Women with Big Manly Shoulders

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Ok guys...need advice...I posted this in my local CrossFit forum, but none of the ladies there really understand what I'm going through so I thought I'd ask you all. Please don't laugh too hard!!

I put on a jacket I hadn't worn in a few weeks and the shoulders were VERY tight. I lost 7 pounds last month, so I know CrossFit is working... but how can I keep getting stronger without buffing up my shoulders??? I'm already naturally built like a line backer... and would like to emphasize a more feminine shape. I know a lot of people think I shouldn’t worry about it, but I’m ALREADY too big for most women’s XL workout shirts. Nothing hurts like finishing a marathon and being too large for the biggest ladies finisher shirts, even though I have a great shape. I really want to get smaller, not bigger!! Do you have any suggestions on how I can adapt the WODs to achieve this goal?

Thanks! JJ

Replies

• littlehokie
    Options
    Hmm, were you ever a swimmer? My friend swam in college and is built like that, broad up top but narrow everywhere else. My shoulders are cut but I wear a small or medium in a shirt and am 5'10''. I don't think that having more muscles in that area is going to make it worse if it's the way you are naturally built...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I expect that your shoulders broaden a wee bit as you tone and get stronger. But, I seriously doubt that you are going to gain a huge amount of muscle, and develop Superman shoulders, by doing Crossfit. I have run -- serious hills -- and played soccer, and lifted in the gym at times, for years. And, I have not gotten big. Adolescent boys and men in their early 20s can pack on muscle with weight lifting. The rest of us? Not so much.
    Your shoulders are probably due to your frame as much, or more, than your muscle.
    You'll look so much better toned than flabby.
    Good luck ! And, go get 'em !
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Not a swimmer, but have always been an hourglass. I always have to get my jeans tailored, even with the contoured styles.

Someone told me that my shoulders and thighs will bulk up but that over time I'll begin to lose fat and things will go back down. I hope this is true, but I just want to make sure there's nothing I am doing to hinder myself. I've already got a drawer full of race shirts I can't wear, and it's not because I'm obese. Now my regular clothes are tight in the shoulders and chest and I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong.

Overall, I am happy with how I look, and I know I will never be a petite woman (I'm just not built that way). This shape I have would be awesome if it were just a bit smaller.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    ha, totally get you on the petite thing, there's nothing petite about being 5'10''.

I wouldn't worry too much, you look great and probably feel even better!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes. You do look great, by the way.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Embrace it. Defined shoulders are hawt
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Crossfit will just tone and strengthen what you already have. I powerlifted for 12 years and its shaping and rounding the shoulders. I still do my powerlifts 3 days a week and 3 days of crossfit. I'm losing BF as we speak from crossfit and its a better look for me. I agree the scupted look of the crossfit women is Hawt!

Z
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Thanks gang. I really do like *how* I look, I just hate still shopping in the big-mama stores. And I hate when I meet a guy from Match.com and the first thing he says is, “Gee, from your pictures I thought you’d be smaller.” My whole point is to lose size, not gain it!

But I’ll keep plugging, and we’ll see where I am in another 3 months.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks gang. I really do like *how* I look, I just hate still shopping in the big-mama stores. And I hate when I meet a guy from Match.com and the first thing he says is, “Gee, from your pictures I thought you’d be smaller.” My whole point is to lose size, not gain it!

You are small to me JJ. You're looking in the wrong places.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I don't know you, but you don't want that guy. Why spend effort on anyone dating if they don't dig how you look. I'm married but I didn't look for potential, I went for BAM!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

That man is a douche.

You'll get there, in fact, I haven't lost much weight in the past year of CrossFit, like maybe 5-10 lbs but I've lost at least a jeans size and can easily fit into jackets/tops that were tight in my arms and shoulders before. Your muscles are probably retaining water and also, like you mentioned, its just bodyfat that you have yet to shed and will eventually come off with patience and persistence. I struggle with the patience part a lot too!
  • JanieJack
    Options

I don't know you, but you don't want that guy. Why spend effort on anyone dating if they don't dig how you look. I'm married but I didn't look for potential, I went for BAM!

Well of course I don't want THAT guy, lol! Problem is, I get that a LOT. I post pictures of myself along side "normal" people but I suppose becaues I race and am very active guys just don't expect me to also be a size 14/16.

The right guy will be so broad himself that it won't matter, lol! He'll be thankful he finally found a woman who can handle all that. ha ha ha.
    You are small to me JJ. You're looking in the wrong places.

Thanks!!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Not a woman but anyway. I'd thought I'd be bigger and I sort of look bigger after lifitng weights again a few years ago. Lifts are all up now. But I've been eating at a slight deficit and have managed to lose about 15lbs over the last 3 years. Not earth shattering but I wasn't that over weight. 190lbs to 175lbs while lifing heavy. I can actually get into a medium size in some shirts now. Waist has gone from a tight 34 to a loose 33 or even a 32.

I probably "look" bigger as my waist size has slimmed but overall, I'd say I'm slight smaller as the fat comes off.

I'd give it more time. But I can sort of see how you would develope shoulders for all the overhead lifting X-fitters tend to do
  • JanieJack
    Options
    So I just compared my 1 month pictures for my local CrossFit fat-loss challenge (my 3rd total month in CrossFit) and I can definitely see why my jackets are fitting tight. I like the figure, just hopefully month 2 in this challenge will result in decreased size (with the same great figure).
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Embrace it. Defined shoulders are hawt
    Yep!