I need to do a pull up! Fast!

Options
TheKitsune6
TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
So within a month I need to be able to do a pull up.

I already do some strength training with free weights and body weight exercises. What can I focus on to expedite the process to be able to do one full pull up in the next three to four weeks or so? I'm using 8lb weights right now and will be upping that to 10lbs shortly. I'm not a weakling but I really want this done in time so any tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    http://greatist.com/fitness/i-want-to-do-a-pullup-022012/

Just got this in my email today. Maybe it will help. :)
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Pull ups is a body weight exercise. The easiest way to increase them is to decrease your body weight. (BF% obviously)

Also, try negatives and the lat pulldown machine. A negative is, stand on something in front of the bar, get yourself to the top (cheating) and slowly lower yourself down.

Good luck!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Do you have an assisted pull-up/dip machine at your gym?

That's really helped me!

Also agree with Zach about the lat pulldown. It's amazing what that will do for you, too!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Do lat pull downs and dumbell rows.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I do not have a gym membership. I own my own free weights and my roommate has a pull up bar.

Also, Zach, yes the goal is to ultimately get my body weight down but I think it's easier to increase strength in 3 week than drop 20 pounds ;)
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm adding these to my planned routine :)
  • DonnaNCgirl
    Options
    So, just curious. Why do you NEED to do ONE pull up in one month?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Practice on a chair. Use your legs to support your weight, but simulate the pull up with your arms. Gradually use your arms/back to carry more weight, use one leg, and then none.

That's how I was told to do it at home, with pull up bar.

HOWEVER, I still can't!!! :laugh:

And I do believe that is because I'm too heavy for my strength!! I can do proper push ups but the pull up still eludes me! :ohwell:

Good Luck tho hun :flowerforyou:
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

It's related to a job I'm trying to get. One of the physical requirements is to be able to get yourself out of a zipline with no outside assistance which is equivalent to one pull up.
  • DonnaNCgirl
    Options

It's related to a job I'm trying to get. One of the physical requirements is to be able to get yourself out of a zipline with no outside assistance which is equivalent to one pull up.

I figured it was job related. Good luck. I'm sure, with determination, you'll have it done with time to spare. :smile:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cool job!

If you don't have access to an assisted pull up machine or lat pulldown bar, you can start with your roommates pull up bar by just hanging in the top of the pull up position for dear life as long as possible from every hour or so (during commercials?)

When I was in school, we had a pull up bar in the stairway. Every time I went past it, hung until my body slowly fell down. I started not being able to do 1, but after a couple months got up to 8 pullups (the max for our fit test).

Havne't done a proper pull up in 9 years (since surgery) but I'm working on it now at CrossFit and can do 3 with the Blue band. Hopefully I'll be able to do them on my own soon.
  • zachatta
    Options
    I do not have a gym membership. I own my own free weights and my roommate has a pull up bar.

Also, Zach, yes the goal is to ultimately get my body weight down but I think it's easier to increase strength in 3 week than drop 20 pounds ;)

lol, it really isn't but ok.

If you just want to get pull ups, just do negatives every other day

But no, it isn't easier to increase your strength with pull ups sorry, bodyweight trumps. But believe what you want.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

But no, it isn't easier to increase your strength with pull ups sorry, bodyweight trumps. But believe what you want.

Alright, tell me how I can drop 20lbs in three weeks in a healthy way.
  • zachatta
    Options

Well depending on your weight, you can drop 2-3 each week, which equates to 4-6, and that can make a world of difference with pull ups.

In reality you should have made more time to prepare for this, that would have been the better solution. However, make sure you are eating at a -500 deficit. (NO CHEATING) Also, again, negatives every other day. You should be able to crank out one.

Edit: FAIL: Thought you said 2, it is 3 weeks. Even better than 6-9 lbs drop.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Well depending on your weight, you can drop 2-3 each week, which equates to 4-6, and that can make a world of difference with pull ups.

In reality you should have made more time to prepare for this, that would have been the better solution. However, make sure you are eating at a -500 deficit. (NO CHEATING) Also, again, negatives every other day. You should be able to crank out one.

You are assuming an awful lot here.

1) I am eating at a deficit and I am already losing 2-3lbs per week.
    2) That's not 20lbs in three weeks. I have a time limit to complete this. Clearly developing strength and losing weight is not a mutually exclusive pair. What I need to focus on is developing the strength for a pull up in a time limit.
    3) Exactly how should I have prepared more for this when I didn't find out UNTIL TODAY that it was a requirement?

*Edited cause I got a bit b*tchy :/
  • zachatta
    Options

2) That's not 20lbs in three weeks. I have a time limit to complete this. Clearly developing strength and losing weight is not a mutually exclusive pair. What I need to focus on is developing the strength for a pull up in a time limit.
    3) Exactly how should I have prepared more for this when I didn't find out UNTIL TODAY that it was a requirement?

This arbitrary 20 lbs is irrelevant. The lighter you are the easier pull ups are. If you think I am lying I can get a vid of me doing weighted pull ups with a 25 lbs plate, then will you take my word for it?

To reiterate, just because you can't drop 20 lbs, DOESN'T mean you shouldn't drop the maximum amount of weight in order to prepare, which again is 6-9 lbs.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

This arbitrary 20 lbs is irrelevant. The lighter you are the easier pull ups are. If you think I am lying I can get a vid of me doing weighted pull ups with a 25 lbs plate, then will you take my word for it?

To reiterate, just because you can't drop 20 lbs, DOESN'T mean you shouldn't drop the maximum amount of weight in order to prepare, which again is 6-9 lbs.

Are you just... not paying attention?
  • zachatta
    Options

Are you a retard?

What does the number 20 lbs have to do with anything. This is an arbitrary number YOU selected. The lighter YOU are the EASIER pull ups are.

Even IF you are 9 lbs lighter, then pull ups will be easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO MAKE SURE YOUR DIET IS IN CHECK. (caps for mad status)

Stop being a butthurt crybaby when someone is trying to help YOU get YOUR job.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Are you a retard?

You two are freakin hilarious!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Are you a retard?

What does the number 20 lbs have to do with anything. This is an arbitrary number YOU selected. The lighter YOU are the EASIER pull ups are.

Even IF you are 9 lbs lighter, then pull ups will be easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO MAKE SURE YOUR DIET IS IN CHECK. (caps for mad status)

Stop being a butthurt crybaby when someone is trying to help YOU get YOUR job.

I get what you're doing, that whole tough love thing. But let me rehash this for you. I'll try and keep it simple.

I said: How do I do a pullup
    You said: "The easiest way to increase them is to decrease your body weight. "
    I said: Okay cool but I have a time limit so strength is P1since losing 20lbs in 3 weeks isn't doable (this is where I picked the arbitrary number that you are so confused with)
    You said: NO BODY WEIGHT IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT
    I said: Okay, so tell me how to lose 20lbs in three weeks.
    You said: Do blah blah blah.
    I said: Okay, I'm doing all of those things already, that's not 20lbs which is why my focus is on doing the pullup.
    You said: Yeah but you should still drop weight.

Then it got stupid.

Your answers are mostly untrue assumptions and judgements and largely unhelpful. Stop it. Fo' reals. You can do tough love and be a decent person at the same time.