Pregnancy Surprises

Options
I personally have been pregnant 4x and each pregnancy brings on a new experience. For example: I didn't know it was possible to sweat this much when all I'm doing is checking my FB and MFP. It's like I'm at the gym doing a full on workout 0_o

What surprises you about your pregnancy?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    This is my second pregnancy, and I don't remember being this tired the first time. Perhaps it's because I have a 2-year-old, but I was extremely tired during the first trimester, and nowadays I can't get enough sleep. I sleep from 10PMish to 6:15 or 6:30 (depending on whether or not I hit the snooze button), which is over 8 hours of sleep/night. Yet it hardly seems like enough!

Even though I wake up often during the night, I am trying to enjoy being able to go back to sleep immediately without having to do anything other than get comfortable, since I know once the baby comes I will hardly get any sleep, but I just can't seem to sleep enough!
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well this is my first pregnancy so there have been LOTS of surprises! Mostly, I never thought I would be THIS thirsty. I constantly feel like I am parched lol Also, I didn't think I would get out of breathe so easily by doing simple tasks (folding laundry, loading dishwasher, ect.)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The biggest surprise came after my son was born. I'm breastfeeding, and (apparently...according to my ob) breastfeeding can be like menopause. I'm used to always being a tad too cold. Now most of the time I feel a bit too warm. And at night, oh my God, I sweat so much. It's gross! Lol. But I'm getting used to it. I sometimes wonder if it's just me, because no one ever mentioned this before. My ob says it will decrease over time and stop when I wean the baby. Anyone else experience this?
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This is my first pregnancy, but I didn't expect the fatigue, the night sweats, or having to pee every 30 minutes. I also didn't know how hard it is to keep such a big secret from everyone while dealing with all these symptoms!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The biggest surprise came after my son was born. I'm breastfeeding, and (apparently...according to my ob) breastfeeding can be like menopause. I'm used to always being a tad too cold. Now most of the time I feel a bit too warm. And at night, oh my God, I sweat so much. It's gross! Lol. But I'm getting used to it. I sometimes wonder if it's just me, because no one ever mentioned this before. My ob says it will decrease over time and stop when I wean the baby. Anyone else experience this?

omg i could have written this myself. I am exclusively breastfeeding as well, hes almost 4 wks old. I am sweating during the night too and i smell like breastmilk all day long. LOL. I am more warm during the day as well. :))
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Yup, I had that happen to me. I am normally cold, but postpartum I was warm/hot all the time and got night sweats. That lasted for a few months after I stopped nursing/pumping, too. You do go back to normal, though, I promise!

ETA that I am not looking forward to this again because I am due in late May and live in SC where it is insanely hot and humid - and late May is well into summer for us! At least when my son was born, it was late January, so I could get some relief (some, since we have mild winters) just by going outside.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

Same thing happened to me!

I was a nighttime sweat machine. It was the worst in the first month PP, and has pretty much disappeared now at 4 months PP.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I'm a sweaty betty as well, its gross, but at least I'm toasty in the winter?

I'm surprised my middle belly has gone numb, nobody's ever told me about that before!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is my first pregnancy and there have been tons of surprises. I had no idea just how many parts of your body it affects which for me feels like every single one. What has surprised me most has been the stuffy nose and congestion, sciatica pain, carpel tunnel and shortness of breath. I feel like I was short of breath from the beginning which could have been caused by the congestion. :)
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Yup, I had that happen to me. I am normally cold, but postpartum I was warm/hot all the time and got night sweats. That lasted for a few months after I stopped nursing/pumping, too. You do go back to normal, though, I promise!

ETA that I am not looking forward to this again because I am due in late May and live in SC where it is insanely hot and humid - and late May is well into summer for us! At least when my son was born, it was late January, so I could get some relief (some, since we have mild winters) just by going outside.

I cannot tell you how reassuring this is!! I am still nursing my toddler and have been sweating every since the day I brought her home. Mostly at night, but it almost had me worried a few times.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is my first pregnancy so there's been a sharp learning curve. What surprised me most in early pregnancy was just how fast pregnancy affected my fitness. I had to work hard to work out and I found myself unable to keep up with my workout routine after about week 8. That really stressed me out because I always thought it was the weight gained during pregnancy that affected our fitness in pregnancy, not being pregnant itself. I feel like such a slacker for a while until I just accepted that I was doing as much as I could.

I'm almost 37 weeks now and what has surprised me during this last trimester has been the rib pain and the exhaustion. I can't breathe and even sitting all day at my desk is too much. Can't wait until maternity leave!