Seitan

elizabethis
elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
Anyone use Seitan? I've started making it and am really pleased with the taste, as well as its being relatively low in calories for the amount of protein (20 grams /about 120 calories). Just wondering if you have an interesting way of using it. I have basically just used it in stir fry so far.

Replies

• heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    I like it. I've made the seitan piccata from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone and it was awesome. I plan on eventually making some seitan from the veganomicon recipe and freezing it for use in recipes so that I don't have to do so much prep work in one day to make a seitan recipe. There's also a seitan barbecue ribz recipe I want to make, I think its from the Fat Free Vegan blog. I actually haven't used it in stir fry yet, maybe I'll keep that in mind to try sometime:)
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    I like it cut up with vegetables and a "gravy" served pot-pie style. Similarly, it also makes easy hand-pies.
  • elizabethis
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to be trying some out this winter.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    My favourite way with seitan is in a Thai green curry - coconut milk, green Thai curry paste, seitan and veggies of choice served with jasmine rice. Only takes about 15 minutes to make, simple and delicious. Use fat -reduced coconut milk if you're concerned about the cals.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Seitan is a great choice for mock "chicken wings" breaded, baked til crispy coated with barbque sauce...its a great treat!
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    check out the seitan 'sausage' @ everydaydish.tv :smile:
  • elizabethis
    check out the seitan 'sausage' @ everydaydish.tv :smile:

Am I right that you have to pay a $35 prescription to access the seitan recipes?
  • AshS1050
    AshS1050 Posts: 43 Member
    i want to start making this. i soo need the protein.
  • lazieats
    lazieats Posts: 185 Member
    I've been hunting for a great seitan recipe, as in to make the seitan itself. I'm down to two: Isa Chandra's (http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/homemade-seitan/) and one from vegweb.com (http://vegweb.com/recipes/easy-seitan). Anyone have experience/reviews of either of these? Or do you have a tried and true chicken-style recipe? TIA!:smile:
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    I had it last night but made it too tough / chewwy :-(

A book called The Vegan Diner has a great Ribz recipe. Seriously yummy!