Warm ups

Options
Hey all,
I started strong-lifts this week. The two days after doing squats, I only squatted the bar, my legs were killing me. Like painful. But I was happy because then I know it's a good workout. My question is this: Do you all warm up before lifting? If so what do you do?
Do you do warm up lifts?

Replies

• extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I think most of us do a couple of sets at lighter weights before the work sets.

For example, when it squat, I do a set of 5 with just the bar, then a set of 5 at 80% of my workset, then my sets.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    Ah o.k, thanks.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    its really important to do warm up lifts, especially as your progress and your lifts get pretty heavy. You have to let your body know whats coming :)
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...then what should the warm up be if I'm starting with the bar only? I'm starting tonight. WOuld a quick mile cardio run be enough?
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    A 5 minute walk on the treadmill and some body weight squats would be a good warm up.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ^ Yep! Agree.

Also, when you start bumping up in the weights, Medhi has a great article on Stronglifts with suggestions for warming up with sets:

http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A 5 minute walk on the treadmill and some body weight squats would be a good warm up.

You know what i actually decided to do the same thing from tomorrow. do body squats before my little bar squats. im also a newbie and out of all the things i have ever tried, this is probably the hardest, considering one needs to master form. Im terrified of my 1st overhead press and deadlift
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a general cardio warm-up. I tend to either do my full cardio first (and accept that I progress more slowly on both cardio and lifts than if I did one or the other) or I do 3-5 mins on a moderate resistance on the rowing machine since that's the quickest machine for me for an all-over warm-up. Then I do some warm-up sets (5 at the lowest weight, 3-5 at the next 3 at the final warm-up weight) and then my work sets.