Lent

Options
anyone getting spiritually ready for lent?

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yup. Check out the thread "Lent Coming Up Here" It's three topics down from this one on this board.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869439-lent-coming-up-here?page=1#posts-13246517

Some great ideas have been posted in this discussion. Welcome Rockstart P
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    zombie apocalypse preparation. no lie.

making ammo and archery target shooting will be part of the first friday devotions and I hope to attend every station of the cross friday nite devotion too.

God bless you all. prepare. remember the alamo.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This is such a great topic. I remember a priest once saying that "Lent is not a diet." I feel the truth of that....ideally, when we fast, we are offering it as a prayer and sacrifice for others. Such a countercultural idea!
    Deep down, I think my weight issues- with losing and regaining ARE a spiritual struggle, though. Just received my "Catholic Digest" magazine in the mail this week, and there are some great ideas that I need to seriously do! The ones that I thought were especially good were: "Find your Calcutta....suffering is often right in front of us, and we could relieve this suffering, if we see Christ in their faces". "Offer up the most hated chore you have and perform it with a cheerful heart". "Refrain from unpleasant, catty, or snarky comments." "Make a pilgrimage to a cemetery, cathedral, shrine, or basilica." "Make a calendar of daily sublimations..they can vary day to day...the idea was to specifically take up your cross daily." "Go to daily Mass at least one time a week.' and of course- "Give up any unhealthy habits (addictions) and spend time considering what those attachments are."
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was reading a reflection about Lent. It posed and answered a number of questions.
    What is Lent?
    Lent is preparation for Easter.
    What is Easter?
    Easter is the rising from the dead.
    So, Lent is preparation for rising from the dead.
    What parts of me are dead and need to be raised?
    What keeps me from opening up fully to the love of God?
    Is it a habit? a resentment? a loss that I haven't entrusted to God? my prayer life?
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts and suggestions y'all! I try to improve my relationship with God during Lent. I pray the rosary every day. I read the daily mass readings and The Word Among Us every day. I make sure I say grace before meals even when I'm not at home (don't know why I don't remember to say it when I'm out!). I write an inspirational message on the chalkboard in my classroom at least 3 times a week and try to live it and encourage my assistants to do the same. I attend Stations of the Cross as often as possible. I do these or similar things every year. And every year, at Easter, I say to myself, "Why should these things be saved for Lent? Why not continue?" And though my intentions are good, I taper off again. So that when Lent rolls around again, I feel like I'm starting over. But I also look so forward to strengthening that relationship again. I hope you all have a blessed Lenten season!
  • taschulz
    taschulz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your reflections. It is good to read and help me prepare for my own Lent. I sometimes struggle with it, I either set myself up for failure with too high expectations, or I avoid it. I pray everyone's Lent is a growing experience. God bless you.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lord, whatever I've decided to give up for Lent, let me use that small sacrifice to remind me of the continual self-denial you call me to. And most of all, let me remember the reason for your call to be able to participate in your divine life! ~Lenten Reflections
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Just read this:

St. Jude

Looking for something to give up for Lent?

Give up resentment and become more forgiving.
    Give up hatred and return good for evil.
    Give up complaining and be more grateful.
    Give up pessimism and become more hopeful.
    Give up worry and become more trusting.
    Give up anger and become more patient.
    Give up pettiness and become more noble.
    Give up gloom and become more joyful.
    Give up doubt and turn to God.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Just read this:

St. Jude

Looking for something to give up for Lent?

Give up resentment and become more forgiving.
    Give up hatred and return good for evil.
    Give up complaining and be more grateful.
    Give up pessimism and become more hopeful.
    Give up worry and become more trusting.
    Give up anger and become more patient.
    Give up pettiness and become more noble.
    Give up gloom and become more joyful.
    Give up doubt and turn to God.

I like that.