Push - Ups ?!?!

Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
I'm curious how many tall women can easily do push-ups? (OR not "easily", but do them AT ALL?!) Or who can't?

I find it so hard and started thinking about the physics of it and looked it up. I found an article that confirmed that push-ups are harder for tall people and harder for people who carry their weight around their middle vs. hips/thighs. In push-ups, your body becomes a lever and the further out the center of gravity (weight), the harder it is to push it up. Plus, long arms, mean you have farther to go. I'm "only" 5' 8.5", but, my proportions are such, that I have long, thin arms and long legs and carry my weight around my waist (so, not "apple" shaped...but wine goblet shaped). So, my long, scrawny arms are trying to torque all that weight up. I don't know if I'll EVER be able to do real push-ups!! (Do you have any idea how much I wish Jillian Michaels would just have to do all those push-up and plank moves as a TALL person for once?!!! :laugh: )

It would really make me feel better if I wasn't the only one. Anyone?

Or those who CAN: any tips?!

Thanks!!

Replies

• jendorf44
    jendorf44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 6'2" and have never been able to do push ups, I even did all 90 days of p90x last summer! So I do what I can doing 'girl' push ups. (I also played HS volleyball and couldn't serve overhand - no upper body strength)
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I'm 5' 9.5" and I can do push ups without a problem, though it took me a while before they got easier. My only tip is to start with just a few and add on more as you're able to. And do it regularly - it's much easier to increase your numbers if you're doing them 3-5 times a week than if you're only doing them sporadically. Planks and push ups are a regular part of my post-running routine.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm still on "girl" push ups, but I'm working up to it. I've never been able to do it, but I'm determined to get there. I've known several tall girls who can, so I see no reason I can't.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    So there's hope!

Cindy, thanks for the tips. I tend to agree that doing them daily is key (and losing body weight and esp. belly weight, for me). I'm currently doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped In 30, so I am definitely doing them everyday. But I do them on the side of the couch arm, on my toes. I'm hoping to work my way down to lower and lower assisting surfaces, until I'm on the floor on my toes.

Everyone else, thanks for sharing. I was starting to think I'm the only person who doesn't just pump out a dozen push-ups at will.
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I read something that makes a lot of sense to me and I'm working on it now (because pushups have always eluded me)...

Apparently if you start with girl pushups you're doing yourself a bit of a disservice - it's harder to graduate to "real" pushups. So - what you do is start your pushups with your hands on something high - a wall, or - in my case - the kitchen counter. Once you can do 5 of those easily, move to something a little lower. I moved to my dining room table. Once you can do 5 of those easily then move a little lower - I'm currently doing pushups on my fireplace hearth about 18 inches off the floor. I THINK that the next step will be the floor - woohoo!
  • erinkelly77
    Options
    I never even thought of modifying my push ups that way. I wll try that from now on!
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I read something that makes a lot of sense to me and I'm working on it now (because pushups have always eluded me)...

Apparently if you start with girl pushups you're doing yourself a bit of a disservice - it's harder to graduate to "real" pushups. So - what you do is start your pushups with your hands on something high - a wall, or - in my case - the kitchen counter. Once you can do 5 of those easily, move to something a little lower. I moved to my dining room table. Once you can do 5 of those easily then move a little lower - I'm currently doing pushups on my fireplace hearth about 18 inches off the floor. I THINK that the next step will be the floor - woohoo!

I will be trying this, thanks!
  • I3ernadette
    I3ernadette Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    part of the problem with a lot of tall women is how narrow their shoulders are relative to the length of their arms. try putting your hands further out and don't worry about getting nose down to the ground - as you get stronger, your positioning will naturally start feeling a little weird and you'll move yourself back into alignment. also, starting with your feet spread - and i mean really spread, like a yard or so apart - makes it easier to stabilize yourself when you're just starting out.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    part of the problem with a lot of tall women is how narrow their shoulders are relative to the length of their arms. try putting your hands further out and don't worry about getting nose down to the ground - as you get stronger, your positioning will naturally start feeling a little weird and you'll move yourself back into alignment. also, starting with your feet spread - and i mean really spread, like a yard or so apart - makes it easier to stabilize yourself when you're just starting out.

Thank you for these GREAT tips!! A definite difference!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have a strength and conditioning coach who confirmed getting technique right for me is actually harder, mainly because I'm all limbs and v little body squats, push ups are harder, he started me pushing off a bar around/ just above waist height, upped that to wearing a 5then 10 kg vest then pushups from knees, then just lowering myself to the floor, now I can do 20 decent pushups with decent depth (boobs near to floor) this was in conjunction with lots of core work, planks, plank walk ups, roll outs etc but I'm v pleased its worked
  • skykitten
    Options
    I started by attampting just 1 push up once a day. Not a real chest to the ground type, just a kinda bend your arms a bit type. I can now do proper press ups (Insanity has helped!). The key is doing it every day, and try and go a little lower, and then when you've got a little lower, do two. Then lower still, then do 3 etc. etc. My friend is a personal trainer and she suggested this approach. It defo worked for me.

I'm the kind of tall girl that's quite rangy and I'd never had much upper body strength and I just thought, 'oh I'll never be able to so push ups' which is clearly nonsense as there was nothing wrong with me physically, I was just lazy and didn't give it priority or importance. When I started to focus on it, I found that actually not only does my toned upper body look better than a skinny/bony upper body but actually I'm quite strong! Nice!

Take small steps and make each one an achievement. Even 1 dainty, facereddening, sweat inducing, barely-there push up is 100% improvement on no push ups at all. :-)
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    So there's hope!

Cindy, thanks for the tips. I tend to agree that doing them daily is key (and losing body weight and esp. belly weight, for me). I'm currently doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped In 30, so I am definitely doing them everyday. But I do them on the side of the couch arm, on my toes. I'm hoping to work my way down to lower and lower assisting surfaces, until I'm on the floor on my toes.

Everyone else, thanks for sharing. I was starting to think I'm the only person who doesn't just pump out a dozen push-ups at will.

You can DEFINITELY do push ups, eventually, even if they're harder (which means they're doing you more good per set! Win!). I spent most of my life believing I couldn't build upper body strength, and was astonished to discover when I started regular training that I can, in fact, develop muscles in my upper body.

Lots of people knock push-ups on your knees, but they can actually be a great tool if you're doing them properly. The trick is to keep your back flat, your butt down and in line with your back and knees, and to drop your shoulders so you're not hunched at the top. You're operating as a lever, and the mechanics are the same whether you're using your feet or your knees as a fulcrum.

It should look like this: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT72KAlSl8FI2fcVtCLuJQLpT61bDaaKeI9IR7n29bSwJ7LKq0usQ
    Never, never, never like this: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6L-RARHPIsKc857buDjoKuX20se8pX5uoUA7aZtsZwSql1seylQ

Focus on keeping your body low, and squeezing your shoulder blades back and together. It will help you engage your lats and keep from hunching your shoulders. It will also probably be more difficult, and if the best you can do is to hold it at the bottom, then start with that until you're strong enough to start pushing. The point is that you CAN achieve a push-up, it just might be more challenging for you than it is for the girl next to you. That's okay. Focus on proper form and good control. It will serve you better in the long-run, I promise.

The other thing I would say is that doing them on your knuckles instead of on flat hands can be a huge help. It's challenging at first, but it will rapidly strengthen (and hence, protect) your wrists, and it's worth the initial awkwardness.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

Lots of people knock push-ups on your knees, but they can actually be a great tool if you're doing them properly. The trick is to keep your back flat, your butt down and in line with your back and knees, and to drop your shoulders so you're not hunched at the top. You're operating as a lever, and the mechanics are the same whether you're using your feet or your knees as a fulcrum.

It should look like this: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT72KAlSl8FI2fcVtCLuJQLpT61bDaaKeI9IR7n29bSwJ7LKq0usQ

Wow, that picture changes EVERYTHING! Tried it according to the picture and your description, and now I can totally see how doing them on the knees can help build strength to be able to do the real thing!! On the knees always felt like a big waste until I tried it just now, like the picture. Wow, thanks!!

I know I just need to do more and more and more every day and to be careful about form and I'll get it.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I'm liking your thinking.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    A year ago I could only do 3 push-ups on my knees. By the end of the 100 push-ups program, stopping all push-ups on my knees (and instead starting out by modifying by doing arms elevated push-ups to start), heavy lifting, and completing NROLFA I can do ~25 push-ups on my toes without stopping and around 70 if I break them into sets of 15 and rest for 30 sec between each set.

ETA: I'm 5'11" and 169-174 lb.