Colonoscopy, wonder if I'll lose weight?

Options
At that age where my doctor suggested a colonoscopy. I am actually not dreading it as I figure I might lose a little (I know, water weigth most likely) weight due to the prep.

Replies

• AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ugh thanks for the reminder, I need to see my MD and get one scheduled. I'm sure you'll lose some water weight temporarily. My sis said she slept near toiled. Something to look forward to : )
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be great if you did? :wink: I had one a couple of months back and didn't lose an ounce :huh:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's a good excuse for a nap. That's about it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be great if you did? :wink: I had one a couple of months back and didn't lose an ounce :huh:
    Ditto. I lost maybe a pound and then Bam it was right back.
    Hope the test goes well!
  • CricketsGirl
    CricketsGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No lasting weight loss for me but you certainly do feel empty after that prep. I had to travel so I stayed in a motel the day of the prep and was so glad to have the bathroom about 5 feet from the bed.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I didn't lose an ounce!!!!
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I did my prep on Sunday, for Mondays procedure . Checked the scale before leaving for the appointment and had lost 4 1/2 lbs.
    Today, down 3 1/2 lbs...Procedure itself, not too bad. But drinking that magnesium citrate is horrible!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It's a necessary evil, but if you do lose weight, it won't be permanent. But do it anyway - it may save your life!
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You're weight will drop according to the scale, but you won't lose anything. If you think about it, the scale is only going to show a lower number because you do not have any food in your stomach or intestines. Once you eat again, the scale will reflect that as well and you'll be right back to where you were before the colonoscopy.
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bad news.. Sorry to say your weight will not be affected by the colonoscopy or the prep. I have crohns and have had about 5 colonoscopys in the last 6 years. I highly suggest you drink you a sports drinks to keep from being dehydrated (without red dye). Plan nothing but trips to the bathroom the day of the clean out, I usually buy lots of magazines I usually don't want to spend money to make it less boring. :) I also suggest some personal wipes for that tender area, and by all means decent TP. This is not the time to use 1ply toilet paper!

Good luck, and may your scope show nothing of any concern.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I have to say that my doctor found 4 polyps. I had all of them removed and they were all benign, phew. Three of them were so small that the doctor wasn't even sure they were polyps!

This is no joke, don't put off a colonoscopy. What can be prevented or treated is so worth the prepping!

I started this thread as a sort of humor thing about the prep, but now I'm taking this subject way more seriously.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    VERY glad you had it done!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I have to say that my doctor found 4 polyps. I had all of them removed and they were all benign, phew. Three of them were so small that the doctor wasn't even sure they were polyps!

This is no joke, don't put off a colonoscopy. What can be prevented or treated is so worth the prepping!

I started this thread as a sort of humor thing about the prep, but now I'm taking this subject way more seriously.

So glad you went and I bet you don't even care what the scale says at the moment!