New Disney Star Wars movies

Options
Just saw that Disney announced 2 new spin-offs in development: A young Han Solo movie and one centered around Boba Fett.
Thoughts?

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they are gonna do the trilogies about han solo and Boba fett
  • Dawmer299
    Options
    The Han and the Boba movie will be separate stand along films from the new Trilogy from my understanding. My first initial reaction was "Awesome, just take my money now" but after thinking about it... it could be bad. They will likely have to also do some other classic characters. If they start messing with what is already cannon in the films. Well, that just wont be pretty among the die hards. I'd much rather see the new movies focus around new characters and story lines. Id leave the classic stuff alone.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a bit prequel'd out. I think there's some magic to be made focusing on side stories or filling in the gaps between eps 4, 5, and 6... 'in-between-quels' as opposed to prequels and sequels. I don't know about you, but I found 'Lion King 1 and 1/2" and "Back to the Future 2" very entertaining! However, those were easier to execute because the former was animated and the latter was shot simultaneously with part 1. I'm sure the Disney Imagineers can figure out how to do it focusing on other characters.
  • bucketbott
    bucketbott Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I wish they wouldn't. I think it would be better to do movies about characters that haven't been off the screen for several decades. Harrison Ford is going to be impossible to replace, and I haven't heard of any good candidates to replace Billy Dee Williams yet either.

I was hoping for movies about Darth Bane and the rule of two. The Sith Era novels have been awesome! But I guess that's not going to happen :( Movies featuring Cade Skywalker would be cool too, since they take place so long after the original trilogy that recasting wouldn't be an issue. I absolutely hate it when a new actor tries to play an iconic character!
  • Dawmer299
    Options
    Corey Dee Williams (Billy's son) would make a fine young Lando. The look is definitively there by way of genetics but I guess it depends on his age. No idea how far back they want to go. I have no idea who they would get to play Han. That will be hard and I agree Ford is impossible to replace. For the Fett film, Temuera Morrison would be perfect since hes the right age and he fits into the story line since Boba was a clone of Jango.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I guess we'll see. So long as we don't get "Jar Jar the Jedi" or "The Disney Princesses Strike Back" then I'm trying (forcing myself) to wait and see.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I heard from one of my local Seattle radio stations that there is a rumored 3rd stand alone movie with Yoda being the main focus. His background story, etc etc
  • phoenixiam
    phoenixiam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If it is a good story line, well written and acted, it could work. Please leave don't have characters like jar jar binks, which make the whole film unwatchable.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's not new, but I think it was well thought out. Props to the author!

http://www.thevine.com.au/entertainment/movies/the-right-way-to-watch-star-wars/

How to deal with all existing SW movies
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I wish they wouldn't. I think it would be better to do movies about characters that haven't been off the screen for several decades. Harrison Ford is going to be impossible to replace, and I haven't heard of any good candidates to replace Billy Dee Williams yet either.

It may not be mean at all, but there was some speculation in this articule:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/who-should-play-young-han-solo-star-wars-standalone-movie
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Disney knows how to print money.

Couldn't be worse than the last three, really.

And people shovelled money at him for those.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The comic books and novels have been around for decades. I just hope that they choose a GOOD story to tell, with a good script, and a good director. I'm glad to see George Lucas stepping away from it all.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a bit prequel'd out. I think there's some magic to be made focusing on side stories or filling in the gaps between eps 4, 5, and 6... 'in-between-quels' as opposed to prequels and sequels. I don't know about you, but I found 'Lion King 1 and 1/2" and "Back to the Future 2" very entertaining! However, those were easier to execute because the former was animated and the latter was shot simultaneously with part 1. I'm sure the Disney Imagineers can figure out how to do it focusing on other characters.

I didn't see BTTF2 as a in-between-quel. And it wasn't shot at the same time as part 1. It was shot at the same time as part 3. That's why they had to change the actress who plays Jennifer and Crispin Glover didn't want to return.

As for the stand alone films, I'd have to hear more about them before I make a decision. The problem with those types of movies is that you already know the character survives.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have faith in Disney. They're capable of sending out some awesome stuff. Even the things that I wasn't stoked about (the new Tron movie for example) had some awesome things come from it (very shiny, great soundtrack).
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and don't forget the 4th Pirates of the Carribean movie! No.................wait...............
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and don't forget the 4th Pirates of the Carribean movie! No.................wait...............

Hahaha I did make sure to not say "Everything" they do, just that they're capable. I've been really impressed with what they've done with the Marvel universe :P
  • bucketbott
    bucketbott Posts: 28 Member
    Options

It may not be mean at all, but there was some speculation in this articule:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/who-should-play-young-han-solo-star-wars-standalone-movie

If Shia LaBeouf gets cast as Han Solo, I will rip my hair out.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't care if he's too old, Nathan Fillion needs to play Han Solo.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Works for me!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Works for me!

Nathan Fillion playing ANYTHING works for me!!