Books about running and marathons

Options
ZenInTexas
ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
I like to read. Any recommendations for good books about running and marathon training? I would like to know more about the science behind why certain things are recommended.

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Daniels' Running Formula is my go to book for science and methodology regarding endurance training. There is so much nonsense floating around the Internet under the guise of training advice. Reading this book has helped me tell the difference between sensible information and utter rubbish.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Here are a few recommendations
    Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
    Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels
    Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon: How to be Your Own Best Coach by Matt Fitzgerald & Brad Hudson
    Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger

This one is not really a training book but more an encyclopedia on everything running.
    Lore of Running by Dr. Timothy Noakes
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am biased as hell, but "Running with the Kenyans" is a great book...it's not scientific, but gives you a window into how no-tech runners are the very best long distance runners on the planet.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I am biased as hell, but "Running with the Kenyans" is a great book...it's not scientific, but gives you a window into how no-tech runners are the very best long distance runners on the planet.

yes! minimalism and simplicity! :smile:
  • linddavis
    Options
    I purchased "Complete Book of Running" by Burfoot. A lot of Half and Full Marathon training info... for beginners probably?
    It was good for me. I have also found Runners World Magazine really helpful and inspirational:wink:
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions guys!! I will check these out. Thanks!
  • dfquigley
    Options
    I liked Run Less Run Faster. While I run more than they prescribe, they have some really good workouts, and for a time crunched runner with some base, it might be a great strategy to employ.

Later in the season once I'm out of base training I might follow it more closely.
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love Jeff Galloway:)
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's 'Marathon' is my bible. The man is like 75 now, and when he turned 70 I believe he decided to run 7 marathons in 7 months to celebrate, so the man definitely has some knowledge to share.

I have a friend who loves 'Chi Running' by Danny Dreyer, that one focuses quite a bit on form r/t energy expenditure.

Happy reading :-)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Whoa guys ! Those are BORING textbook kinds of tomes. What about Christopher McDougall's Born to Run? That one is fun !

(I know. I know. She did ask for serious, informative books. But . . . there are interesting viewpoints in there.)
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you want a break from the sciencey stuff and just want to read nice, motivating things about running. Check out "Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run" by Kristin Armstrong. (Lance's ex). It's not rocket science but I liked it!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Whoa guys ! Those are BORING textbook kinds of tomes. What about Christopher McDougall's Born to Run? That one is fun !

(I know. I know. She did ask for serious, informative books. But . . . there are interesting viewpoints in there.)

Please be mindful of what other people are thinking and feeling. What to you is a "BORING tome," to others, may be pleasant and mindful reading. Different strokes for different folks.

Let's keep it positive.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I loved Born to Run, not completely technical but entertaining and very motivational!

I also recommend looking at nutrition for marathon running for that one Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners was a great investment!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump for later referral :smile:
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I loved Born to Run, not completely technical but entertaining and very motivational!

I also recommend looking at nutrition for marathon running for that one Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners was a great investment!
    The born to run book is a great book. If you want inspirational tomes as well I recommend The Long Run by Matthew Long and also Run to Overcome by Meb Keflezighi. They aren't about technical running but they are inspirational and will get you out the door to run and feel good about yourself no matter how fast or far you can run.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    "Healthy intelligent training" was quite good