11 General Orders

Options
Tempe729
Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
Okay I've been having a hell of a time remembering the 11 General Orders... in order... Generally I'm good at memorizing things (years of band, choir & drama behind me!) but for some reason I'm having problems... but I found this and thought I'd pass it on!

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205

Hopefully this "dummy-version" helps it stick in my head :ohwell:

Replies

• hrls83
    hrls83 Posts: 46
    Options
    i learned them in order, but I also made a point to remember the # and the first 3 words to that # as they all start differently... i still have work to do on them but pretty much know them
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't matter if you know them all now. You'll have so much time to learn them in boot camp, and most people brain dump them right after. Not me of course, four+ years in and I still know my 12 general orders ;)
  • Tempe729
    Options
    Haha! Maybe that's my problem... I'm very much a last-minute crammer.. always have been. Maybe I'll wait till the last minute as usual :tongue:
  • Tempe729
    Options
    Then I'll actually be able to memorize them!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Yeah. Really what you should focus on is running, especially if you aren't great at it.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I'm good on the running... I'm to the point where I'm working on running at a constant speed for longer periods of time. My 1.5 mile-run is still holding strong around 12.5-13 minutes. Definently need to buy new running shoes though haha!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    You can never be too good on the running.
  • daniellesease
    daniellesease Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just an idea I want to throw out your way...
    I wanted help learning the general orders and other information regarding bootcamp knowledge, so I searched my app store for my phone. I found an application by Gregory Pothier called U.S. Navy Boot Camp. It has really helped out lot! I am a strong believer in working hard before joining the service. This is so I can spend my time in basic learning vital information and not having to worry about focusing on everything else all at once.
    I really hope this app can help you as much as it has and is helping me. Btw, it is free! :bigsmile:
  • Tempe729
    Options
    Just an idea I want to throw out your way...
    I wanted help learning the general orders and other information regarding bootcamp knowledge, so I searched my app store for my phone. I found an application by Gregory Pothier called U.S. Navy Boot Camp. It has really helped out lot! I am a strong believer in working hard before joining the service. This is so I can spend my time in basic learning vital information and not having to worry about focusing on everything else all at once.
    I really hope this app can help you as much as it has and is helping me. Btw, it is free! :bigsmile:

I will give it a look! I found a free app that lists all the Navy Creeds (even the MA one.. woot!) I'm trying to be prepared as I can before boot camp so I can focus on other things (been reading the Blue Jackets Manual cover to cover even)

Thank you Danielle! :drinker:
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    I learned by looking at myself in the mirror and pretending that it's my recruiter staring me in the face in a yelling angry expression telling me to answer Sentry Orders.

Also add in some pain that helps with memorization.

Every answer you get wrong you do push ups.

Trust me pain helps to remember many things.

Then again I'm hardcore.

:D
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I learned by looking at myself in the mirror and pretending that it's my recruiter staring me in the face in a yelling angry expression telling me to answer Sentry Orders.

Also add in some pain that helps with memorization.

Every answer you get wrong you do push ups.

Trust me pain helps to remember many things.

Then again I'm hardcore.

:D

That's actually a really good idea! :drinker:
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've always found writing things out long hand helps with remembering them. I can read something a hundred times and still have trouble with idedic recall but if I've put pen to paper I can usually get it verbatim.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Don't worry, plenty of time to write in Boot!
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I've always found writing things out long hand helps with remembering them. I can read something a hundred times and still have trouble with idedic recall but if I've put pen to paper I can usually get it verbatim.

Haha yeah... I've been going through the Blue Jacket's Manual, highlighting important parts as well as writing out notes.. Gotten 23 pages worth right now & only covered Navy Vocab, small portion of Navy history (12/23 pages).. honestly I only did a small portion lol & just starting on basic safety for guns, fire-fighting, etc.

Its tedious, but I'm definently retaining a lot of info!
  • samcorvus
    Options
    Haha yeah... I've been going through the Blue Jacket's Manual, highlighting important parts as well as writing out notes.. Gotten 23 pages worth right now & only covered Navy Vocab, small portion of Navy history (12/23 pages).. honestly I only did a small portion lol & just starting on basic safety for guns, fire-fighting, etc.

I meant physically copying it out by hand helps me. So basically I plan on hand writing the entire book including the illustrations. Something about doing that makes it click in my head.
  • Tempe729
    Options

I meant physically copying it out by hand helps me. So basically I plan on hand writing the entire book including the illustrations. Something about doing that makes it click in my head.

The whole thing? Yikes! I could never do that.. so Kudos to you! 650-pages.. yeah.. I'll stick to what I'm doing.. you're going to do awesome in the Navy though! :drinker:
  • samcorvus
    Options
    :smile: Paper work makes the world go 'round!

I'm reminded of a demotivational poster I saw about bureaucracy. It was a man atop an M1A1 handing his credentials to a security guard at a base check point.
  • jtoll203
    jtoll203 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful! Thank you for posting, I can never remember them when asked during inspections.