Thrive Diet

Options
SleepySin
SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
Had anyone else read or is reading the Thrive series of books by Brendan Brazier?

They're quite amazing.

I'm currently on this book -- Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life

Link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Thrive-Nutrition-Optimal-Performance-Sports/dp/0738212547/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360604115&sr=8-1&keywords=thrive

Quick summary: Thrive is a long-term eating plan to help all athletes (professional or not) develop a lean body, sharp mind, and everlasting energy. As one of the few professional athletes on a plant-based diet, Brendan Brazier researched and developed this easy-to-follow program to enhance his performance as an elite endurance competitor.

Brazier clearly describes the benefits of nutrient-rich foods in their natural state versus processed foods, and how to choose nutritionally efficient, stress-busting whole foods for maximum energy and health. Featuring a 12-week meal plan, over 100 allergen-free recipes with raw food options--including recipes for energy gels, sport drinks, and recovery foods--and a complementary exercise plan, The Thrive Diet is "an authoritative guide to outstanding performance" (Neal D. Barnard, M.D., Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine).

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes - he is inspirational and a great information source. I use his Vega protein powders. High quality ingredients (but expensive!)

I have a few of his books and have read parts of all of them. I tried a couple of his energy bar recipes, and they didn't come out well for me. I would be interested if anyone has any recommendations of any recipes of his they have tried with success.

I've also made my own energy drinks and goo for long runs in the past - I haven't yet compared what he recommends with what I've made in the past... I usually do some combination of dates, bananas, kelp, coconut water, etc.
  • SleepySin
    Options
    Yes - he is inspirational and a great information source. I use his Vega protein powders. High quality ingredients (but expensive!)

I have a few of his books and have read parts of all of them. I tried a couple of his energy bar recipes, and they didn't come out well for me. I would be interested if anyone has any recommendations of any recipes of his they have tried with success.

Agreed! I am so inspired by him! I've 'made' my own custom protein shake mixes on TrueNutrition.com as it is tons cheaper and I love tinkering with customizations.

The book I'm in the middle of provides recipes for his 12-Week Thrive Diet plan which I would love to do eventually. I'll be testing his recipes little by little even if I can't follow them 100% right now (the whole process of purging the fridge and pantries and getting the bf on board is going to be a trip in itself!). I'll try to post reviews of the recipes when I get around to them!
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just bought a tub of the Vanilla VegaOne Nutritional Shake today, as my doctor wants me to aim for 100g of protein per day for weight loss (based on my current weight and the amount I still have to lose till I can have surgery on my bad gut). I was struggling to even get 80g of protein from dietary sources alone even with lots of Soy Milk, TVP and Soy Protein Isolate Meats, and High Protein Grains, Beans and Nuts. I just checked out the Thrive website ( http://thriveforward.com ) and am looking forward to watching the pile of videos recommended based on my chief concerns.

I like that it is tailored to the individual (the website that is), and it is not just focused on athletes either. I have most of my issues with mood, sleep, and general health concerns, and it was really nice to see that those were part of the Thrive focus. I think I may check out the books and resources, depending on how I like what I see and how the shakes taste. :happy:

:heart: Ketsy :heart: , Vegan x 5 Weeks And Loving It!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    9159792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kimclenard
    kimclenard Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I read 'Thrive- The Vegan Nutrition Guide'. I am inspired by his personal journey and his passion for food, nutrition and life. I have tried Brendan's Vega Vanilla-Chai and Chocolate. Though I love his personal story I did not like the taste of either products. I still use them for the nutrients until they are gone from my pantry but after that no more for me.

My taste buds and Brendan's thus far have nothing in common. Now his philosophy on life and veganism, that we have in common!
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really hope I can handle these shakes, lol, I am hearing mixed reviews about the taste. I also hear that "Sun Warrior" makes good vegan shakes, but I haven't found them in my area yet. :frown:

:heart: Ketsy :heart: , Vegan x 5 Weeks And Loving It!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    9159792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I make a rough protein bar thats a bit different every time. You can add or take from the ingredients as u like but its a bit like this.
    It has no added oils or fats and uses 2 raw oranges to bind it.
    Mix a couple of cups of oats with the following (ground up in a food processor)
    1/2 cup flax seed,
    1/2 cup goji berries
    1/2 cup of chopped dates
    1/2 cup ground almonds
    1/2 cup ground walnuts
    1/2 cup sultanas
    3/4 cup of pitted prunes
    2 raw oranges including peel ground up in food processor
    add a little water if mixture is too dry
    Use non baking paper on appropriate size tray squash mixture down and smooth it out with an egg slice. and flatten smoothly
    heat in oven for about 20 minutes on 200 degrees celsius
  • SleepySin
    Options
    I just bought a tub of the Vanilla VegaOne Nutritional Shake today, as my doctor wants me to aim for 100g of protein per day for weight loss (based on my current weight and the amount I still have to lose till I can have surgery on my bad gut). I was struggling to even get 80g of protein from dietary sources alone even with lots of Soy Milk, TVP and Soy Protein Isolate Meats, and High Protein Grains, Beans and Nuts.

My daily MFP goal shoots for 94g of protein each day based on the way I broke down my macros. On workout days, I regularly hit (and often exceed) that amount - add me if you'd like to peruse through my food diary. I usually do have one protein shake a day (two if I workout in the evening) which shoots my protein up to ~60g on non-solid foods.
  • SleepySin
    Options
    I read 'Thrive- The Vegan Nutrition Guide'. I am inspired by his personal journey and his passion for food, nutrition and life. I have tried Brendan's Vega Vanilla-Chai and Chocolate. Though I love his personal story I did not like the taste of either products. I still use them for the nutrients until they are gone from my pantry but after that no more for me.

My taste buds and Brendan's thus far have nothing in common. Now his philosophy on life and veganism, that we have in common!

I haven't tried the Vega products for two reasons -- Firstly, I have appx. 4-5 lbs of custom vegan protein shake powder at home already (and in various flavors!) and secondly, Vega is pretty pricey. I'm happy with my protein shakes though. They're tailored to the nutritional profile I was looking for and I like the flavors I've tried so far (tried 2 out of the 4 I ordered a few weeks ago).

I agree with you though, Brendan has an amazing philosophy on life and veganism! Not being stalkerish at all but he frequents some of the FB pages I've recently added. Likewise with Robert Cheeke (author of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness).. *cough cough* ;)