Adding weight to bench press?

Options
LottieLou13
LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
I've set the app on my phone to 1kg but at my gym the lowest plates are 1.25kg. The last time (and first) I added weight I went from 20kg (just the bar) to 22.5kg. These were so so hard it too me 3 goes to get to 5x5. On Friday I should be ready to go add weight again.

Question...
I really don't think I'm going to be able to manage 25kg.....so should I go for more reps at 22.5kg? If so how many reps should I go to before I attempt some reps at 25kg? Maybe add 1 rep each set? Or add more sets of 5 reps? Or just go for the 25kg and even if I only complete 1 rep per set take that?

Replies

• faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I hunted around and found little 500 gram plates at my gym, so I can only go up 1 kilo if required. Maybe Ask your gym if they have them.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I hunted around and found little 500 gram plates at my gym, so I can only go up 1 kilo if required. Maybe Ask your gym if they have them.

No they don't have them :frown: The actual weight room is pretty small compared to the rest of the gym (weight machines and cardio stuff) :frown:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of fractional weights from online that have been a big help for me. the set includes
    2 x .25 kilo
    2 x .5 kilo
    2 x .75 kilo
    2 x 1 kilo

You can get them in pounds also I could only get them for an oly bar which i dont have but i just put them in between 2 other plates.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I can't buy the small plates (my gym has non standard bars)
    so on OHP and bench I go up to 8 reps -
    if I can complete 3*8 (I'm doing 3*5 not 5*5) I can usually do 3-4 reps on the higher weight
    for Squat and Deads I up the weight after completing 3*5 and 1*5