How do you know when you've found that one?

Options
Not the husband to be, that was easy! How do you know when you've found the right dress?

I've had a look in several bridal boutiques and have found 2 favourites, but I'm just not sure.

Replies

• stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I knew it was the one because it was the one where I felt, gorgeous and grown up. Which is what i was looking for. I loved it and I did like other ones but I couldn't really picture myself in them.
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had a few things that I ideally wanted in a dress, but figured i wouldnt find them all in the same dress. I knew it was my dress though because it had all those things in it! and it was only slightly more than i wanted to spend.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I went dress shopping with the basic idea of what I wanted, but was very open. And there is no better way to describe it, but you just get..."that feeling." You'll know when you feel it. It's your wedding day, don't settle. I got the feeling with the first dress I put on. I knew because I tried on 6 different dresses after that and compared all of them to that one:love:
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's true I had "that" feeling. Hard to explain but I do warn you not to try on over your budget. I did and I ended up buying over my budget because I had that feeling but was fighting with the cost in my head.

The one thing I did was try on 6 dresses with all different fits and styles to know what I actually liked/felt good in. Funny was that I ended up with exactly what I wanted and described to the shop owner.
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I went into the shop with no idea what I wanted, so we just started pulling totally different dresses and trying them. I pointed out exactly what I liked and didn't like about the dress, then we moved onto the next. I don't know how many dresses I tried on, but when I got to 'the one' I pointed out what I liked and didn't like and we moved on. During the next 2 dresses I couldn't find things I liked, because I was still thinking about 'the one' and comparing all the new dresses to it. That's when I knew.

One thing the sales lady pointed out was that I'm not shopping to shop and try on pretty clothes. I'm shopping to buy the right dress and move on to the next thing on the to do list. That helped me make the decision.
  • Chocolate_Queen
    Chocolate_Queen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've now found my 'one'! After I tried it on I kept comparing other dresses to it. I can't wait to wear it on our wedding day. She's called Jessica.
  • Keeshamedina96
    Keeshamedina96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Haha, I want to name mine now! I knew it was "the one" because I couldn't stop looking at myself in it! Especially the back! And everybody that I show the pictures to says "Wow, I love the back" and I'm like "Yep that's what sold it!"
  • Vargievarg
    Vargievarg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I ended up loving 2 dresses, but one just felt like the perfect one to marry my fiancé in. It matches our relationship and the theme of our wedding.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    When I started thinking about what I wanted my dress to look like, I had a black evening gown that I adored and basically just wanted it in white. So I searched for dresses by the same designer and found exactly what I had been looking for.

But the moment I knew it was "the one" was when I came home from my trial appointment with my hair & makeup stylist (still all done up), put on the dress, shoes and accessories and looked in the mirror. That was when I really felt like a bride, and I got all teary like those fools on "Say Yes to the Dress" that I always make fun of.

When even a snarky un-princess like me cries when she puts on her dress, it's the one.
  • rahholland
    rahholland Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My mom actually picked out my dress and I love it! I already knew some elements that I wanted and this dress had them all. My mom got emotional when I tried it one and plus it fit! I could not say no!
  • Thinknight
    Thinknight Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went for a couple of fittings in different places - always shop around! On the second day of about seven in total i tried on my now wedding dress. I knew it was the one because I kept refering to it as I tried on other dresses...ie: its nice but its not like the other one in that there is X& Y etc. I was between two and my maid of honour was there and she said the look on my face when I was wearing the one made it very clear. Im not girly, i dont do dresses but yeah...a smile from ear to ear! I took my mum to see it (flew her from ireland to australia!!!) and she said if she was getting married again tomorrow she would have picked that one too.

So my advice...look at your face! there is a certain giddy-ness that I got when I was wearing it that I didnt get with the others.
    Best of luck! :happy:
  • jleppard1
    Options
    I had tons of magazine clippings and knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted a sheath type dress with a halter top, and it had to be white lace. I absolutely did not want ivory, strapless, buttons, anything that looked like a big dress, no princess gowns, etc. I tried on a dress that was almost exactly what I had in my mind and it was terrible on me. I agreed to try on other styles and went with what I was sure I didn't want. My dress is from the Vera Wang White collection and its an ivory, strapless, button down back, mermaid dress and not lace (not sure what the fabric is called). As soon as I put it on I felt like a million dollars. It hugs in all the right places. My friend was taking pics of me in every gown and you can tell in the pics by my face. My mom instantly started crying and my face is beaming.... it was really crazy because I had looked online with my fiance to get a slight idea of what he liked and his top 3 favourite dresses out of hundreds included the dress I ended up buying!