Having my first attack since joining MFP

Options
Hello My MS peeps!

So I woke up yesterday and felt like an attack was coming on. I struggled threw my usual Zumba workout and ended up only doing about 20 minuets worth with half the energy. I went on through the day barely. Today when I woke up I knew for sure that it was here. My arms were numb and I couldn't get out of bed for 15 mins. Needless to say all day I have been dragging along. Headachy, blurring vision, trouble walking and trouble typing this even. This is my first attack since joining MFP, my last was about 6 months ago. I basically pushed myself through today's workout, but by the time I was done I could hardly move.

Any tips on getting through this while still staying on track. This is exactly the time in which I would normally stay in bed or on the couch and stuff my face. Like many people, every attack brings on emotions and sometimes depression that can be hard to break through. I think I can just push through and just walk for my workouts but the eating part is what is going to get me. Any tips, good vibes, or just a good talking to would be appreciated!

Replies

• squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of getting lots of rest and taking good care of yourself when having an exacerbation. I feel like I need to give my body the tools it needs to heal and stop the attack. I do a lot of visualization and meditation. I don't know it there's any proven benefit, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something positive. Personally, I don't work out when I have an active attack, other than walking. I try and get in a nap if at all possible too. I think it's important to listen to your body when you have MS, and if you are too exhausted to work out, then find a way to modify it and use some other tools to get through the stress of the exacerbation (like journaling, meditation, etc.) I hope you get through this soon!
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ahh i am so sorry, having another attack is my biggest fear. Like the other poster i think rest is the key. My last one was four years ago. My course of treatment is usually solu-medrol it does give me short spurts of energy, but does not last long. I will be sending good thoughts your way for a speedy exacerbation. Try to eat healthy and get plenty of rest
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Sorry that sucks. I like the first responder would make sure you listen to your body and get the rest you need. I personally would say if you know you tend to eat more during your attacks switch your calorie goal to maitnence until you are better,that way you can eat more but not lose any ground. Try to eat as healthy as you can. I hope it passes quickly and you feel better soon!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm sorry you are having another attack.

Like everyone else I would recommend not pushing too hard - but do walk. You have to keep your muscles active while still giving your body time and the internal energy it needs to heal.

Something my pt counsellor said might come in handy She basically explained what is happening during an attack this way. She said that when the lesions are active and an attack is occuring your central nervous system has to slow down because the instructions it sends out run into these lesions and can't follow through like they normally would. She said that sometimes if you aren't over taxing yourself these functions will develop a new pathway and avoid the one with the lesion and you may not even notice the difference and that if you are really working hard and over compensating for the slow down then your central nervous system doesn't have enough UMPH to build new pathways and that is when you find yourself with noticeable symptoms.

This made perfect sense to me, having raised a child with epilepsy - they function the same way.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Remember it's OK to put your health first. Trust me the weight will still be there tomorrow. :laugh:
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. As the above posters have mentioned, I too from my experience would it be myself having an exacerbation, would rest. If I need more sleep, I would sleep. Continue to eat healthy and clean. Just basically pay attention to the signals your body is giving off and you will be okay. That's what has helped me the most is learning to read how I felt and when it was time to rest, go in for treatments (steroids, acupuncture, chiropractor, massage) and see my neurologist. Sending feel better vibes your way <3