I'm weak - anyone else?

Options
osualex
osualex Posts: 409 Member
I'm trying to follow the program, but for some lifts, I am just too weak to add 2.5 kilos every time! I'm where I'm supposed to be for overhead press and deadlifts, a little behind for squats ( I wanted to get perfect form and it took me a while to figure out the weight of the bar), 2.5 kilos behind for barbell rows - I was supposed to add 2.5 kilos today, but I did one set ( with sh*tty form ) and realized I needed to drop down to last week's weight.

My real problem is the bench press. I've always had a weak upper body and I can only lift about 15 kilos 5x5. I'm hoping to get up to 17.5 next week. Any suggestions for some accessory lifts that will help me get up to where I'm supposed to be?

Replies

• osualex
    Options
    Man, am I really the only weakling out there :sad:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build strength. Some things to consider are....are you eating enough? Are you resting well? Are you drinking enough fluids?

Good strength builders are bodyweight exercises like push ups. I always do pushups, pullups and lunges and things as well as my normal heavy weights...if you can do a few good pushups with good form, your pecs, shoulders and back get stronger too. Well it worked for me...
  • osualex
    Options
    Good idea! I just started the one hundred push ups program tonight...I've never been good at push ups and I want to finally be good at them!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I still can't do a floor push up. My bench is improving, but it's going to have to get a ton better considering how much I weigh...
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I repeated my last good weight, adding a rep or two to each set, then found the next time I could do the next weight up (30lbs->35lbs BP was my bug bear last month). You may also want to look into fractional plates - a lot of the ladies here have them, as they let you add as little as 1lb (0.5kg) to the bar at a time.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I just started last night with my first set. I've been doing squats in the squate rack but not all the way down (*kitten* to grass). SO I lowered my weight to 40lbs last night and did it all *kitten* to grass. First time bench pressing and I did it in the rack and did 35lbs. I was like all RAWR!!!..even though I know 35lbs is tiny. But then I went to do the barbell row...I've been doing deadlifts with 50lbs...but I couldn't manage more than 10lbs on the barbell row...and even then I wasn't getting the shoulder blades pinched together...WTF???

So anyway, I'll just keep building I'm not going to get hurt so...I'll build. I have to review Workout B and go check out some videos to make sure I know how to do it right.

Anyone else have something similar happen with the barbell lift when they started?
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that the recommended stronglift weights are for men, not women. The whole SL was designed for men. I myself have started out light with weights and am concentrating more on conditioning and proper form. I try to add weight and if I feel like its too heavy, I back off. I still can't do squats with a bar. Not even with a broom handle. I practice with one but can't do 5x5 yet. I want to build strength with proper form so when I am ready to add more weight, I have a strong core to handle it and with proper form. Just keep working at it and don't worry if you can't add as much weight as the "guidelines" say you should.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Man, am I really the only weakling out there :sad:

Certainly not. I'm doing Starting Strength and right now my 45lb bar without weights is kicking my tail.

It's ok though because I know that if I stick with it, I'm going to return the favor before I know it!

Did someone say pushups??? Hahahahahahahaha. No. That's not happening. I can barely do those on my knees. LOL I can hold a plank for like a minute though. #smallachievements