losing my milk supply

Options
njayet
njayet Posts: 23 Member
Hi there, i have started working out doing the 30 day shred and going to the gym, i eat around 1800cals per day sometimes more sometimes abit less, i have been doing this for about 1-2 weeks now and i feel my milk supply has dropped.
my breasts seem to be a lot less full, i don't feel the milk let down as much and my baby seems to be getting angry on the breast sometimes.
He still has a lot of wet nappies though, i am not losing lots of weight either, but i may have gained muscle from strength training? what should i do? thanks

Replies

• volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How old is your little one? I think in your profile you had mentioned six months..my breasts started to feel less full around that time as my son had started solids and was drinking less..so my supply was reducing. Try giving him both breasts at each feed...and it might be a good idea to consult your doctor if you're really worried...

Good luck!
  • sheriann1271
    sheriann1271 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How old is he? Is he on any solids yet? I have a friend who swears that oatmeal helped her keep up her supply enough for twins. 1800 calories seems kind of low if you are nursing 100% and doing all that exersizing....does mfp have a way to calculate the correct calories for nursing moms?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Nursing my one-year-old lets me add 250 calories a day - I think a 6 month old is more like 500. It's easy to google.

I put off losing weight, though, until I would be ok if I lost my supply. There was a definite dip if I wasn't eating enough. You might want to just work on maintenance until you are ready to wean.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would check in with a breastfeeding support board like Kellymom.com they will be able to help you very much with your milk.

I would venture if he is making plenty of wet and dirty nappies that he in fact is getting plenty of milk and you are producing plenty of milk. I would aim for closer to 2,000 calories a day and drink plenty of water. He is most likley going through a growing spurt or some development.

Eat a little more, oh and also watch out for your time of the month it can cause a temp drop in supply that can be helped out with extra calcium magnesium supplement the week before and during.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ask la leche league for calorie info. they are the least likely to be influenced by any outside factors in coming up with their numbers. find "maizena" in your supermarket. it's a wives tale product but it's worth a try, people swear by it for that.
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is a 6 month growth spurt that occurs. Has he continued to be fussy?
  • shannonsumner92
    Options
    I had this problem and I told a lactation consultant and she said it happens! It doesnt mean there is no milk in there or less milk. This is actually when breastfeeding gets easier bc you dont have to deal with engorged or bulged breast. Your producing the amount of milk you always have but your breast just go back to the way they used to look and feel. TOTALLY normal. dont give up!
  • Twylashea
    Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I went through this also with my DD. It seemed that right around the time my body regulated milk supply and I was no longer engorged was also when she hit a growth spurt and started to want nurse more. There were some sessions where I would actually switch back and forth until she seemed totally satisfied (and experienced cracks and bleeding again ouch!). If your LO has hit any milestones early (crawling?), they can also get a little unsure of themselves and seek the breast more for comfort. Introduction of solid food can also send them seeking comfort even if they are totally excited to try it. Go with the flow. You're doing awesome momma!