something in the moment. It is so annoying how people think they can make all kind of comments to pregnant women and hurt their feelings and think it's ok! I'm 5'7" and I started out at 125-130 lbs and right now I am 26 weeks and have gained 12 pounds so far, which is by no means an extreme amount that calls for comments, so her comment didn't even make sense...I've been told it's all gone to my belly and my breasts. But even if I had gained a ton of weight by now, that doesn't give anyone the right to say anything!

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    One of our staff, who knows I don't like comments on my body, made a comment yesterday that my belly was especially round. (I'm 24 weeks.) Then she backpedaled and said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I know you don't like comments on your body, but it's just very round today."

Honey, you should have stopped after "you don't like comments on your body" - adding on that last part like you couldn't help but say it again added insult to injury.

I just ignored it and continued on with what I was telling her (because she interrupted my telling her something business-related for this friendly little outburst). I didn't react at all and was all business, which may have made my point, since I am generally pretty friendly around the office.

As for that Wal-Mart cashier, WOW. Even with my grandmother present, in response to her "You've gained weight all over," I'd have said, "Wow, thanks for that. I feel so good now."
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The other day a co-worker that I don't see very often came up to me and said, "wow you're so big already! That's gonna be one big baby." I'm 18 weeks and hardly even have a bump. Anyway, even if I had gained 30 pounds already there is no need to comment on my size/weight! I think it is so rude for people to ask personal questions like how much weitght you've gained.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is so annoying!!! How would your co-worker feel if you walked in every day and evaluated her body?! Some people just don't think and maybe others try to intentionally make comments that put another person down so they can make themselves feel better. It's like people stop seeing you as a person and just stare at your belly!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have a great one to add and it just happened to me about an hour ago. A lady I know saw me and asked me how I am feeling. She was smiling and being nice so I said "not too bad..." Then she asked "you're having a girl aren't you?" When i said yes she said "you can tell by your face you look so different. They say with boys women get prettier and with girls they get ugly." Um.... thanks???
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps insisting I'm having a girl - I'm over 38 weeks with a boy and at EVERY ultrasound I am able to see he is all boy (I have a lot because I am high risk). I've had people ask me and when I tell them he's a boy, they ask if I'm sure. HELLO, yes I am sure and given that I'm about to give birth any day now I'll be extra sure here soon! People are so inconsiderate and stupid sometimes, it never fails to amaze me.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some of the comments you guys have gotten! I've been lucky so far :) One thing I hate is when people touch my belly.. I feel really uncofortable when they do that. I don't show much yet so don't have that problem yet either..
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand the somehow compelling need for people to say, "Look how big you've gotten" every time they see me. I look in the mirror on a daily basis, jackwagon.
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My hubby works/lives out of town Mon - Fri EVERY weekend when he comes home he says 'You get bigger and bigger every time I see you." Insert punch in face. No S*** Sherlock!:explode:
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get all of those comments too. I'm 35 weeks and now everyone keeps saying 'almost there'! Not quite, I still have 5 weeks left dumb *kitten*. My own sister says "wow, look how huge you are! You belly is really out there." ugh!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My husband brought home a sweater from work the other day (promotional stuff they give away) and he's like here Hunny I brought you this it should be warm and cozy and fit you good. It was a men's Xl. So yeah ouch lol. I may be carrying really far forward but it's not like I've packed on 50 pounds ya jerk...
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I met my mom this morning and she was like, "Oh! Look at your poor skin! You're all broken out. Is that from the hormones?" Yes. And thanks for pointing it out to me, in front of your entire office. Like I didn't already know. Like I'm not self conscious about it already.

It is so irritating that people think they can just blurt out whatever comes to their mind. On a regular day that would never be ok, but for some reason because you're pregnant people think it's ok to point out your every flaw. A-holes!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I met my mom this morning and she was like, "Oh! Look at your poor skin! You're all broken out. Is that from the hormones?" Yes. And thanks for pointing it out to me, in front of your entire office. Like I didn't already know. Like I'm not self conscious about it already.

Some people just need a dunce cap. This is not pregnancy-related, but when I was a senior in high school, I went to Mexico on spring break (with my parents, not like a crazy drinking fest), and we went to this nature preserve where sunscreen was not allowed (it damages the coral). I tried not to get too much sun, but I ended up getting a bad sunburn on my forehead. It peeled horribly and was all pink/red, and it was really embarrassing to go back to school with. People were generally pretty nice about it, though, I guess because I had a sense of humor about it. Then I saw one of my good friends' mothers, who gasped when she saw me and said, "You look like you were in a fire!"

Gee, thanks, lady. I 't have enough insecurity as a 16-year-old without your adding to it. I later told my mom in passing about it, and her comment was, "An *adult* said this to you?"
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    "You've really popped out!!!" <--- got that Sunday. But it wasn't neeaarrrllly as bad as one of the men at our church (he's really a jester and makes a lot of jokes). He was making fun of my waddle. *rolls eyes* - I don't mind the "belly popping out" comments (at least it's specifically related to my belly and not the rest of my size), but the waddle comments...I can do without. Walking is enough of a chore as it is at this point.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    "You've really popped out!!!" <--- got that Sunday. But it wasn't neeaarrrllly as bad as one of the men at our church (he's really a jester and makes a lot of jokes). He was making fun of my waddle. *rolls eyes* - I don't mind the "belly popping out" comments (at least it's specifically related to my belly and not the rest of my size), but the waddle comments...I can do without. Walking is enough of a chore as it is at this point.

Wow, that is so rude! I wonder sometimes if it would just be better to be blunt and say, as nicely as possible, that you found that comment extremely insulting and would prefer that s/he refrain from making such comments in the future. I think some people think they're being funny and that they're not being hurtful or annoying.